Win2k Server - unexpected shutdown

reicherb

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2000
I've got a Win2k server that has shut itself off a couple of night this week. Nothing is happening during that shutdown that I'm aware of other that MS backup is running and in the middle of a job. The event log states, "The previous system shutdown at 11:17:52 PM on 1/31/03 was unexpected". I've searched the MS knowledgebase and found nothing. Do you guys have any ideas what I should be look at or looking for to figure out what is going on?

Thanks.

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
Power problems perhaps. Anything else having problems around that time?

Tell us a bit about your setup, is it in a server room? At home? etc.

reicherb

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2000
The server is an AD Domain Controller in a small accounting office (7 PCs). The server just sits on a computer desk in the corner of one of the offices. I guess it could possibly be a power problem, but there isn't any other equipment sensitive enough to be effected though. No clocks are flashing etc.

I'm not sure what else to tell you....

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I had a similar problem with a P4 system, and never really identified why. It pointed to possible memory problems, SCSI controller problems, and even video controller problems. I got rid of the problem after months by changing computer systems, never knowing the exact cause.

reicherb

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by: mastertech01
I had a similar problem with a P4 system, and never really identified why. It pointed to possible memory problems, SCSI controller problems, and even video controller problems. I got rid of the problem after months by changing computer systems, never knowing the exact cause.

That's not the response I was hoping to hear. You were supposed to say, "just talk to it nice once in a while and all of your problems will be gone."