Win 10 install errored out after formatting drive now I can't even boot to install media

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have a machine running Windows 7. I wanted to do a complete format and then install Windows 10. I created the Win 10 installation media, booted into it, and then formatted the HDD using the on screen prompts. Win 10 then began installing and I got an error message (0x8007045D) that told me 'Windows could not install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x8007045D.' I clicked OK and the computer restarts but it will no longer boot to the USB stick and everything is formatted now so I get a no boot device found error message. When I go into the boot menu I can select UEFI USB boot disk and it will show the little windows 10 logo and the spinning circle and it will load, but then the logo and spinner disappear and I just get a black screen. I tried creating another installation media and booting to that but it will not boot at all. At this point I think the best thing is to use a freeware usb boot tool to completely wipe the drive and try again, any advice?

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
When you tried again did you use a different USB drive or different USB port? If not, try both. Could also be failing RAM, but let's try the easiest 2 fixes first.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
When you tried again did you use a different USB drive or different USB port? If not, try both. Could also be failing RAM, but let's try the easiest 2 fixes first.
Unfortunately the computer has only 1 USB port. I downloaded a set of freeware USB boot utilities and tried to format the ssd and got an error message saying the ssd was likely to fail and could not be formatted. Going to pick up a new ssd and see if that works.

EDIT - Went into boot menu and realized Dell has some integrated diagnostic tools. I'm running through those now. Just got a HDD SMART failure so it for sure needs a new SSD. I don't think I've ever seen an M.2 SSD fail before. We aren't particularly hard on our computers, just use them for office, email, excel. Computer is from 2016 so I'm surprised to see that it failed.

Last edited: