Will the middle east tide of change influent Western power?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
It sorta goes back to the idiot poster who stated we will have US advisers stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan forever advancing our interests. We had piles of US adviser in Vietnam too, but wait, we forgot to win and we have zero now. And in the same sense, I predict both Iraq and Afghanistan will tell our advisers to not go away mad, but instead to just go away ASAP in the ten year or so time frame.
You need to learn your history before spouting your BS. We never won the military war in Vietnam. Now go back a little further and look at Germany and Japan, I would say they are evidence of huge successes. Actually, compare WWI to WWII and it becomes even easier to see what happens if you do invest the time and resources (WWI and mountains of debt) and WWII in which we forgave much debt and STILL have a presence. You see, cherry picking doesn't win dumb arguments.

No one knows what will happen in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I believe that the events in Tunisia and Egypt could be a great turning point for the Middle East and all we should do is keep out, irregardless of the outcome. Leave it to the will of the people.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
You need to learn your history before spouting your BS. We never won the military war in Vietnam. Now go back a little further and look at Germany and Japan, I would say they are evidence of huge successes. Actually, compare WWI to WWII and it becomes even easier to see what happens if you do invest the time and resources (WWI and mountains of debt) and WWII in which we forgave much debt and STILL have a presence. You see, cherry picking doesn't win dumb arguments.

No one knows what will happen in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I believe that the events in Tunisia and Egypt could be a great turning point for the Middle East and all we should do is keep out, irregardless of the outcome. Leave it to the will of the people.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you are the one who does not read history ccbadd. There is a vast difference between what we did in Germany and Japan post WW2, and what we are trying to do in Iraq and Afghanistan. And blew in Vietnam. And also what we tried to do in the mid-east and now its unraveling at the speed of light.

The crucial difference is something I have long said, in any military occupation we have to go big or stay at home. And keep out eyes on the prize, letting up the fallen with charity,
and not taking shortcuts where our interests trump the interests of the nation we try to convert into an ally.

We can maybe agree that the USA got it right in both Japan and Germany, but our successes have been few and far between ever since. Whopee, the vicious Peace Monger Gorbachev finally threw in the towel, took their peace dividends, and the USA did not.

Now the Soviets after a painful period of readjustments are back, flush with cash, and the USA economy is flushing itself down the toilet trying to stretch its military ever thinner. As we outsource all our economy overseas.

If you think I am a US citizen is happy with the undeniable result, please, ccbadd, please have your head examined.

TareX

Jan 10, 2011
With the incredible losses Egypt is suffering now, don't worry about later support of the new regime. They will need every help they need to survive the next year or two.