Win 10 unable to access login screen

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Today I noticed on my taskbar at bottom right when expanding it I saw a brown symbol I haven’t seen before. When I hovered over it, it showed something like “pc needs starting to complete update” or something along those lines.

After letting it do whether it did I can no longer login to me Dell Inspiron 3521 (15r), Win 10 OS.

I tried all suggested advice online from “Holding Shift and selecting restart”, “accessing troubleshooting” which I’m unable to. “Removing peripheral (of which there isn’t any)”, “Pressing power button for - 15-20 seconds & - 30-1 minute” “accessing bios via f2 and changing stuff in there”.

Nothing has helped.

Please can anyone assist me here please?

I cannot get in to my laptop

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
You never said what happens when you turn on the laptop now. Do you get to a log in screen? What does the screen show when you turn it on?

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Whoops!!

Apologies, I get the usual screen with the background scene displayed showing date. Usually I’d press spacebar and enter my 4 digit number.

Now when press space bar the background becomes less clear for a while then returns to chosen backdrop.

Apologies for that and thank you for responding.

You never said what happens when you turn on the laptop now. Do you get to a log in screen? What does the screen show when you turn it on?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The only thing that I can think off offhand, other than malware, would be a wireless NIC update, which would affect the "Gina" drivers, which are interrelated with the Windows Login feature.

Also, does your laptop have fingerprint, and/or facial recognition, login. If so, those may interact with "Gina" as well.

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Ok, so did malware scan and nothing detected.

Tried normal restart n met with original issue.

I chose number 5 this time for with Network but I have no access to internet or volume as you’d expect when in safe mode.

Thanks for ur help so far.

Any ideas?

Great. I’m logged in, in safe mode now without network and am doing a Malware scan.

I’ll update with results which you’ll hopefully get when ur in sync with the UK.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
If when booted in Safe Mode, you are logged in, then the issue is a driver, perhaps that one recently installed. Would removing the password be of assistance ? So try booting into SM and remove the PW protection. I've not used SM this way so its just a suggestion but its worth a shot. If this no worky, a reinstall is always available. The lesson here is to keep a system back up at hand always.

Type netplwiz in the Start menu search bar, then click the top result to run the command

• Remove the tick from the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit Apply

• Enter your username and password, then re-enter your password. Click Ok
Click Ok again to save the changes

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If you have a system restore point dated prior to the date of the update, then you can go back to that restore point and see if it fixes your problem.

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
If when booted in Safe Mode, you are logged in, then the issue is a driver, perhaps that one recently installed. Would removing the password be of assistance ? So try booting into SM and remove the PW protection. I've not used SM this way so its just a suggestion but its worth a shot. If this no worky, a reinstall is always available. The lesson here is to keep a system back up at hand always.

Type netplwiz in the Start menu search bar, then click the top result to run the command

• Remove the tick from the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit Apply

Thanks for your assistance

When you say “That one recently in

When you say “driver, perhaps that one recently installed” to what are you referring please?

What kind of GPU do you have in the laptop?

I’m not sure, I’m no gamer, if that’s relevant? I searched but could not see what GPS I have

When you state “

Thanks for your assistance

When you say “That one recently in

When you say “driver, perhaps that one recently installed” to what are you referring please?

I’m not sure, I’m no gamer, if that’s relevant? I searched but could not see what GPS I have

Microsoft Basic Display Driver
Microsoft Basic Display Driver

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
So sorry for my scatty partial responses as in I’m flummoxed and angry my PC just decided to give up on me, plus I’m having to work via my mobile device to be on the forum.

Thanks to everyone that has been trying to assist me at this trying time

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
It says at the very start “Dell Inspiron 3521 (15r), Win 10 OS”

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Instead of Anger there is always a future functional solution.

When a Device like a Laptop/computer is so important.

1. Get a External USB with an SSD about half of the size of the Internal HD/SSD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2759D...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

2. Get an imaging software on a Boot-able Flash Drive.

Example - https://www.amazon.com/Acronis-2018...ue+image+2018&qid=1565882717&s=gateway&sr=8-2

There is also free softawre as the above but it is usualy slower.

S0.. for the price of few meals in a fast food joint (that loads you with unhealthy calories and cholesterol) you can keep a monthly/weekly/daily (what ever your cycle of importance is) version image of the Laptop SSD/HD.

It is specialy important to do so these daus when there a weeky Updates (sometime ""downgrades"" Bug introducing) to Win 10

:cool:

Reactions: RLGL

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
It says at the very start “Dell Inspiron 3521 (15r), Win 10 OS”

I would download ddu (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) on a thumb drive using a different computer and transfer it to the laptop. Run it and wipe all intel display drivers, then reboot and see if you can start normal.

Most likely it's a driver issue where an older driver was installed that's not compatible with the newest version of Windows. Worse case scenario, you should be able to pull all your data files off using an external hard drive and re-install Windows.

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
thanks everybody.

We don’t eat in fast food “joints” over here, but response appreciated.