Win10 1809 setup requires an MS account if you connect to a network first

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My recommendation is not to connect it to a network until you've set up your (presumably 'local' if you're concerned about this) user account.

I normally connect Windows to a network when it asks, then normally I'd select the 'offline account' option to create a standard local account, but apparently that option is gone now. I tried to force-reboot the machine, which after it had a good think about that it then presented me with the same 'create an MS account' screen, then I disabled the wifi on my router and pressed the back button. Windows scratched its head for a while then gave me the 'create a local account' screen.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The article you posted agrees pretty much exactly with what I wrote.

The article then goes on to state that the behaviour changed again for the 1903 version.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This article exists for the purpose of explaining that it more cumbersome to create a local account, but it offers few solutions to still be able to do so.

:cool:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No version of Win 10 has ever required a MS account. Look carefully at the bottom of that screen, there is an option to login without an account.
Not exactly true. A very recently-purchased laptop of mine, that unhelpfully came with Windows 10 Home "S Mode", during the OEM setup process, DID NOT offer the option for a "local" or "offline" account, during the setup phase, UNLESS I told it that I "Didn't have internet". Then the option would show up.

BUT!

It still required a valid and verified MS ID / account, to transition OUT of "S Mode", using the (Free! So they claim. But they overlook the loss of privacy needed to exercise that option!) MS Store App. Even on a freshly-installed copy of Windows installed from a USB stick created with MCT, after blowing away all of the OEM partitions.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Here's a nice little contrast. I just set up and updated a nice little 15.6" Lenovo Celeron 4205U laptop from Walmart. It came with Windows 10 64-bit 1809 Home, I believe.

During setup, it prompted to join a network, I clicked "Not now", in the bottom-left corner, and, eventually, it asked me what username I wanted to use, and prompted for a password after that. Interestingly, though, it didn't prompt right away for the username, it waited until most of the other setup features were done, and basically asked for the username as nearly the last thing. Which, I thought was slightly weird, compared to how I set up PCs using the MCT USB stick.

Didn't give me NEARLY the hassle that the HP with Windows 10 Home "S Mode" gave me.

I still have to un-install the Lenovo tool (spyware?), and McAfee A/V (probably what's slowing everything down, CPU is only 1.80Ghz).

Edit: Not a bad little Celeron runabout laptop for $199.99, available at Walmart here in the States, of all places (stores). Only 1.80Ghz U-series CPU is a bit light on the CPU power, but they do have an i3 version for $299.99, and an i5 (4C/8T) for $399.99.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm glad I saw this thread earlier before installing Windows 10. I left my network cable unplugged, so I was given the option to do a local account.

You think Microsoft is getting smarter with their Windows 10 updates, and then you see them doing dumb stuff like this (trying to force / mislead users to create a Microsoft account), and you realize they are the same old Microsoft.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm glad I saw this thread earlier before installing Windows 10. I left my network cable unplugged, so I was given the option to do a local account.

You think Microsoft is getting smarter with their Windows 10 updates, and then you see them doing dumb stuff like this (trying to force / mislead users to create a Microsoft account), and you realize they are the same old Microsoft.

On the other hand, they've more or less changed the behaviour back in 1903. I guess they thought the 1809 style of douchebaggery was a little too on-the-nose.