win 7 trouble from "re-image your computer"

tomj1

Jan 18, 2011
stores.ebay.com
I need to restore my wifes laptop c drive (has 2 drives) from a backup I made using windows backup. The files that windows backup made on the (external HDD) I'm using consist of a folder titled backup set 2013-12-19 091856 in which there is a backup files folder with 7 .zip files (backup files 1.zip, backup files 2.zip, etc) and a catalogs file with globalcatalog.wbcat inside.
There is another file called windowsimagebackup with a large vhd file with 11 small and one large (3,xxxkb) xml files. my problem is no matter which file I click on, the "re-image your computer" program says "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"
I would think that Win 7 would be able to handle restoring from the files it created from its own backup program (!); but apparently not. Hoping someone can shed some light on how to do this so I don't blow it. I'm thinking I may need to make an iso file from the 7 zip files but I only know enough to screw things up at this point....
any help would be greatly appreciated!
tom

tomj1

Jan 18, 2011
stores.ebay.com
I was able to get the re-image program to work and I thought I solved my own problem, I clicked next and it started to do its thing. BUT, "the system image restore failed" error details: the request could not be performed due to an I/O device error (0x8007045d)
I googled it and see where others get the same error, but only when MAKING the backup not restoring. Not sure where to go from here...could this be because the disk I'm trying to restore to is too far gone to fix?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I was able to get the re-image program to work and I thought I solved my own problem, I clicked next and it started to do its thing. BUT, "the system image restore failed" error details: the request could not be performed due to an I/O device error (0x8007045d)
I googled it and see where others get the same error, but only when MAKING the backup not restoring. Not sure where to go from here...could this be because the disk I'm trying to restore to is too far gone to fix?

Yes, if there are issues with the disk you are trying to backup to, you would encounter I/O issues like this.

Do you know that there are issues like this on the drive?

Edit: don't forget to rule out a bad SATA or USB cable as well.

Last edited:

tomj1

Jan 18, 2011
stores.ebay.com
Just tried to run chkdsk on the laptops c drive and getting some unrecoverable data and letting it run all night only got thru 1%. This all started when the laptop would not boot up and gave the repair your computer dialog.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So the data is bad, not sure if the hard drive is bad, but it sounds like it. Seatools for DOS is what I like to use to check these sorts of things.