Win XP and Win 98SE dual boot issue.

LKDog

Feb 17, 2000
Ok, here is what I did.

1) Put new WD 80 Gig HD on my primary channel as Master

2) Moved my old Maxtor 20 gig onto primary channel as slave.

3)Wanted to install XP Pro to the WD HD from CD-Rom after setting BIOS to boot up to CD-rom.
No luck.

4) Used WIN 98SE floppy disk to load generic cd-drivers. XP would not install from DOS.

5) Changed BIOS to boot to the MAxtor (DISK 2) into Win 98SE so I could install XP from WIN 98SE onto the WD 80 gig which is Disk 1.

6) Install went fine onto the WD. However, Disk 2 (MAxtor) with WIN 98SE is now listed as "C" and the disk 2 active primary partition on the WD is listed as "D". Didn't think much of it until I went into BIOS to make change now boot from Disk 1 (WD 80 gig).

7) Would not boot into XP. Got error message that said, "could not locate ntldr" or something like that. I am assuming that it could not find the boot file which is directing all of this. I am not sure what file it refers to and what to do if I find it!

Questions-

I want to get rid of Win 98SE and use the disk 2 which is the slave as another logical drive. How do I get the system to boot from WD HD (disk 1) which has XP on it?

I do have Partition Magic loaded on the WIn 98SE OS. I have nothing on the XP drive yet.

Sorry if this is a dumb inquiry, I have never used two OS's before. By the way, why did XP not load from the CD-rom in the first place?
Is there a workaround to this? I have an Asus P3-BF 1.1 G PIII system with an updated BIOS.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

---Tony

LKDog

Feb 17, 2000
Any ideas anyone?
My boot ini file on my "C' drive with WIN 98SE (disk 2)
has the info for the dual boot.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Is there a correct plce to copy it to the "D" XP drive (disk 2)?
Should I make changes to it when I do copy it to the "D" drive.

Thanks for any info.
--T