Win7 Install: Disk Read Error at 1st reboot, please help

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
Hi All,
I am brand new here, and found this forum during a Google Search. I thought this looked like a great place to find solutions to all manner of computer issues, so I signed up, and here I am.
I ran into issues with their recovery utility, and rather than send the unit in to be reimaged, I decided to completely wipe, repartition, reformat, and reinstall clean. Also, I have downloaded all of the appropriate drivers from the Samsung Support site for my particular laptop model.
PROBLEM: When I go to install Win7 it gets through the loading and expanding files, and through the initial install, and when it gives notice that it will reboot in so many seconds, I quickly remove the CD and am able to close the CD drawer before it starts the reboot process.
Upon reboot, a message comes up stating that a "DISK READ ERROR HAS OCCURED".
The first time this happened, I re-wiped and reformatted the C (Windows) partition, and reformatted it, then tried again, with the same exact results.
I really need to get this thing completed and would greatly appreciate any and all advice with this issue.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Windows 7 may reboot two or three time during the installation, depending on your hardware configuration, and requires that the installation DVD remain in the drive until you've actually logged into Windows.

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
Windows 7 may reboot two or three time during the installation, depending on your hardware configuration, and requires that the installation DVD remain in the drive until you've actually logged into Windows.

Thanks for the quick reply.

BTW, I am not new here, but I had posted at another forum where I had just signed up, and copied the verbage in here.

The reason that I removed the CD is because I had read of other guys having the same issue, and that removing the CD before the first reboot fixed the problem.

I assuem that I should have the boot priority set to HD then CD correct?
Or should I have it set to boot to the CD first?

Does the 1st reboot actually boot from the CD, or from the HD?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You shouldn't have to touch the DVD drive. The installer will handle when to boot from the HD and/or DVD.

You can find instructions on how to use a USB drive to install Win7. That may work. Or, you could try a USB DVD drive, if you have one available.

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
You shouldn't have to touch the DVD drive. The installer will handle when to boot from the HD and/or DVD.

You can find instructions on how to use a USB drive to install Win7. That may work. Or, you could try a USB DVD drive, if you have one available.

OK, I set the Boot Priority back to HD then CD/DVD and reinstalled with no issues.

However, this time I let the Win7 instalation program format the partition.

The only thing is that the only item on the desktop is the recycle bin.
Is that normal, prior to installing drivers?

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The only thing is that the only item on the desktop is the recycle bin.
Is that normal
Yes. The rest of the standard desktop icons are turned off by default. You have to go into Personalization and turn them on.