Will you vote/not vote for a presidential candidate based on their religious beliefs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does religion matter for your voting decision?

• I'm atheist/agnostic and religion does matter.

• I'm atheist/agnostic and religion does not matter.

• I'm Protestant and religion does matter.

• I'm Protestant and religion does not matter.

• I'm Catholic and religion does matter.

• I'm Catholic and religion does not matter.

• I'm Mormon and religion does matter.

• I'm Mormon and religion does not matter.

• I'm (other religion) and religion does matter.

• I'm (other religion) and religion does not matter.

Results are only viewable after voting.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The big question is why athiests are scared of someone with a little religion?

In reality everyone bases their actions on the sum whole of their character. Religion can help to form a person's character and their morals. So can whacked out new age philosophy.

Judge not a man by his color buy by the content of his character . . .

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
The main difference is that some think they must shove their religious beliefs down everyone else's throats, and force them to obey, even if the others have completely different beliefs.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000

In reality everyone bases their actions on the sum whole of their character. Religion can help to form a person's character and their morals. So can whacked out new age philosophy.

Religion really helped Newt's character & morals.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Makes more sense to look at a politicians experience and voting history. What they say does not mean anything. It always seems like Christians are trying to claim they are christians when their actions dont back up their claims.

ftfy.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Catholic here. Voting based on religious beliefs is just as dumb as single-issue voting, perhaps even more so. I'd rather see what positions a candidate holds, then decide from there.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Yeah, it's not like religion has ever blocked human progress.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm a more or less non-practicing Protestant and religion does matter to me. I would demand a higher standard of an atheist, Muslim, or outspoken evangelical candidate before I'd vote for him or her, but it would not be a complete ban.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm a more or less non-practicing Protestant and religion does matter to me. I would demand a higher standard of an atheist, Muslim, or outspoken evangelical candidate before I'd vote for him or her, but it would not be a complete ban.

does that mean you accept lower standards from people inside your own christian sect?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
does that mean you accept lower standards from people inside your own christian sect?
In effect, yes, although I don't actually have a sect and consider Protestants (including Mormons), Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, Taoists, Confucians, Baha'ists, Hindus and Jainists on pretty much the same level. It's only where I think a religion is way out there and/or often problematic (i.e. Islam) that I consider religion a factor. On atheists too (meaning people who insist there is no G-d, not agnostics) I look askance - to be an atheist is to proclaim that there is no higher power than oneself, and that's not often someone I really trust with power.

That's not to say I would not vote for an atheist, evangelical, or Muslim, merely to say I'd have to look more closely at such a candidate before deciding to vote for him or her.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In effect, yes, although I don't actually have a sect and consider Protestants (including Mormons), Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, Taoists, Confucians, Baha'ists, Hindus and Jainists on pretty much the same level. It's only where I think a religion is way out there and/or often problematic (i.e. Islam) that I consider religion a factor. On atheists too (meaning people who insist there is no G-d, not agnostics) I look askance - to be an atheist is to proclaim that there is no higher power than oneself, and that's not often someone I really trust with power.

That's not to say I would not vote for an atheist, evangelical, or Muslim, merely to say I'd have to look more closely at such a candidate before deciding to vote for him or her.

Fair enough. I choose to try and scrutinize equally. If their religion seems to apply itself to policies, I steer clear.

In terms of trusting an Atheist vs Religious, has trusting religious minded individuals really gotten us that far?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Fair enough. I choose to try and scrutinize equally. If their religion seems to apply itself to policies, I steer clear.

In terms of trusting an Atheist vs Religious, has trusting religious minded individuals really gotten us that far?
Not really. One problem is that religion, like character, does not necessarily equal intelligence or competence; one can be stupid or incompetent with the best of intentions. Another and much bigger problem is that we train our politicians to lie. Since so many Americans either won't vote at all for a Muslim or atheist, or will be less likely to vote for him/her, the vast majority of our politicians pay at least lip service to Christianity of one flavor or another. If voters favored atheists, rest assured that the vast majority of our current politicians would be assuring us they never fell for any of that mumbo-jumbo.

