Will Windows 10 still have windows media center support?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Will windows 10 still have media center support? Haven't heard it either way. I am loving not having to pay for set top boxes.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I'm guessing no. Unhinging WMC from windows 8 was probably microsoft's way of easing us into a WMC-less world. I'm saddened by this, but at least i'll have a reason to try some new media center solutions now. In any case, you certainly don't have to start paying for set top boxes just because WMC is defunct.

On that subject, what kind of media software is out there that can do everything WMC can do? I probably should go ahead and start learning the ins and outs of another program before microsoft leaves me hanging. Is Kodi the only game in town? Anything with plex/amazon/netflix integration? Anything that will work with my existing codecs that I've so meticulously set up for my equipment and tastes? Remote control support? TV tuner support? etc.

Last edited:

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I find this so sad. I had the XP version, skipped Vista and am now on W7. I hope W7/8 support continues for a long time. But I guess they could stop allowing access to guide data :(.

If there's another way to tune channels like HBO on cable card I'd be willing to try it. We have Charter, and their set-top boxes' menus, guides, etc. are like stepping into the dark ages compared to WMC. You have to scroll endlessly to find anything.

Damn TiVo has a monthly fee.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
In any case, you certainly don't have to start paying for set top boxes just because WMC is defunct.

On that subject, what kind of media software is out there that can do everything WMC can do?

this is why im concerned. not sure what else is out there that i can use in my house with the HD Home run prime thats simple enough for my wife and other people coming over to figure out

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I'm guessing no. Unhinging WMC from windows 8 was probably microsoft's way of easing us into a WMC-less world. I'm saddened by this, but at least i'll have a reason to try some new media center solutions now. In any case, you certainly don't have to start paying for set top boxes just because WMC is defunct.

On that subject, what kind of media software is out there that can do everything WMC can do? I probably should go ahead and start learning the ins and outs of another program before microsoft leaves me hanging. Is Kodi the only game in town? Anything with plex/amazon/netflix integration? Anything that will work with my existing codecs that I've so meticulously set up for my equipment and tastes? Remote control support? TV tuner support? etc.

I see a lot of WMC fans freaking out and looking for new solutions, but honestly Windows 7 and 8 have a lot of life left. I don't use WMC, but if it fit my needs I would run it until MS shut off the TV guide. It is a dead end, but on some things it was years ahead of its time so a little stagnation doesn't hurt. WMC's interface has been surpassed, but it might still be the best live TV backend out there.

Kodi certainly is a good option for a frontend and is my HTPC software of choice. It can work with a variety of tuner backends (including WMC if you want a gradual transition) and can be VERY easy to use in regards to the GUI and remote usage. It doesn't need codecs, it have its own decoding engine based on FFMPEG. It can be the best looking out of all the different media center softwares, and is flexible enough to be on devices like FireTVs or Pis for cheap clients. The thing is Kodi is only a front-end you have to find another back end to do the recording. Plex isn't really an option, all the stuff I have seen to add in a Live tv "channel" are hacks. Their developers are kinda looking at Live TV like MS is from what I have read.

jRiver supports LiveTV I think, I don't know what the backend is. I know Media Browser just recently got LiveTV support, which can work as a backend for Kodi or without Kodi. I am uncertain about cable card support for it though. I know NextPVR supports a cable card though, so that is another option that could also be used with Kodi.

If I was someone who really wanted off WMC I would do a gradual transition as a test. Keep the WMC backend, but feed it into Kodi or some other front end software and see how your users react. That might determine if you can easily get off WMC (by changing the backend later) or if you will have to ride WMC till the end.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
For encrypted cable (I also use HDHR Primes) I only see one PC software option; WMC. No one else wants to pay the licensing fees, which are huge I'm sure.

Kinda. I mean, NextPVR can tune encrypted cable channels, especially with Silicondust/Hauppauge devices. The issue is that it only works with a CCI flag of 0x00. For cable channels/cable networks with a 0x01 flag not only is WMC the only way to record the content, but only it can play it. Which does suck, I hate that. I never used that feature once but I liked that it was there.

The side effect of the death of WMC is there goes the legit users who play by all the rules the content providers set. They will be completely out of the HTPC market, all using TiVos or something. Which really sucks, as without "legitimate" ways to use content the entire hobby could soon have a target painted on its back. WMC this whole time has basically been the equivalent of what Linux distros are to torrenting. It will leave a big hole.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Love WMC... working through Media Browser... it just works so well. Granted, I don't tune TV or record cable or anything like that. I've tried XBMC/Kodi but it reminds me of the XP vs W7/8 argument... sure it does a lot more and looks so much nicer, but I don't need it to do any more or look nicer.

But... to that end, I'll be working with Kodi on my desktop as a primer for That Day when WMC is slain by the EOL giant.

