Question Win 10 Blue Screen

jummbles

Jun 22, 2019
Hi y'all,

I recently updated my Windows 10 and am now experiencing a blue screen. Here are a list of things I've tried thus far...

-Resetting the PC (but I get a message that "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.")

-Startup Repair (but I get a message that "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC." I also get a Log file: "C:\\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt" - but I'm not sure what, if anything, that means.

-"Use a Device" option, of which I can either use "Onboard NIC (IPV4)" or "Onboard NIC (IPV6"; both options lead to the message "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC." I even created a recovery disk using a flash drive and my cousin's computer, but my computer doesn't show my flash drive as an option when I click on "Use a device."

-"Go back to a previous version," but then I geta message that "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead."

-Going into UEFI Firmware Settings, but I'm not sure what to do once I'm there.

-I don't have any System Image to Recover Windows to.

-Under Startup Settings, I'm not able to boot the computer into Safe Mode, or any of the other options it gives me (1-9). Hitting F10 for other options, and then hitting F1 for "Launch Recovery Environment" only takes me back to the same blue screen.

I would love any suggestions if you have them. Thanks for your time.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It honestly sounds like your hard drive might be failing. If it's a mechanical hard drive it has a much higher failure rate than if it's a solid state drive.

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
Sounds like some corrupt system files either due to the updates (which can happen from time to time, I've experienced similar even on a clean install from scratch, infuriating at the time..) or it could be as pointed out above a failing drive, thankfully that's really quite easy to diagnose run cmd.exe as administrator and type in chkdsk /f /r /x this will scan the drive for any bad sectors and attempt to fix any errors it finds and recover any bad sectors.

If this comes back ok, then also within the cmd prompt you can use the command sfc /scannow and this will check the OS files integrity and attempt to fix any system file issues that it finds.