Win 10 install 'bonked', what to delete before trying again?

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Like many others, after hesitating for a long time, I finally decided to 'upgrade' to Win10 (from Win7). Well, wouldn't you know it? At %76 complete (%4 installing files), it froze. I left it last night and just checked it again around 5PM with no changes.

So, before I try this again, I'm thinking that I should delete some of the temporary files / install files and then let it start again from scratch.

Can anyone guide me what to delete? Should I just delete everything in my temporary folder?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/deadkenr/Win10 install failure.jpg

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I experienced a similar problem upgrading from Win7 to Win10. What finally worked was: to completely uninstall and unplug any USB media capture devices, such as a flatbed scanner and/or USB web camera. If multiple video outputs appear in Device Manager (such as both Intel video and a video card), try uninstalling and removing the video card, or else disabling the Intel video in bios, and only have a single display device appearing in Device Manager.
A fresh install of Win10 may succeed on identical hardware and bios settings, where a Win7 to Win10 upgrade install may fail.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Last year an upgrade I tried also failed. Back when upgrades were mandatory, I ended up actually reinstalling Windows 7 as a fresh install with nothing else, and then doing the upgrade.

Luckily I waited for the last computer and such an upgrade was no longer necessary, and I just did a clean install of Win 10.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
When 10 first debuted my desktop had issues with it when I tried it with 8.1 pro. I was running classic shell and 8gadgetpack with gadgets activated which caused an issue. I had to uninstall 8gadgetpack before the upgrade would work correctly and then I had issues with Logitech drivers for my g910 keyboard. Clean installs of 10 have worked best for me all the way around since the 1511 fall update arrived and now I look forward to Redstone on Tuesday.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Last year an upgrade I tried also failed. Back when upgrades were mandatory, I ended up actually reinstalling Windows 7 as a fresh install with nothing else, and then doing the upgrade.

Luckily I waited for the last computer and such an upgrade was no longer necessary, and I just did a clean install of Win 10.

Hmmm... One of my machines on which I installed Win 10 last year through an upgrade of a fresh install of Win 7 is borked. I've been trying to update it to 1511 for the last 2 days, and it keeps failing and reverting back to an older version of Windows 10.

I think I'm just going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. The only thing is I had Windows Media Center on this machine so now I have the free Microsoft DVD player but apparently I'll lose that if I clean install now. No biggie though. The machine doesn't even have a DVD drive attached at the moment. :p And there are many options I can choose later for DVD playback, and the MS app itself is only $15 anyway.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Thanks for the information. I did create a the install from a USB Flash drive that I created with the media creation tool.

It hung a few times. Until I disconnected two out of the 3 drives I have then ran the install onto a old 96 SSD that I had left around just for storage.

-Thanks

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Hmmm... One of my machines on which I installed Win 10 last year through an upgrade of a fresh install of Win 7 is borked. I've been trying to update it to 1511 for the last 2 days, and it keeps failing and reverting back to an older version of Windows 10.

I think I'm just going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. The only thing is I had Windows Media Center on this machine so now I have the free Microsoft DVD player but apparently I'll lose that if I clean install now. No biggie though. The machine doesn't even have a DVD drive attached at the moment. :p And there are many options I can choose later for DVD playback, and the MS app itself is only $15 anyway.
Excellent. Using the DVD installer for Win 10 1511, I was able to reinstall it. But the way I did it was as an upgrade. From within my previous install of Win 10, I accessed the setup.exe application on the DVD installer, and it allowed me upgrade. So I upgraded Win 10 to Win 10, just like as if I were upgrading Win 7 to Win 10. I got the Windows.old directory there and everything.

So, all my files and settings stayed intact, including the Windows DVD player, but now I have a sort of fresh install of 1511.

I have since used Disk Cleanup to delete Windows.old and some other stuff. Recovered over 26 GB worth of space, which is precious on this 120 GB SSD (which is actually 110 GB). I used to have 40 GB used, and now I have under 24 GB used.

Now I'm ready for Aug. 2, when the Anniversary Update drops. :)

@ Eug: VLC is a free program that can play DVD's, as well as a wide variety of video file types.
http://www.videolan.org/
Yes thanks, I'm aware vlc plays DVD.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I plan to do a triple play on the 2nd and upgrade all 3 of my pc's. The tablet has a fresh clean install of 1511 on it so that one shouldn't have any problems with it. I'm hoping that my laptop and desktop won't have any issues with it either. I'm in the middle of a semester right now so I can't really afford for anything to go wrong with the deskop install as I'm hoping to finish my degree this school year. I maintain a 4.0 GPA and don't need any setbacks like a borked upgrade.