Sep 12, 2004

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
I love wmc, with the infinitv 4 I use my htpc as my primary TV tuner. My cable stb sits unused. After setup wmc is so easy to use even my 3 yr old has no problem navigating it and the wife loved it.
I think if MS had started their own streaming video/audio pay service with wmc they would have had a winner. They would have something to justify the licensing fees but they have nothing, so I can see why they are dropping it.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
But where do you stick the CableCard? :colbert:

Cablecard? The average consumer doesn't know what a cablecard is. Heck they don't know how to switch the inputs on their TV to the computer they don't know how to build that uses a cablecard. That is how WMC failed to capture the living room.

To accommodate this lower denominator the Xbox One will allow your son/daughter/geek squad guy to hook up your cable DVR through the Xbox One's HDMI passthrough so you never have to switch the inputs to play games or watch TV ever again! Just keeping paying the cable DVR rental fees and the Xbox Live fees and you will always be entertained!

Are-You-Not-Entertained.jpg

Its sad.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Cablecard? The average consumer doesn't know what a cablecard is. Heck they don't know how to switch the inputs on their TV to the computer they don't know how to build that uses a cablecard. That is how WMC failed to capture the living room.

To accommodate this lower denominator the Xbox One will allow your son/daughter/geek squad guy to hook up your cable DVR through the Xbox One's HDMI passthrough so you never have to switch the inputs to play games or watch TV ever again! Just keeping paying the cable DVR rental fees and the Xbox Live fees and you will always be entertained!

Are-You-Not-Entertained.jpg

Its sad.

I'm looking to pick up an xbox360 on the cheap to put it in my bedroom as a media extender. all of the money saved by not getting set top boxes already paid for my HTPC twice over.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org

I'm sure that's true, but it is by far the most elegant and easy to use solution I've found out there. We started out with cable boxes but it's funny; where WMC gives you full screen menus and selection options, the cable box's menus and guide screens are filled with advertisements, leaving only a little window to select in. My partner is very non-technical, and he has no problems with WMC. But I know I'm in the minority.

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
This is so disappointing. I've had a WMC/Ceton/Cable Card media server setup for about 3 years now streaming television to various PC(s) and laptops (and one Xbox 360) connected to my network.

I shouldn't be surprised that it all turned out to be a technological dead-end and that I won't be able to substantially improve it. It just worked too well and cheaply, can't have that! Beat the new, more expensive FiOS streamers STB(s) by about...3 years!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I wonder if Microsoft would consider selling WMC separately at a premium price... say $40? In its current state, that's a bit of a rip-off, but if they fixed some bugs and added some much-needed features (like sharing copy-once videos), I'd be up for it.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I wonder if Microsoft would consider selling WMC separately at a premium price... say $40? In its current state, that's a bit of a rip-off, but if they fixed some bugs and added some much-needed features (like sharing copy-once videos), I'd be up for it.

sign me up too. just give me something that's compatible with live encrypted cable tv.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011

As much as MS is trying to be Everything to everybody, I don't know why they don't expand on WMC. I got it! They could sell it as an expansion of the Office system... WMC365... and make it a subscription! :sneaky: *sigh*

But, in reality, if they could new and improve it a wee bit... I think it would be a good thing.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
As much as MS is trying to be Everything to everybody, I don't know why they don't expand on WMC. I got it! They could sell it as an expansion of the Office system... WMC365... and make it a subscription! :sneaky: *sigh*

But, in reality, if they could new and improve it a wee bit... I think it would be a good thing.

I remember getting Bill Gates' book The Road Ahead when it came out in 1999. It came with a CD that had a video of his vision for the future with police holding sleek tablets that were showing data of a suspect. And, whoa,! the tablet would switch away to a video call with another cop, then to a map with locations pinpointed. It looked amazing, and that seems to have come true.

But he also outlined in the book how microprocessors were working in cars, and how the whole house could be controlled by local computers including HVAC, lighting, security, and ENTERTAINMENT! When WMC came out, I thought MS was fulfilling that dream with something you could replace your cable boxes with and give you control over that content in comprehensive ways, oh and not charge a monthly fee for it (I agree that this is probably why it's not viable anymore).

So I didn't have any qualms about upgrading the HTPC for HDTV (last year believe it or not) and new CableCard tuners. It worked out so well that I just knew this was the way of the future, and I was an early, happy adopter (I started by using an SD signal from satellite boxes passing through WMC, but you can't do that with HD)

But then came the announcement that W10 wouldn't have WMC. I like your products Microsoft, but this is indeed a letdown, and to me a step back.

Holler

May 23, 2000
WMC was great but it never evolved. I am using Plex now and haven't looked back. I don't watch much TV anymore.