Will you buy Modern Combat 2 for $60-$65 on the PC

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
If I wanted to overpay by that much I'd buy a console ;) Seriously though, console games cost that much to offset the loss manufacturers sell the systems at. For a PC game to cost that much is just robbery. They can screw themselves as far as I'm concerned.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seriously though, console games cost that much to offset the loss manufacturers sell the systems at.

This is a very valid point, but I think the floor falling out on Activision's PC revenue has them trying anything they can to make additional money. Hell, they dropped Brutal Legend and then decided to sue when someone else decided to publish it. Activision hasn't been playing very nice with anyone lately.

It's more than 4 times slower on the PS3, that's how badly this game was ported.

Couple different things there, I said from off to in game. Both my PS3s managed to stomp every PC I have in the house at that test. Besides that though, when talking about the quality of the port, please remove all but 256MB of RAM in your PC and load it up, see how it fares. Heh, FO3 is a very, very poor port, but not because of anything you have brought up so far(well, they should have allowed you to install the game like all of the top tier developers offer, that would have likely cut the load time in half at least).

If people are complaining about PC games being bad ports of console games, they need to play Fallout 3 on the PS3 to see what bad porting looks like.

The things they should be looking for are lack of patches(every Bethesda game is a coding travesty upon release, sadly the PS3 version of the game doesn't get the patches the other ports do to fix the issues) terribad texture support(I have no idea why it is so horrible, one of if not the weakes PS3 game out as far as texture quality) and occaisonal framerate issues(not anywhere that makes sense either, final battle even runs like butter, random looking in an empty area causes stutter).

It's not the platforming that kills megaman but the way the game has 1 linear path and the only way to know how to play it is to just play the game over and over again.

I'm assuming you are from a different generation then I am, that's pretty much how every game was when we were just coming out of the arcades.

How would you ever guess that you're supposed to kill Bubble Man before Flash Man and that you need the Rush Jet before you can beat Heat Man?

You don't need to beat any boss before another, it just makes it a lot easier. Everyone of the bosses before the final level can be beat without any of the special upgrades. Some of them go from monster challenge to lol, but it can be done.

It's great that LBP can be modded, but one needs to wade through garbage to find a gem.

Come on man, you can't say that is a shred different then PC mods in any way. If you frequent PC forums you will of course know what the good mods are, same situation with LBP mods :)

Ironically GT and Uncharted don't appear in the PS3's top 15 list there either
(Uncharted is #20

Heh, Unchartered is what, 3 points away from being in 9th place? Metacritic isn't ideal IMO, just saying better then Gamespot by a lot.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
will wait until there's a sale to buy this since i get owned regardless if i play from release day, or not haha
my skills suck

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I am in for two copies on release day, regardless of what they are going to charge for it.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
Even though console games have licensing fees, I wonder if the overall cost for developing on a console is cheaper.

I imagine providing tech support for a game on PC is much more expensive. With a console, there are probably fewer issues, and if there are any issues, everybody has the same one so it should be easier to recreate the issue and solve. With the PC you probably have a lot of hardware compatability issues that need to be ironed out (and tested before release).

Maybe the DLC culture of consoles means there's a higher profit margin on console sales compared to PC sales?

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Couple different things there, I said from off to in game. Both my PS3s managed to stomp every PC I have in the house at that test. Besides that though, when talking about the quality of the port, please remove all but 256MB of RAM in your PC and load it up, see how it fares. Heh, FO3 is a very, very poor port, but not because of anything you have brought up so far(well, they should have allowed you to install the game like all of the top tier developers offer, that would have likely cut the load time in half at least).

OK, now compare turning on a flashlight to booting up your PS3. But first put your PS3 in the trunk of your car and throw the car keys in a lake. Bonus points if it's a waterproof flashlight that you can use to help you locate your keys in the murky water!

UptheIrons

Aug 14, 2009
$49.99 at frys.com. So far walmart.com has the best pre-order deal at $49.99 and u get an extra $10 egift card. So shop around n quit bitchin.

