Win 10 Fall Creators (1709) is On.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
I got this update today
So did I. From 1607 build * to 1709 build 16299.125. The 1703 was never offered.

I see unnecessary <excrement>, but haven't observed any breakages yet.

* The pre-1709 update log has been wiped clean. 1607 updates have popped in until recently.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
1709 is causing a lot of issues with old hardware for sure.
Even on a brand new surface book 2 and Dell 9560 there is an annoying flashing window issue when browsing folders. Never had this issue on the LTSB versions which do NOT get upgraded automatically.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
My Toshiba just updated today to Win 10 1709 .. it took over 2 hours .. mostly all went well, but I am missing a lot of the Apps (things like Candy Crush Saga, HP Scan and Capture) and others. They show when I go into Add / Remove Programs, but they do not show on the App part of the Start Menu .. How to fix -- especially without losing my place (at level 471) in Candy Crush Saga ? ? If I go to the Windows store, it thinks I have the App (which I did this morning) .. Yet another screw up by Microsoft when they try to update the OS with new things.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You have to be able to find the app first. Somehow MS screwed things up, like usual. I am not the only one missing some Apps from the Apps List ... Luckily, just a few minutes ago, I did an Uninstall of both HP Scan and Capture and also of Candy Crush Saga, then went to the App Store and reinstalled both of them. I did not lose my progress in Candy Crush Saga .. not sure how this works, but I would say these apps are storing preferences & progress "in the cloud" -- I know you can play Candy Crush from any device and it knows where you are at after you login. -- FYI: I am also using Classic Shell 4.3.1. and it is working fine on Win 10 1709

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Even on a brand new surface book 2 and Dell 9560 there is an annoying flashing window issue when browsing folders. Never had this issue on the LTSB versions which do NOT get upgraded automatically.

1709 has a lot of issues on newer hardware too! :( How do you get LTSB version ?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

I didn't have any problem with the #1709 on a ten-year-old executive laptop C2D. But these echoes I hear, such as yours, are cause for some concern. 3 of 5 systems in the household are seven-year-old Z68 or Z77 systems.

I essentially didn't have any trouble with the #1709 build. This was a pleasant surprise, as I'd anticipated that it would bork my dual-boot Win7/Win10 configuration.

So far, the only headache I've had came with the discovery of DCOM EventID 10016 errors in my logs. A component didn't have the right launch and activation privileges. Fixing it seems tedious. I suppose you'd expect these sorts of problems installing a new features build.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
i am giving up on windows 10 be cause its failing with updates so maybe i need a new computer
Um... What do you think the new computer will come with? You said in another thread that 10 was better tan 7 by a mile. Did 7 give you update issues as well?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I don't understand why MS makes versions like this only for the enterprise: Surely this is a "shut up and take my money" situation. Offer it as a separate edition of Windows to buy and/or upgrade to. For people who don't opt for that, MS would roll out the standard version with whatever crap they decide to automatically peddle like the Spotify client or 'Candy Crush Saga'.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So my 1703 build with a Xeon E5570 has tried at least 6 times to upgrade to 1709. Every time I get a black screen with a small mouse cursor that works perfectly. Nothing else I googled about worked to fix it. So this time I found an article that said "boot into safe mode with netorking" which after reading the instructions I was able to do.

But this is how bad it is, it won't finish booting in safe mode ! All looks OK until I put the mouse over cortana or the start/menu buttun, then I get the swirling circle ! And if I try and click, it says the program is not responding ! And if I try to start task manager, nothing !

Any ideas ?

Edit: actual its windows version 10.0.15063

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Mark ... What brand and model computer ? ? .. I might suggest, get your data off the machine and do a fresh install with 1709 using the Off Line Installer ... That may work

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark ... What brand and model computer ? ? .. I might suggest, get your data off the machine and do a fresh install with 1709 using the Off Line Installer ... That may work
Acer something motherboard, home built. And it works perfectly using that older version. Its my sons work computer at a small business, and not sure about all the licenses, and install of all the software. We kept turning off windows update (service disabled in services) but it would turn itself back on somehow. I can't do a fresh install.

Edit, what I don't get is how it could fail to complete the boot in safe mode, but work perfectly on the previous version !!

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I have not tried this myself, but it is said to disable Windows Updates (you would have to manually do security updates)
From this link: https://superuser.com/a/837949/193287

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions .... If you set AUOptions to “1”, Windows 10 will never check for updates.

Note: Belarc Advisor will find all your installed programs and license codes. You will of course, need the software for the versions you are installing to be on hand. You might want to make an Image of the existing Win 10 install in case you need to restore back to it.

You can also try this:
Restore and repair system files. Select the Start button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt. Choose Command Prompt from the list of results. In the window that pops up, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press the Enter key.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A quick scan shows a lot of Intel driver conlicts between that generation of chip/chipset and this version of Windows. I would suggest you/he disable Windows looking for new drivers, clean out the Windows update cache, and try again.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have not tried this myself, but it is said to disable Windows Updates (you would have to manually do security updates)
From this link: https://superuser.com/a/837949/193287

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions .... If you set AUOptions to “1”, Windows 10 will never check for updates.

Note: Belarc Advisor will find all your installed programs and license codes. You will of course, need the software for the versions you are installing to be on hand. You might want to make an Image of the existing Win 10 install in case you need to restore back to it.

You can also try this:
Restore and repair system files. Select the Start button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt. Choose Command Prompt from the list of results. In the window that pops up, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press the Enter key.
There is no AUOptions directory or entry. I can make the entry if you tell me what type and so forth. This sounds like my best option.

Edit: There is also an entry lsOOBEinProgress that is a "1", should I set that to '0' ??

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit and the key is there ... Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions .... If you set AUOptions to “1” ... the default value is "4"
It is a 32 bit Dword -- value is in Hex

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit and the key is there ... Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions .... If you set AUOptions to “1” ... the default value is "4"
It is a 32 bit Dword -- value is in Hex
This is windows 10 professional 64 bit. I created it anyway, I hope that does it.Here is a pic after I added it, but I rebooted after doing this, services said it was still disabled, 5 minutes later, and its back at the update and running. WTF MS ? STOP already.
cRjMrT4.png

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Since you have Pro use GPDIT

Option 3: Group Policy Editor

This is a halfway house: the group policy editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them (how previous generations of Windows always worked) - though again security updates will still install automatically.

Note: Windows 10 Home users have to sit this one out, it is only for Windows 10 Education, Pro and Enterprise editions.
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 - Notify for download and notify for install’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart
Alternatively for Windows 10 users without group policy access:
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: regedit and press enter
  2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
  3. In there create a ‘32-bit DWORD’ value called ‘AuOptions’ and under ‘Value Data’ type 2 and click ‘OK’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So here is the final result: And I set the services for windows update to disabled. Lets see what happens.
a0BJC2J.png

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, that didn't work, its turned itself back on and was doing the system upgrade, so I just pulled the plug.

Any more ideas ?

Edit: I might have found a way. Go to this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

then click on this link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Then select "hide updates"
Then choose the fall creators update and apply.

Windows update is now running again (even though its not supposed to) but its not doing the fall creators update !!! In fact its stuck at 0% (I could care less, so long as it does not the the fall creators update)

Edit: it finished that update, and one this morning, still doing OK. But DON'T check for updates, or it will find it and start it again. If you do, hit reset immediately, then run this again. Just let the other auto-updates (like virus defs) run by themselves.

Last edited: