Will the Nvidia Titan $1,000 be $90 in just 4 years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
They way hyperinflation in video cards is going a new Titan four years from now will be $2000.

Yeah but there won't be as much demand, simply because right now we are transitioning to a higher "mainstream" resolution. In 4 years we'll be in the middle of 4k being "mainstream" which means GPU architectures will be designed to cope with pushing this many pixels. I'm sure die space for Pascal/Volta are being re-arranged to be more efficient at pixel fill and operations directly aimed at 4K performance. That way we aren't going to have to buy the absolute flagship just to get acceptable performance.

So we probably aren't going to need three $1000 Volta cards just to hit 60fps in 4K in 2019. Maybe just two mid-range $600 cards will be enough then.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Probably not, considering the original Titan still fetches around $500 used and it is a little over 2 years old now. Cards tend to have more staying power these days as well, GPU tech isn't advancing as rapidly as it used to.

It was certainly a luxury purchase, but I will say I'm still quite happy with my original Titan. Even more so since its resale value will probably continue to be good since DP got cut out of the newer cards under the same name. I bought my 2nd Titan used for $700 about a year ago, so I have around $1800 spent on video cards that have lost a cumulative $800 of their value in 2.3 years time.

The thing is I've gotten to enjoy top tier performance for those 2.3 years and I really don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon either. Even the newest games run with maxed out everything and the 6GB of video RAM won't be outdated for quite some time either. From my perspective I've rather enjoyed the PC market advancing a bit slower than in years past. I can actually build and keep a computer for 2+ years and not have it be worthless at the end of those 2 years.

Last edited:

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
My Titans have been my longest lasting video cards. Normally I'd be upgrading every 1-1.5 years, but breaking that ~2 year mark was a big deal for me. I'm not feeling any urge to upgrade for more performance right now either, but I do admit, I am kind of bored of my Titans. But that is partially because nothing has really pushed to them point where I'd feel the need to try to voltage hack them to 1.35v and ~1350 mhz, and see how they still cope with modern games. Once it gets to that point, I'll have a little more fun playing with the hardware, and once that is no longer sufficient (won't last long because it's only another 10% performance), then I'll upgrade to the latest flagships.

G-Sync has helped a lot too, as running over 120fps is just a bonus to an already great experience.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
My Titans have been my longest lasting video cards. Normally I'd be upgrading every 1-1.5 years, but breaking that ~2 year mark was a big deal for me. I'm not feeling any urge to upgrade for more performance right now either, but I do admit, I am kind of bored of my Titans. But that is partially because nothing has really pushed to them point where I'd feel the need to try to voltage hack them to 1.35v and ~1350 mhz, and see how they still cope with modern games. Once it gets to that point, I'll have a little more fun playing with the hardware, and once that is no longer sufficient (won't last long because it's only another 10% performance), then I'll upgrade to the latest flagships.

G-Sync has helped a lot too, as running over 120fps is just a bonus to an already great experience.
3 Titans is still a TON of Graphics power. Have the same cpu as you at the same clock rate and I'm thrilled with only 2 R9 290s in CF!

Bloodknight

Sep 11, 2009
I remember buying one of my first powerhouse PC years ago...

2 Geforce 7800 GTX (when SLI was starting to come back) @ 750$ a piece (1500$ of GPU power).

about 1.5 years after my purchase, the geforce 8800 GTX came out @ around 400$ and was more powerfull than both 7800 combined... I was shocked and never did SLI/CROSSFIRE again in my life...

See the review of the 8800: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2116/29
(quote) A single GeForce 8800 GTX is more powerful overall than a 7900 GTX SLI configuration and even NVIDIA's mammoth Quad SLI. Although it's no longer a surprise to see a new generation of GPU outperform the previous generation in SLI, the sheer performance we're able to attain because of G80 is still breathtaking.

Technologie because of advancement and people always want to have the latest and greatest, I never resold anything I bought, I simply repackaged it and given it to family member as birthday gift or such.

(rumor) As this happened to the 7800, I sort of expect this to happen with the new radeon 390X, as for the next Gen they will go from 28nm to 14nm, this mean 4 times the space for the same die size... I would expect close to double in gain of performance, maybe even more...