Will two cable modems on the same cable feed slow down my connection?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Hi Guys,

I have a tenant living below me and they're installing cable internet service on the same line as me.

I'm wondering if it's going to degrade my speeds noticeably.

Essentially we are going to have two cable modems on the same main cable feed that goes into the house. It only makes sense to me that my connection is going to get cut in half.

The technician is refusing to run a separate line to the house. Should I complain to the cable company?

TIA

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i could be wrong. but if you get 6 meg connection. they get 6 meg connection. Your wire is capable of 100 meg connection roughly. The cable company shouldnt slow you down when 2 modems are involved.
Of course on cable, your sharing with the whole neighborhood. at least everyone on your node.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The technician is refusing to run a separate line to the house. Should I complain to the cable company?

Tell them to do their job and run the 2nd line. Tell them they can't tap your line because they are lazy. Hell yes complain to the cable company. There is no way I'd pay them and have someone else tap my line.

If they refuse then tell your neighbor that you'll run a line from your router and split the cost. Screw the cable company. :p

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Tell them to do their job and run the 2nd line. Tell them they can't tap your line because they are lazy. Hell yes complain to the cable company. There is no way I'd pay them and have someone else tap my line.

If they refuse then tell your neighbor that you'll run a line from your router and split the cost. Screw the cable company. :p

Actually depending on the agreement with the city, "their job" may be to run one line per structure. Most apartments already do this. Each customer doesn't get a direct drop from a multiapartment building....

Considering that Docsis 3 specs at least 4 (with no upper limit) 42.88mbps channels must be supported, I really doubt the OP is going to have issues unless he has 1gbps service.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
If there is no degradation then fine. I was just being supportive of the OP. Didn't want the cable duopoly folks getting lazy. I wish I had the node all to myself. :cool:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
In apartment buildings there is One cable per floor and then it connects to all the appointments, sometimes feeds ten or more modems.

Cable is Not DSL, there is No need for individual lines.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
each band can do like 42/7 on D2. with d3 you can do that times 4 (if implemented for both up/down) this allows far more bandwidth on an all d3 implementation. the problem is the noise introduced from ghetto/old wiring that raises the noise floor for everyone. in that case a point to point connection to a central TAP would make more sense. Also btw, if they split that wire again you will get more db loss. If they install a TAP each run gets an equal amount (mostly) of signal.

rucdma

Apr 4, 2011
What a lazy cable guys. But the speed on the cable doesnt depend on quantity of the lines.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I'm wondering if it's going to degrade my speeds noticeably.

Simple answer - no, you are not going to notice any change in the speed.

Longer answer - Cable modems broadcast on a range of frequencies. Lets say that your neighbors modem locks into the headend at 26mhz. You modem could lock in at 28mhz.

The traffic will never see each other, or conflict with each other, until it hits the fiber where its converted from radio frequency to light, and then its not going to matter.

But the speed on the cable doesnt depend on quantity of the lines.

That is a totally wrong, false and misleading statement.

The quality of the physical cable can have a HUGE impact on ingress, which in turn affects speed. The more ingress you have, the more noise you have in the cable, the more packets are dropped.

Last edited:

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Simple answer - no, you are not going to notice any change in the speed.

Longer answer - Cable modems broadcast on a range of frequencies. Lets say that your neighbors modem locks into the headend at 26mhz. You modem could lock in at 28mhz.

The traffic will never see each other, or conflict with each other, until it hits the fiber where its converted from radio frequency to light, and then its not going to matter.

THIS, I used two cable modems that used the same line and sat 1 foot apart. Needed the upload speed. No speed degrdation at all.