Question Win10Pro & Xbox360/One or PS3/4 Controllers w/ ChatPad as KeyBoard & Mouse?

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Anybody try and succeed to use a Xbox360/One S or PS3/4 w/ ChatPad as KeyBoard & Mouse Replacement?
Reason I am asking is I have used a lot of the mini KB/Mouse units, and they work, but just don't hold a charge for very long.
This will be used on my HTPC which will see some gaming (thinking something in the Forza series, or a sports game - where a controller would shine), machine is a X570 based board, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB Ram & a trusty 8GB RX580 (display is 1080p).
ATM I already have an Xbox360 & PS3 controller, so if I stayed w/ current controllers (whichever along w/ correct ChatPad that would work) I know I would need to get an adapter for the Xbox360 controller because it is not BT, where the PS3, PS4 & Xbox One S is BT out of the box and I have a few extra USB BT Dongles, and they are designed to last a decent amount of time compared to the Mini KB/Mouse I have used - mostly Rii brand from Amazon.
Using a full-size KB & Mouse is not feasible for this setup.
I would prefer to go w/ PS4, OboxOne S since they are BT out of the box and setup of ChatPad on the PS3 was DEFINITELY an afterthought.
Please help with a solution to this problem.
Bob

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Anybody try and succeed to use a Xbox360/One S or PS3/4 w/ ChatPad as KeyBoard & Mouse Replacement?
Reason I am asking is I have used a lot of the mini KB/Mouse units, and they work, but just don't hold a charge for very long.
This will be used on my HTPC which will see some gaming (thinking something in the Forza series, or a sports game - where a controller would shine), machine is a X570 based board, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB Ram & a trusty 8GB RX580 (display is 1080p).
ATM I already have an Xbox360 & PS3 controller, so if I stayed w/ current controllers (whichever along w/ correct ChatPad that would work) I know I would need to get an adapter for the Xbox360 controller because it is not BT, where the PS3, PS4 & Xbox One S is BT out of the box and I have a few extra USB BT Dongles, and they are designed to last a decent amount of time compared to the Mini KB/Mouse I have used - mostly Rii brand from Amazon.
Using a full-size KB & Mouse is not feasible for this setup.
I would prefer to go w/ PS4, OboxOne S since they are BT out of the box and setup of ChatPad on the PS3 was DEFINITELY an afterthought.
Please help with a solution to this problem.
Bob

This is a good idea, let us know if you get it working.

The Xbox controller won't work over BT as it does not support accessories over that protocol. https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/controller/connect-xbox-wireless-controller-to-pc You would need to get an Xbox wireless adapter or use it wired. There is an article about it here:
For mouse use

Not sure about the PS4, haven't found much info on it. One plus here is that you can use the touchpad as a mouse using DS4windows