Will This Video Card Work In My Computer?

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
Hello,

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section or something, but this is my first post on this message board. I wasn't sure about something, and was hoping someone on here could help.

Anyways, my question is this:

My current desktop computer is a HP Media Center m1070n --> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...nfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=426501

I have had the computer for a few years now, and have installed a few different parts. I have replaced the motherboard at one time with a Compaq equivalent of the board that was originally in it when I bought it. Also, the current video card that is installed is an ATI Radeon 5187-6145 128mb card https://www.serversupply.com/MFGR/HP-COMPAQ/MULTIMEDIA/GRAPHICS CARD/128MB/5187-6145.htm

It has worked fine up until this point. I however, would like to expand my system to run 2 VGA/DVI monitors that I have, so I am going to need to upgrade to a video card that has 2 monitor outputs. I found a card that looks pretty decent and is currently selling on eBay for about $25 used. It is an EVGA GeForce 9400 GT 1GB card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...744&CatId=3669

So, my question to you guys is, will this GeForce 1GB card work in my current system? I have two concerns about upgrading to this card... they are:

1. Will the Geforce card fit on the motherboard ok? I know that the card that I currently have installed is listed as a PCI Express card, and so if the GeForce one... but why does the GeForce card look like it has a connector on the top of the card as well as the bottom?

2. Will my stock power supply be able to handle the GeForce card? I still have the stock power supply installed in the computer... which is listed on the HP site as an output of 300 watts? I know that it is enough to power the 128mb card that is currently installed... but is it enough power to support the GeFroce 1GB card?

I appreciate any help I can get regarding this topic. Also, if you do not believe the GeForce card I have listed will work in my system... would you please recommend a video card for me that supports dual monitors and is a reasonable price? I am not looking to spend more the $50 for a used card, as this is an older computer and I do not want to put tons of money into it. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!!!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Hi, welcome to the bored....

As far as I can see you should be fine with that card, the top connection is for linking the card with another like card, and as the card doesn't have extra power connectors, it draws all power from the slot and means it won't draw more than 75watts, so you should be fine with that PSU.

I'm sure there will be others to confirm that though.

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
Hi, welcome to the bored....

As far as I can see you should be fine with that card, the top connection is for linking the card with another like card, and as the card doesn't have extra power connectors, it draws all power from the slot and means it won't draw more than 75watts, so you should be fine with that PSU.

I'm sure there will be others to confirm that though.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
1. Yes it should, provided that it has the same or smaller dimension than the GPU you're replacing. The connector at the top is a SLI connector, only matters to you if you're going for a multi GPU setup but I don't see why you would with an older and lower end GPU.
2. You don't measure the performance or power consumption of the GPU based on its VRAM capacity, it won't be a problem for your PSU. The PCIE slot alone has 75W of power and will be capable of powering up the GPU just fine.

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
Ok, sounds good. I have my eye on a used one on eBay, and hoping to pick it up for about $25 shipped. Does anyone have any experience with this specific graphics card? Just don't wanna have to end up getting another one in the near future. I do not do any gaming at all on this computer, I just use it to record my business transactions (Quickbook) and sometimes for Dreamweaver/Illustrator/Photoshop. Thanks

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I would download the latest drivers from Nvidia for it as the CUDA may help with some of your apps...

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
It's good that you're getting that nVidia 9400 GT card cheap, otherwise I wouldn't recommend that card. I had exactly the same card and it got toasted in about 1 years time.

Anyways,
1. The 9400 GT card should fit into your motherboard nicely.
2. Your stock power will handle it. I had a 350W PSU made by a local manufacturer when I had this card.
3. This is not a gaming card. It can play some old games like NFS Most Wanted and all, and at medium settings.
4. This card supports OpenGL acceleration for all adobe CS 5. Haven't tried it yet with CS 6. I'm more of a Photoshop/Illustrator user, and this card served me well for both these applications. After Effects and Premier Pro did use the OpenGL acceleration, but I don't use these applications so I can't comment if they helped in the overall performance for these.
5. The 9400 doesn't support CUDA or SLI... so don't buy this if you plan on going for either of these.

lakeober

Jun 12, 2012
It's good that you're getting that nVidia 9400 GT card cheap, otherwise I wouldn't recommend that card. I had exactly the same card and it got toasted in about 1 years time.

Anyways,
1. The 9400 GT card should fit into your motherboard nicely.
2. Your stock power will handle it. I had a 350W PSU made by a local manufacturer when I had this card.
3. This is not a gaming card. It can play some old games like NFS Most Wanted and all, and at medium settings.
4. This card supports OpenGL acceleration for all adobe CS 5. Haven't tried it yet with CS 6. I'm more of a Photoshop/Illustrator user, and this card served me well for both these applications. After Effects and Premier Pro did use the OpenGL acceleration, but I don't use these applications so I can't comment if they helped in the overall performance for these.
5. The 9400 doesn't support CUDA or SLI... so don't buy this if you plan on going for either of these.

Really... it just fried after about 1 year of use? Were you playing graphic intensive games on it, or was that just from normal use?

The card I currently have in there is just a pretty basic 128mb card, and has worked fine for me for about 3 years now. I never had a single issue with running my Adobe products and Quickbooks. However, like I said earlier, I just decided I would like to utilize an extra monitor I have laying around... and therefor need a card with dual outputs. So, this one appeared to fit the bill fine... a low costing graphics card that allows 2 monitors to be connected :D

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really glad I tried this message board out. I may just keep browsing and using this message board even though this graphic card question has been answered. Heck, I've been in college for 3 years now studying a Management Information Systems Bachelors... so it probably wouldn't hurt!

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
Really... it just fried after about 1 year of use? Were you playing graphic intensive games on it, or was that just from normal use?

The card I currently have in there is just a pretty basic 128mb card, and has worked fine for me for about 3 years now. I never had a single issue with running my Adobe products and Quickbooks. However, like I said earlier, I just decided I would like to utilize an extra monitor I have laying around... and therefor need a card with dual outputs. So, this one appeared to fit the bill fine... a low costing graphics card that allows 2 monitors to be connected :D

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really glad I tried this message board out. I may just keep browsing and using this message board even though this graphic card question has been answered. Heck, I've been in college for 3 years now studying a Management Information Systems Bachelors... so it probably wouldn't hurt!

I didn't play too many games with this cards... I only remember playing Counter Strike, NFS Most Wanted, and Far Cry (the very first one)... all at 1024x768 resolution and low to medium settings. And I never gamed for more than 1 or 2 hours a day. Having said that, I realize I could be guilty of using this computer in a room with an ambient temperature of over 42 degree Celsius... yes... no AC/Cooler in my computer room... :\