I should point out though that "steering clear" of those whose religion you think will affect their politics/performance is the same as steering clear of those I don't trust based (at least in part) on their religion or lack thereof; it's just the flip side of the coin.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
IMHO. a rather hopeless thread, as soon as we say morality must be based on religion, we only shed heat and never any light.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
IMHO. a rather hopeless thread, as soon as we say morality must be based on religion, we only shed heat and never any light.
OP never said that, nor intimated it. One may have no problem with another's morality but fear he will enforce it on them. I greatly respect Santorum for his personal morality; I will actively vote against him because he seeks to enforce it on others.

Atheists are not scared of anyone with a little religion. Atheists are scared of someone with a lot of religion.
LOL Point.

Respect the man who says he seeks to know G-d's will. Fear the man who says he knows it.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
interesting to see all the "NON" religious people on this forum ... Figured there more religious than not.

Other then that I believe religion does matter ... you can't tell me that if an atheist were running against a Mormon (for example) ... I would think the non believer would be more inclined to vote for a non believer ... The issues and idea's would be at each end of the spectrum to not have some sort of influence.

I really believe that bush got in the second time around on faith alone.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not really. One problem is that religion, like character, does not necessarily equal intelligence or competence; one can be stupid or incompetent with the best of intentions. Another and much bigger problem is that we train our politicians to lie. Since so many Americans either won't vote at all for a Muslim or atheist, or will be less likely to vote for him/her, the vast majority of our politicians pay at least lip service to Christianity of one flavor or another. If voters favored atheists, rest assured that the vast majority of our current politicians would be assuring us they never fell for any of that mumbo-jumbo.

I should point out though that "steering clear" of those whose religion you think will affect their politics/performance is the same as steering clear of those I don't trust based (at least in part) on their religion or lack thereof; it's just the flip side of the coin.

1st Part: Agree

2nd Part: Tentatively Agree: I am skeptical of any Religious influence, and in turn skeptical of almost all politicians I vote for...You are skeptical of other Religions, but not as skeptical of a Religion who's beliefs align with yours.

I attempt to make no allowance, while you do not. Not quite the flip side, but I get what you were trying to say.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I am against any politician of any religion that would insist that I follow his religious rules (usually restrictions).

I am against any politician that takes a stupid position to pander to any religious group (i.e. defund PP).

I am against any politician that would propose anarchy in the name of morality (Blunt amendment).

We need to take an axe to this religious BS in our politics and elect people that actually care about all of our citizens' well being.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well republicans say Obama is really a terrorist Muslim.
So we should all be dead by now...??? Or something?

Yetti

May 3, 2000
Personally, I'm deist, but I don't care what a candidate's religious affiliation is as long as they don't try to legislate their religion on everyone else.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
the only thing in this realm that will get me to vote or not vote for a candidate is religious bigotry

candidates that use voter's pregidous views against their opponents are people i cannot support. huckabee did it in 2008 and perry and some of the others did it in 2012

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I will NOT vote for a Mormon.

Of course, the Mormons who have been in the race, (Romney and Huntsman) are both Republicans, so I wouldn't vote for them any way...but I wouldn't vote for a Mormon Democrat...if there was such a beast.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Of course, the Mormons who have been in the race, (Romney and Huntsman) are both Republicans, so I wouldn't vote for them any way...but I wouldn't vote for a Mormon Democrat...if there was such a beast.

uh , you know the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is a Democrat Mormon? no? if you lived in Nevada you could vote for him or not

i think some people have a misconception that 100% of Mormons are conservative republicans, that isn't the case

also Stewart Udall Secretary of the Interior from 1961-1969 in the administrations of President John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson was a Mormon Democrat, Kennedy must not have had a problem with Mormons in politics

Last edited:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It makes me a little nervous when people who may take on a powerful leadership role talk publicly about doing what the voices in their head tell them to do. Normally you'd think this would be cause for a thorough psychological evaluation and proper treatment, not reverence. Such is the world we live in.

With that said, it's hardly the only thing determining my vote.

May 16, 2000
The only way it becomes involved to me is if the candidate is trying to include religion in government or legislation...then I will ALWAYS vote against them, no matter what. I'd vote for Charles Manson before I'd vote for a theocrat.