Question Win11 question: How to drag and drop to a (open) window you can't see

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
On older versions of Windows the solution was easy: Drag and drop from window A down to window B's icon on the taskbar, pause there for a second or two, window B is then brought to the front, then you can drop into that window as you please.

On Win11 it seems that this behaviour has been disabled. Is anyone aware of a 'new and improved' way of doing it, or do I have to fall back to ensuring that window B is visible enough to begin with?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It works that way for me? I have noticed some weirdness. For example when dragging an image from explorer window on one monitor to minimized explorer windows on second monitor a preview of the image popped up when I hovered over the explorer icon which then behaved as you described. A bit of moving off and on the explorer icon finally popped up the explorer window. I suspect there is some timing issue with the preview image popping up and registering that it is supposed to popup the minimized application.

Intermittent bug.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'll try it on other Win11 PCs I encounter and see how intermittent it is. I'm sure I first saw it on a customer's computer, and before I posted the OP I tried it on my laptop. I just get a no-entry symbol when I hover it over the taskbar icon.