Will the small vent on the 5870 negatively affect cooling performance?

san1s

Dec 3, 2008
Do you think it will? Or can you test it by taping half of your video card's vent and recording temperatures?

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
They designed the small vent on the 5xxx series cards so they would overheat and break

dont argue with facts

Kakkoii

Jun 5, 2009
Other card manufacturer's will make better coolers. ATI went for style with this one more than anything. And I have to say it does look pretty hot. Pun intended.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I personally think it looks ugly as hell, but its all opinion... i think the 9800gx2 is prolly the sexiest video card soo far; its just a brick. Plain and simple, i dont need 3d molding or random ass flashing neon lights in my computer

Kakkoii

Jun 5, 2009
Originally posted by: Ben90
I personally think it looks ugly as hell, but its all opinion... i think the 9800gx2 is prolly the sexiest video card soo far; its just a brick. Plain and simple, i dont need 3d molding or random ass flashing neon lights in my computer

Bu..but...the ladies dig it mannnnn!!! lol

But on a serious note. As an artist, and someone who appreciates beauty/art. I like the things I own to look artistic or good looking. And the same goes for most people. Nobody wants to live in a home that looks like a crack house, they want to own a nice looking home. Nobody wants to own a car that looks like a piece of shit, but still runs fine, if they could have an awesome looking car that runs fine also.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: san1s
Do you think it will? Or can you test it by taping half of your video card's vent and recording temperatures?
It most definitely will affect performance. Will it be significant? We'll see soon enough. My guess is at stock, it won't be much of a problem, otherwise they would have changed the design. Note that due to the radial flow design, most air will come out tangent to the radius of the "pushing" side of the fan, which is where I believe they placed the vent. However, once one starts overclocking, I'd imagine you might see a temperature drop by removing the back plate (especially the higher you clock the card).

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm guessing that there's more than enough airflow with that design. Really, the current cards just have a breeze pretty much exiting the vents, so it's not like a restricted exhaust on a race engine or something.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Kakkoii
Originally posted by: Ben90

Bu..but...the ladies dig it mannnnn!!! lol

But on a serious note. As an artist, and someone who appreciates beauty/art. I like the things I own to look artistic or good looking. And the same goes for most people. Nobody wants to live in a home that looks like a crack house, they want to own a nice looking home. Nobody wants to own a car that looks like a piece of shit, but still runs fine, if they could have an awesome looking car that runs fine also.

People can see the inside of my home and my car when I drive it around. My PC case doesn't have a window, so it's purely functional on the inside.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I believe it will be as efficient as 4870 cooler was. It "started hot" , but once people played around with the fan profiles, the card became polar cold. :)
What I dislike about this particular 5870 cooler is that a part of the hot air is exhausted inside the case. But maybe that is for the better?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Has anyone seen the cooler from the inside? I wonder if ATI actually built channels into the shroud to funnel the air out the half width vent.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Other card manufacturer's will make better coolers.

only problem with this is the hardware itself requires two slots for all the dvi ports etc.
any 3rd party cooler will have to make a triple slot cooler or suffer the same fate as the stock cooler and have just a tiny vent

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
The question is, will airflow be restricted once it hits the exaust vent? At 50% fan speed on previous coolers with a full size vent, air is felt exausting quite gently. The air will have to channel though a smaller vent, so at the same fan speed, it may feel more forceful, but will airflow be restricted?

IMO the vent should allow for unrestricted airflow with a fan of this size/specification to around 60% fan speed. That's a WAG (wild ass guess); but there's clearly a point where fan speed comes in to play.

Additionally, the cooler should allow for airflow though the fin area and then be ported towards the exaust vent. Air should not be allowed to come rushing out of the fin area and spin/stall around the cables opposite all those connectors. Well ported, it will maintain postive pressure with no drag. If it comes out of the fin area and just crashes into to everything, eventualy finding it's way to the vent.. now that would affect performance.

Forumpanda

Apr 8, 2009
Originally posted by: IlllI
Other card manufacturer's will make better coolers.

only problem with this is the hardware itself requires two slots for all the dvi ports etc.
I don't think they are 'required' to put any more ports on it than old gen cards, but I personally consider it extra value to get more display outputs.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Forumpanda

I don't think they are 'required' to put any more ports on it than old gen cards, but I personally consider it extra value to get more display outputs.

depending on which card, i think some will. based on this picture, the more affordable cards will still seem to have them http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8716/5870family.jpg

hmm actually it looks like the 5870x2 has them as well. i can see two little extrusions in the picture

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: error8
I believe it will be as efficient as 4870 cooler was. It "started hot" , but once people played around with the fan profiles, the card became polar cold. :)
What I dislike about this particular 5870 cooler is that a part of the hot air is exhausted inside the case. But maybe that is for the better?

I don't need any more hot air inside the case; Hopefully other cooling designs don't mimic this from the reference model.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I took a 2nd look at one of the pics.. IMO they've thought this cooler design through. My previous comment mentioned they should port the air as it exists the fin sink. Note the black v-shaped walls that port to the exaust vent Looks like it's being channeled nicely.

At 70%+ fan speed, I wonder what will be louder, the mechanical whine of the fan itself, or the "whoosh" sound coming from the vent. Air will be pouring out with force me thinks.

I'm sure this will make it into the review thread soon enough.. total system power, nice idle..