Win98: Can't Share Drives!!!!

vicwang

Oct 5, 2000
I'm having a problem sharing files from a Win98 (first edition) based laptop. I'm connected to a router which another Win98 SE based desktop is also connected to. I can see the laptop from the desktop's Network Neighborhood, and I have file sharing enabled on the laptop, BUT the problem is that I do not have the "Map Network Drive" option on the laptop. There also is no Network Neighborhood desktop icon on the Win98 laptop.

Bottom line is, I have about a gig worth of data I need to transfer off the laptop, but I can't until I get file sharing functional. Any ideas?

(BTW, in terms of network settings, both laptop and desktop are configured identically.... and needless to say, file sharing is enabled on the laptop, but still the options are not available).

GAZZA

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
If your not seeing a Network Neighborhood icon then that usually means you don't have a network adapter installed , or configured but if your able to see the laptop from the other pc then that discounts that unless your seeing yourself and not the laptop.

What protocols are you configuring your laptop with tcp/ip ?

vicwang

Oct 5, 2000
OK, problem solved!!! I removed all the services/protocols from the network setup, then reinstalled them from scratch, and everything works now! Thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY