Will you vote/not vote for a presidential candidate based on their religious beliefs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does religion matter for your voting decision?

• I'm atheist/agnostic and religion does matter.

• I'm atheist/agnostic and religion does not matter.

• I'm Protestant and religion does matter.

• I'm Protestant and religion does not matter.

• I'm Catholic and religion does matter.

• I'm Catholic and religion does not matter.

• I'm Mormon and religion does matter.

• I'm Mormon and religion does not matter.

• I'm (other religion) and religion does matter.

• I'm (other religion) and religion does not matter.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The big question is why athiests are scared of someone with a little religion?

In reality everyone bases their actions on the sum whole of their character. Religion can help to form a person's character and their morals. So can whacked out new age philosophy.

Judge not a man by his color buy by the content of his character . . .

Philosophy is importaint yes, and voting 'yes it matters' is essentially saying that. How is that not judging them by their character?

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Philosophy is importaint yes, and voting 'yes it matters' is essentially saying that. How is that not judging them by their character?

Because a person's broadly defined religious affiliation doesn't say very much about the individual's character. The variance of individuals' character within a sub-population is far more significant than the differences between population means. Even if population means have clearly measurable differences, it is still a poor judgment process to use that as a basis for judging individuals unless those populations are themselves highly homogeneous.

Once you know enough about an individual to judge them accurately, knowing their religious affiliation rarely has much more to contribute. After all, you already know the individual. Even in Santorum's case, knowing his religious affiliation does nothing to illuminate his actual level of insanity. He holds the same nominal religious affiliation as JFK.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I didn't vote because the option.

The "I don't care what religion the candidate is as long as he follows the doctrine of a wall between church and state as espoused most famously by Thomas Jefferson."

isn't in the poll.

I don't care what your beliefs are however, the 1st Amendment is clear...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The intent is clear Congress no laws favoring or prejudiced against any religion should be passed. The only way to really make this possible is for governments to take as much as a hands off policy as possible. Yes, this does mean that religious messages in courtrooms and public schools can be seen as promoting one religion over another.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Given that there are bad apples amongst every group, it is foolish to just give a person within your group blind support.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
What if the candidate wishes to bring their religion into their way of governing?
Already have, but will the people ever learn?

George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month.Mr Bush revealed the extent of his religious fervour when he met a Palestinian delegation during the Israeli-Palestinian summit at the Egpytian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, four months after the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
One should never vote based on religion. Its a no brainer and leads down a path of no return. Rigt now the 2 most powerful religions in The USA is the Democraps and the repugnuts. Voting based stricly on religion is the path to slavery by your overlords.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
uh , you know the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is a Democrat Mormon? no? if you lived in Nevada you could vote for him or not

i think some people have a misconception that 100% of Mormons are conservative republicans, that isn't the case

also Stewart Udall Secretary of the Interior from 1961-1969 in the administrations of President John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson was a Mormon Democrat, Kennedy must not have had a problem with Mormons in politics

Fair, points, but they are exceptions - a few interesting things:

- a poll shows 74 percent of Mormons 'lean Republican'; 17 percent 'lean Democrat

- Only 8 percent say they're "liberal"; 66 percent say they're "conservative", while only 37 percent of the US says that

- 31 percent say there is a lor of discrimination against blacks in the US; 46 percent say there is a lot of discrimination against mormons

- 86 percent have a favorable opinion of Mitt Romney; only 22 percent do of Harry Reid

- 25 percent have a favorable opinion of President Obama, about half the national rate

So, let's be clear, 'Democratic Mormons' exist, but are the relative exception.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
1st Part: Agree

2nd Part: Tentatively Agree: I am skeptical of any Religious influence, and in turn skeptical of almost all politicians I vote for...You are skeptical of other Religions, but not as skeptical of a Religion who's beliefs align with yours.

I attempt to make no allowance, while you do not. Not quite the flip side, but I get what you were trying to say.
That's pretty much it. The tenets of Buddhism for instance do not align at all with the tenets of Christianity, but I'm satisfied that the vast majority of followers of Buddha mean no harm to me and my country. I'm not at all satisfied that the vast majority of followers of Muhammad mean no harm to me and my country. But I recognize that there is a lot of variation in Islam, so I won't categorically rule out voting for a Muslim. Instead I'd try to divine his or her personal belief system, how much he or she appears vulnerable to influence from his religion, and how much I can trust him or her. If I decide that person is honestly a truly moderate Muslim and relatively immune to pressure from the radical majority of that religion's clerics, then and only then I'd consider his/her other merits in deciding how to vote.

Last edited:
May 16, 2000
That's pretty much it. The tenants of Buddhism for instance do not align at all with the tenants of Christianity, but I'm satisfied that the vast majority of followers of Buddha mean no harm to me and my country. I'm not at all satisfied that the vast majority of followers of Muhammad mean no harm to me and my country. But I recognize that there is a lot of variation in Islam, so I won't categorically rule out voting for a Muslim. Instead I'd try to divine his or her personal belief system, how much he or she appears vulnerable to influence from his religion, and how much I can trust him or her. If I decide that person is honestly a truly moderate Muslim and relatively immune to pressure from the radical majority of that religion's clerics, then and only then I'd consider his/her other merits in deciding how to vote.

pssst...Buddhism doesn't have tenants...it's not an apartment complex. It does, however, have tenets.

RedString

Feb 24, 2011
Religion doesn't matter as long as they do not attempt to force their views onto the public.

Romney, Obama, Paul, Gingritch - don't care about their religious views.

Santorum, his religious views absolutely began to matter at the point he began using them to validate his political choices every time he opens his mouth nowadays.

So no, religious views don't matter as long as you don't attempt to justify your actions solely on these views. Which is what Santorum is doing.

to be an atheist is to proclaim that there is no higher power than oneself

Except that it's entirely possible for an atheist to claim the good of the group is always preferable over themselves or another individual.

Last edited: