STALKER
Prey
FEAR
COD4
COH
BIOSHOCK
UT2004/2007
PAINKILLER

I have a new 8800gt 4gb of ram and a new e8400 ready to go. I guess I could dual boot...but wanted to check here first of actual players.

thanks

JC

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
did you go to my house after I left for work today and steal all my components?! that's everything that's sitting around waiting to be put together at home... and even most of the same games. I guess if I build first I'll let you know.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
did you go to my house after I left for work today and steal all my components?! that's everything that's sitting around waiting to be put together at home... and even most of the same games. I guess if I build first I'll let you know.

:)

got the abit mb p35. i built it out of a case to test...works great. had to borrow a friends cpu so i could flas the bios so it would recognize my new 8400... I installed Vista 64bit with no problems. very fast and seems stable, but I have not put it to the test really. just bare OS.

jC

livingsacrifice

Jul 16, 2001
Ones off that list I can vouch for working on Vista x64... COD4, UT2004/3 (2007), FEAR. I haven't tried any of the other ones but I'm pretty sure they would work too, Bioshock is made for vista anyways.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Chunkee
STALKER
Prey
FEAR
COD4
COH
BIOSHOCK
UT2004/2007
PAINKILLER

I have a new 8800gt 4gb of ram and a new e8400 ready to go. I guess I could dual boot...but wanted to check here first of actual players.

thanks

JC

All should run fine,ones that I have personally installed and played in Vista x64 from your list are Prey,Bioshock,Painkiller : overdose,UT2004,Stalker.

I currently have 56 games installed in Vista x64 including some Starforce protected games (still no problems).

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Only game i've had a problem with so far is Farcry. Had to install it in my 32bit laptop, copy the folder to my 64bit, and then run the update patches. I'm more worried about games like starcraft or TA installing.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
Only game i've had a problem with so far is Farcry. Had to install it in my 32bit laptop, copy the folder to my 64bit, and then run the update patches. I'm more worried about games like starcraft or TA installing.

I think you only have to do this if you want to play the 64bit version (why wouldn't you?). You do need to install it under a 32bit os then apply the 64bit patch depending on what version of the Farcry disk you have. Some of the copies have a 64bit installer.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Well you can always just install Vista32 and save 64 for later (anyways you DO get both versions with your purchase, even if you don't get Ultimate you can just order the 64 (or 32) bit discs from Microsoft for your version and only pay for shipping which is 5 bucks tops). According to some testing done in these forums Vista 64-bit actually loses in most of the game benchmarks to Vista 32-bit and I suppose your main interest with your computer is gaming, right?

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Ryland
Originally posted by: Riverhound777

I think you only have to do this if you want to play the 64bit version (why wouldn't you?). You do need to install it under a 32bit os then apply the 64bit patch depending on what version of the Farcry disk you have. Some of the copies have a 64bit installer.

The version I got did not come with the setup64 so it would not let me install it. I must have gotten an older one (came free with my 8800GT).

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Any "Games for Windows" game will play on the 64-bit as it's required to get that branding.

From that list, definitely CoH, COD4, and UT3 (as I play those games).

Tachyon74

Mar 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
Well you can always just install Vista32 and save 64 for later (anyways you DO get both versions with your purchase, even if you don't get Ultimate you can just order the 64 (or 32) bit discs from Microsoft for your version and only pay for shipping which is 5 bucks tops). According to some testing done in these forums Vista 64-bit actually loses in most of the game benchmarks to Vista 32-bit and I suppose your main interest with your computer is gaming, right?

So do you have to order another disc to do that? I got Ultimate 64 for my new rig, and the few problems i have had seem more related to the fact that its 64 bit than vista

So far the only game(s) i have tried and had not work are Serious Sam and Serious Sam TSE (not serious sam 2)

Personally, i have tried bioshock and ut3 and they worked fine.
My half life games work too, and Steam even decided to install a 64 bit version of half life 2

Mandin62

Mar 24, 2007
i have played every game on that list in vista x64 without a hitch. I have very little problems with any program or games. and i have been using it for along time now. enjoy the use of all 4 gigs of ram and dont hesitate for a second about moving to a x64 OS. they are just as solid and capable as there 32-bit counter parts. make sure you have all the correct drivers and if you are really paranoid get multiple versions of each driver. some times the latest the isnt the best. but other then that enjoy. those are all great games too.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
FarCry worked perfectly for me; every older game I have tried has also been fine. Of the games you listed, CoD4, COH, and BioShock I have tried and played without a hitch on x64 Vista.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
I have Vista 64-bit home premium and i've got everything you've mentioned except for "prey" installed and they all work fine...that should answer any questions...
check my sig, similar setup...