UptheIrons

Aug 14, 2009
But to answer the question: Hell no I will not be buying the game for $60 or $65
Originally posted by: UptheIrons
$49.99 at frys.com. So far walmart.com has the best pre-order deal at $49.99 and u get an extra $10 egift card. So shop around n quit bitchin.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
so the economy is in the tank. The video game industry is down 22% since last month and to fix it they raise prices? GG.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
so the economy is in the tank. The video game industry is down 22% since last month and to fix it they raise prices? GG.

At $60 MC2 will be one of the top 5 selling games this year worst case. May not be the message we would like to send Activision, but it is the one they are going to get.

OK, now compare turning on a flashlight to booting up your PS3. But first put your PS3 in the trunk of your car and throw the car keys in a lake. Bonus points if it's a waterproof flashlight that you can use to help you locate your keys in the murky water!

He was talking about the quality of the port, and cold boot is normal for loading console games. If you want to compare the quality of the *port* for load times you eliminate as many varriable as possible. Saying that console games normally take longer to load then console games which is at least partly due to the fact that they tend to be cold booted into the game, you would have a very valid point. But that doesn't mean their is an issue with a particular port of a game(there are many problems with this particular port, loading isn't a big one though).

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

People are forced to buy gas at horrendous prices so why not video games as well? I mean..both are items we NEED in order to live, right?

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
I definitely won't pay $60 for it. The highest priced PC games so far were Doom 3 and HL2 which were $55 at release. This game doesn't compare to those unless you are only into MP and I think MP is stupid. I only like SP and online coop games.

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Well I for one will be buying it.

The only multiplayer FPS that I played more than COD4/5 was Counter strike/source.

Some hardcore PC people bitch about COD 4/5, but honestly they are really well made games.

COD 5 just got additional maps released. The in game browser works pretty damn well and you can join friend's servers very easily. I never understood whey people bitched about WaW so much. The game runs solid and looks good on the PC.

There are always thousands of servers up. The multiplayer has tons of unlocks.

COD 5 gets an undeserved bad rap, especially on the PC side.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Wow, good find. If you regularly shop at Walmart anyway, or can find something you would buy there for $10 or more, then this is a really good deal.

How long do they typically take preorders for games?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: RedBeard
Well I for one will be buying it.

The only multiplayer FPS that I played more than COD4/5 was Counter strike/source.

Some hardcore PC people bitch about COD 4/5, but honestly they are really well made games.

COD 5 just got additional maps released. The in game browser works pretty damn well and you can join friend's servers very easily. I never understood whey people bitched about WaW so much. The game runs solid and looks good on the PC.

There are always thousands of servers up. The multiplayer has tons of unlocks.

COD 5 gets an undeserved bad rap, especially on the PC side.

I just bought COD4 a couple weeks ago and my only complaint is that the game seems to allow too much firing through walls. Half the time I die I have no idea where it came from and I suspect the bullets went through one or more walls before killing me.

I see people equip machine guns and just spray at the walls the entire time. It's kind of annoying, and I wish they would make the walls more difficult to shoot through in MW2.

I also own COD5 but haven't really played the multiplayer yet.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool84
I'm not buying the game anways. CoD4 got boring with the nade spam fest and im sure this'll be the same.

This is a n00b question, but I just bought COD4 a couple weeks ago and have to ask - in what way is it a nade spam fest? IIRC you can only carry 1 frag grenade, and if you have a M16/M4 you can have an extra 2 if you use the grenade launcher. Is that all you're referring to, or is there something else?

EnzoLT

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2005
its something else, esp at the cargo ship level. just throw all your grenades out and you are bound to hit at least 2, lol.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Shaq
I definitely won't pay $60 for it. The highest priced PC games so far were Doom 3 and HL2 which were $55 at release. This game doesn't compare to those unless you are only into MP and I think MP is stupid. I only like SP and online coop games.

Um, Doom 3 sucked. And its "MP" was terrible. CoD4 is rated much higher, and Ill bet $1 COD: MWF2 will be as well.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Ill get ot OEM via a GPU purchase, I don't care about extras so no reason to buy at retail.