Will this work?

rileychris

Sep 26, 2004
Can I install software onto an external HDD and then use it on multiple pcs? For example, code I install photoshop or World of Warcraft on a USB external drive and then use it on any pc with a USB connection. THis would be sweet for when I am traveling and want to bring my more intensive apps with me. I am thinking i could find internet cafe's with pretty powerful pcs and use them.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I don't think so.

I've played Pocket Tanks off my flash drive on the school's computers, but it didn't work when I tried to install OpenOffice on my flash drive. I guess it depends on whether or not the program needs the registry?

As a side note, there is something called U3 that supposedly makes that work for every program all the time, but I haven't tried it, and it may only be on memory keys.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
No. Apps like that make registry entries and scatter pieces of them selves all through Windows.

If an app will run by only starting an executable file it would work. If there is an installation routine, you can usually forget it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yes, you can. Legally you cant. :) I have installed a bunch of games I legally own onto a USB drive, then got a NOCD exe file for them so I could play them where ever. Doesnt work for some games but for the most part its fine.

Maluno

Mar 28, 2005
No, jackschmittusa was right. Most apps need to access registry entries and various files throughout windows during operation. Plus, some need configured according to machine specs.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
There are some software packages that can be run off of a CD. They can also be run off of a portable drive. In someinstances, that drive and the software have to be registered in each computer used. That is doable - I have done it many times.

One that comes to mind is Eudora Pro for email. As long as the locations, drive letters and .INI files reflect reality, it works.

Programs that require activation, etc. will not run that way - specifically, Photoshop.

Generally, you have to do it on the same computers with very identical layouts. Traveling and using strange machines would not work unless you were able to have all of the DLl files handy and make some adjustments.

For traveling, get a laptop.