Win10 install -- Express settings or not?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
About to install Win10 on 2 laptops. Have seen lots of posts bitching about some of the things Microsoft has implemented in Win10 and ways you can disable or work around them.

I saw mentioned that if you use "Express" settings when installing, you lose control of some of that.

So, what's the alternative? If you use "Custom" settings how do you set things up when installing?

I found this site explaining how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.

Well, that's post-install. How do I best install Win10 to minimize the invasion of my privacy & etc. negative aspects of the OS?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
In custom, I just turn everything off except for smartscreen. Express means everything is turned on and everything is being sent to MS.

Reactions: PliotronX

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
In custom, I just turn everything off except for smartscreen. Express means everything is turned on and everything is being sent to MS.
Thanks! I'll try just that. I'm about to try my first Win10 install ever on this machine...

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Takes just a brief moment to custom.

I turn off the option to grab and send windows updates to local and internet computers. Suggested apps and other telemetry.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yeah, same here, I turn everything that I can off.
If you did express, and now want to turn things off, there isn't a global way to do that, you have to hunt around for each option.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Yup. Also, custom only takes 1 extra minute of your time, if that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yup. Also, custom only takes 1 extra minute of your time, if that.
I did it just like that. In fact, this is my first access to AT forums from the machine, which is now running Win10

Questions, I have a few right now, but let me start with this:

I haven't run Windows Update yet. in fact, it took me around an hour to get Wifi working, it was a struggle.

Question 1: How do I activate? Just run Windows Update?

Question 2:
I have this machine (Lenovo T60 laptop) plugged into a minidock and I have been running two displays, a 23" digitally and a 19" via VGA. I just pointed Win10 to the driver for the display (on my network) and it installed it. However, I am getting only this on the display: VIDEO MODE NOT SUPPORTED

I go to Start> System > Display > Advanced display settings and the display is there but when I select it I see nothing for its resolution, i.e. I can't change that. :confused:

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Question 2: [/B]I have this machine (Lenovo T60 laptop) plugged into a minidock and I have been running two displays, a 23" digitally and a 19" via VGA. I just pointed Win10 to the driver for the display (on my network) and it installed it. However, I am getting only this on the display: VIDEO MODE NOT SUPPORTED

I go to Start> System > Display > Advanced display settings and the display is there but when I select it I see nothing for its resolution, i.e. I can't change that. :confused:
Got this fixed this morning. I reasoned that the 19" display was being sent a res that it couldn't deal with and that it was likely the res for the 23" display. So, I changed the 23" display's res to the native res of the 19" and they both showed up. Then I was able to change the 23" display's res without altering the 19" display's and both are good now. Got extended desktop working OK after some messing around. Not sure who's to blame for this being such a difficult/opaque process, I suppose it's Microsoft.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, same here, I turn everything that I can off.
If you did express, and now want to turn things off, there isn't a global way to do that, you have to hunt around for each option.
I just found where most of those settings are accessible:

Click the Cortana icon: O <---

Click the Settings icon (looks like a gear)

Scroll down to "Other privacy settings"