Win 8 Upgrade, BE CAREFUL!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Update

I bought a full version of win 8.1.
Replaced the HD with an SSD.
Did a clean install.
Everything works, flawlessly.

Go figure.

I am actually liking the new OS.

I also ditched Norton for Bitdefender.

Clean install is always best option for the least amount of issues,anyway glad its all working great,PCs and operating systems can be funny sometimes just like people ;) .

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Could be worse. When I upgraded from 7 to 8, Windows 8 went ahead and touched all my drives in some way that made both my backups non-usable. I lost data going back (including all emails) to 1999 at least.

M$ was on my machine RDP for a full week and could not resolve.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Update

I bought a full version of win 8.1.
Replaced the HD with an SSD.
Did a clean install.
Everything works, flawlessly.

Go figure.

I am actually liking the new OS.

I also ditched Norton for Bitdefender.

Fresh installs are always the best except it is nice how if you do upgrade, it predownloads some of your drivers so you never have to have your NIC drive on a USB drive. Although, I think Win8's generic drivers work with a lot of devices so it isn't much of an issue. I guess that was more helpful with Win7.

Anyway, Win 8.1 Update has RTMed (and leaked by Microsoft directly) and will officially release next month. It has even more "desktop improvements." The power button is finally directly on the Start Screen where it should have been from day one.

jjsbasmt

Jan 23, 2005
WOW, sorry to hear that some are having issues upgrading to 8.1 from 8 thru the online application store. I've done 4 systems (3 notebooks and a desktop) with no issues on any of them. I was also running latest version of NIS on two of them and still had no problems.