Win 7 or 8? new build for Parents

rollacorolla

Feb 28, 2006
I'm building a new desktop for my parents to replace their aging XP system. I was planning on putting Win8 on it, but I have concerns on if they'll struggle to learn it's new interface.

I don't have Win8 on any of my own systems either so I'm worried if they call me with a question I won't be able to answer them. I have been planning to try it out on one of my systems for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So would you recommend Win8 to your parents?

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Windows 7 would be fine if they are already used to Windows XP. I would have gone with that, but Windows 8 isn't hard to use and it's cheap, only $60 to upgrade their XP license to Windows 8.

If you throw their 10 most used apps on the Metro UI they can hit the windows key and press the big fat tile representing the application they want to use :). Although elements of Windows 8 can be a little more abstract and might cause some confusion - Shutting down is a big one.

W7 - Costs more, but the safer option.
W8 - Cheaper, but you might have to give them a crash course.

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I'd just stick Windows 8 on there for the following reasons:
1) It's easiest to do it with a new computer instead of an upgrade.
2) Metro apps on the desktop can be a lot more "parent friendly".
3) You probably only need to teach them 3-4 things for them to actually learn how to use Windows 8 well.

Keep in mind that since your parents have never used Windows 7, anything different from XP is still a change and some education will likely be involved. I say get it over with all at once.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Windows 8, because it isn't as bad as people say and you're parents aren't likely to become over-extended emotionally and attempt to cut their own wrists simply because they have to learn a new way to start a program.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I would suggest trying out Windows 8 yourself first, and make the decision on your own. Windows 8 and the start screen isn't "bad" per se, especially once you get familiar with it and set it up to your liking.

It is very different than any Windows that came before though, and the difference goes deeper than just launching apps. Just configuring the system is confusing at first, and some parts of configuration have more than one interface. For instance, Windows Update is now directly accessible via the charms bar in the Modern UI and the old desktop Windows Update is accessible through the Control Panel that has to be launched from a tile on the All Apps sub-screen of the Start screen (which you get to by right-clicking the start screen and clicking the "All Apps" icon). They both do the exact same thing, but look and act completely different.

Basically, Win 8 is different enough that you probably won't be able to wing it over the phone if your parents call you for help having not every used it yourself.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I like windows 8. Took a while to get used to. I dont even use a ms email to login since last time I used one was in middle school. But most parents that are used to the start button and desktop may be confused with win 8. The keyboard shortcuts are very useful.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I would also heavily recommend getting a Windows 8 keyboard that has the search, devices, and settings keys on it like the new Microsoft keyboards.

rollacorolla

Feb 28, 2006
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll take nitromullet's advice and put Win8-RP on my laptop just to get familiar with it before putting it on my parent's build.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Win8 keyboards, I wasn't aware of them.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Don't torment them with 8ate! Give 'em 7.

I disagree,go with Win8,its cheaper and Microsoft are going in that direction for now and the future ie hybrid OS so probably be easier in the long run.

There is only one 7 ie
SevenOfNine.jpg

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If you have to "Jump" from XP it is "Silly" to install Win 7, and then put the "Mature" people through another Jump in the near future.

When One does something for other people, One should what make sense to do for the Others, and Not use it as an excuse to act upon his own personal difficulties.

:cool:

Last edited:

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
Just ask them!

do they want a familiar interface or do they want to learn a new one 'just because'?

giving them win 8 could be opening up a pandoras box of dissatisfaction and frustration... needlessly for ZERO benefit to them unless they plan on going metro and navigating an OS with 2 completely unrelated interfaces.

with my parents it would be a total cluster$#€¥ nightmare. who knows, maybe your parents like a little frustration in their lives.

good luck

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
before you give them Lose 8, just watch video where lockergnome gives Win8 to father, and he is completely baffled with it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I gave my mother Ubuntu, and she's had few problems. In retrospect, Xubuntu would have probably been a better choice, but it's not a big deal either way.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would also heavily recommend getting a Windows 8 keyboard that has the search, devices, and settings keys on it like the new Microsoft keyboards.

a good time to ask, why is MS heading towards touch based computing..and at the same time heading towards more keyboard interaction ?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It is really sad, but I guess it is harder to young people to shift than it is to Adults.

For Adults that need a computer for Internet activities, email, skype, Music, Netflix, and other basic activities, evrything is already included in Win 8 Start screen (Metro) I.e., in most cases there No need to switch to the desktop.

Using Metro with the big Live Tiles is far superior for casual use than the old desktop style.

Last edited:

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
It is really sad, but I guess it is harder to young people to shift than to Adult.

For Adults that need a computer for Internet activities, email, skype, Music, Netflix and other basic activities are included in Win 8 Metro. I.e., in most cases there No need to switch to the desktop.

Using Metro with the big Live Tiles is far superior for casual use than the old desktop style.

I agree with that.

The media controls the internet. They started bashing W8 early so it's caught on, so now, bashing windows 8 is as cool as owning an Iphone.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
What do your parents do on their PC? If they just do the normal email, internet, run a few programs, I'd think w8 would be ideal. You can put everything they need to access right there in the start menu and be done. If they feel like tinkering, they can just go to the desktop and fool around with it. I don't think it'd be that hard for them to pick up anything if you've placed the programs on the start menu yourself and go from there.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
I'm building a new desktop for my parents to replace their aging XP system. I was planning on putting Win8 on it, but I have concerns on if they'll struggle to learn it's new interface.

I don't have Win8 on any of my own systems either so I'm worried if they call me with a question I won't be able to answer them. I have been planning to try it out on one of my systems for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So would you recommend Win8 to your parents?

No I would not recommend Windows 8 to anyone not already using either a Smartphone or Tablet.

If you really HAVE to go withe MS, Win 7 is fine. Otherwise go with OpenSUSE Linux. Its free and it works. Download VirtualBox and run it as a VM if you would like to test it yourself. It works flawlessly. In fact I do all my browsing and Youtubing via my Linux VM. Keeps my fragile Windows 7 OS safe :)

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
What do your parents do on their PC? If they just do the normal email, internet, run a few programs, I'd think w8 would be ideal. You can put everything they need to access right there in the start menu and be done. If they feel like tinkering, they can just go to the desktop and fool around with it. I don't think it'd be that hard for them to pick up anything if you've placed the programs on the start menu yourself and go from there.

This. Windows 8 is ideal for casual users, especially if you can set up their Metro UI for them.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
It is really sad, but I guess it is harder to young people to shift than it is to Adults.

For Adults that need a computer for Internet activities, email, skype, Music, Netflix, and other basic activities, evrything is already included in Win 8 Start screen (Metro) I.e., in most cases there No need to switch to the desktop.

I myself absolutely loathe the big tiles, but I find many casuals seem to prefer them, if simply because tablet OSs and a trustworthy app store appear more inviting for them.