Will there be an episode VII?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: WdnUlik2no
A new Jedi Council? hmmm. that may not be too bad then. But there will still have to be brand new characters that people would have to relate to all over again since all the jedi right now are dead, except Luke. If he does make 7 - 9, I still will see them regardless if they suck or not. However, If he does make them, I just hope Lucas doesn't die in the middle of making it and having some other guy take over and screw everything up!
If they borrow from any of the books -- the ones that have been made official Lucas "Canon" -- then you'll get some pretty interesting characters all the same. Chewbacca could come back, but more importantly they could bring in Lobacca, Chewie's nephew and the first Wookie Jedi ever. Even if they're using all-new characters it'd be easy to make 'em instantly likable. Provided Lucas doesn't write it over the weekend like Phantom Menace.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: sao123
If there was to be an episode 7-9... would you want it to be the thrawn trilogy by zahn?

Of course. Problem is that Lucas would never use that material because the audience would know immediately that he didn't write it.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: CheapArse
Originally posted by: yukichigai
I believe Lucas has already mentioned, somewhere, sometime, that he's written something for episodes 7 - 9. If I recall correctly, they focus on Leia and Han's children, twin boy and girl, both of whom grow up to be Jedi. But maybe I'm just high.

bingo

Well, there are BOOKS already out about their children, but they are NOT written by George Lucas.

As much as I love Star Wars... quit while ahead should be the name of the game.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
No way...

...um... unless Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher are willing :confused:

gshock888

Banned
Mar 28, 2003
does lucas have any children? i hope someone would pick it up in another 20 years. that'd be cool (by then if lucas is still alive)

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: gshock888
does lucas have any children? i hope someone would pick it up in another 20 years. that'd be cool (by then if lucas is still alive)

I believe one of his children had a bit part in Episode III.

EDIT: Turns out he is George Lucas' adopted son, and was one of the young Jedi kids in Episode II and III. Jett Lucas

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The will be made. Either Lucas will run out of money (unlikely considering he probably makes a tidy living on royalties alone) and decide to shake the Star Wars piggy bank a few more times, or after Lucas passes on, someone will decide to finish the story....and hopefully redo the first three episodes.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
EP 1 -6 were a single story with a common thread throughout. Darth Sidius and his protege Vader are dead in EP6 - ROTJ. What's more to tell? It would have to be another story with a few new characters, unless they try to say the Emperor didn't die in his fall.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: jjones
EP 1 -6 were a single story with a common thread throughout. Darth Sidius and his protege Vader are dead in EP6 - ROTJ. What's more to tell? It would have to be another story with a few new characters, unless they try to say the Emperor didn't die in his fall.

Go to Starwars.com and check the Expanded Universe BIO on Palpatine. It will spoil some things if you ever plan on reading the books or comics.

foolish501

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
i thought i read on dark horizons that they were planning on putting the next series onto tv rather than at the cinema, like doing a mini series.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: quakefiend420
I believe Lucas has already mentioned, somewhere, sometime, that he's written something for episodes 7 - 9. If I recall correctly, they focus on Leia and Han's children, twin boy and girl, both of whom grow up to be Jedi. But maybe I'm just high.

someone should dig that up...

That's from the Dark Horse comics. The Emperor is reborn and Luke goes to the dark side and Leia has to rescue him. Then the Emperor tries to posses Leias unborn son.

For who ever said FU to the EU, learn to read. The books are far more entertaining that any of the crap Lucas has put out lately.

Plus, even if they just did the Rogue Squadron series that would be cool. Wedge ended up being one of my favorite characters

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
George Lucas will not make any more films. Unless he changes his mind. Given that he is a self-absorbed fading talent guy, I'd say he won't change his mind. He wants to go and make "real movies" apparently. Stuff like intellectual science fiction. Unfortunately I think he's lost all of the ability to make such films at this point in his life.

What will happen is that someone will inherit the franchise when he dies and make more movies which totally disagrace the franchise to a degree that Ep 1 will look great. This pretty much always happens with sci fi franchises.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: azazyel
Originally posted by: quakefiend420

someone should dig that up...

That's from the Dark Horse comics. The Emperor is reborn and Luke goes to the dark side and Leia has to rescue him. Then the Emperor tries to posses Leias unborn son.

For who ever said FU to the EU, learn to read. The books are far more entertaining that any of the crap Lucas has put out lately.

Plus, even if they just did the Rogue Squadron series that would be cool. Wedge ended up being one of my favorite characters

The zahn trilogy was better than the dune EU by the herbert family, but that's not saying much. I for one felt that it went in a direction that was not true to the spirit of the films, in that they went away from adventure and the "romance" style.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Oops I actually quoted the wrong post.

But yeah, Zhan is the man. Hell if they started with the Vong invasion they could use the real actors. It takes place 25 years after ROTJ.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Otaking
No way...

...um... unless Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher are willing :confused:

It'd be hilarious if they were willing.
I immediately thought of what Mark Hamill looked like in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

We need Obi-Wan to come back and say "Luke, use the force to lose weight."

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
how? Peace is restored. The end.

Or, maybe there are still 2 Sith. Always 2.

Actually there ends up being a lot more fighting. The empire just doesn't collapse overnight. They Grand Moffs start fighting for control of the star systems they are currently governing. Then in Zhan's book, Grand Admiral Thrawn comes in and with the help of a slightly mad (as in insane) cloned Jedi (in the books the clone was consisted of cloned Jedi killing off the real ones) and makes all sorts of trouble.