Will the GOP win the White House and control of Congress by 2012?

Will The GOP win the White House and control of Congress by 2012?

• Win control of Congress by 2012

• Win the White House by 2012

• Win the White House and control of Congress by 2012

• Win neither the White House or control of Congress

Results are only viewable after voting.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I am curious about what the forum thinks about the next two federal election cycles. Yes it is too early for a poll to mean anything.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The bigger question is "Will it make any difference?"

Last election, we had our choice between "Big Government with Pork" and "Big Government with Slightly Less Pork". I have no faith that the immediate future will be any different.

We will not resolve the problems with our country or our economy until we get someone in the White House who takes the Constitution seriously as our governing document. Only then will we begin to take a step back from the world stage where we have been playing financier, policeman, and nation-builder (roles we should not be playing) and fix our domestic problems. This is not isolationism. It is the noninterventionism that our Founding Fathers envisioned, and it should be practiced abroad as well as at home.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Unless a viable GOP candidate emerges, the economy could fail to improve between now and 2012 (very very unlikely) and Obama would still get re-elected. I don't think people realize just how much damage has been done to the GOP and how fractured and non-inclusive they've become since 2000. It's going to last a decade in all likelihood before a new GOP emerges.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I could care less about the White House. I would much rather have conservatives control congress.

Average Stock Market gain during Democratic Congress: +9.8%
Average Stock Market gain during Republican Congress: +30.1%

Average Stock Market gain during Democratic President:
with Democratic Congress support: +13.2%
with Republican Congress opposition: +32.6%
(+18.8% regardless of Congress)

Average Stock Market gain during Republican President:
With Democratic Congress opposition: +6.6%
With Republican Congress support: +25.3%
(+13.3% regardless of Congress)

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Last election, we had our choice between "Big Government with Pork" and "Big Government with Slightly Less Pork". I have no faith that the immediate future will be any different.

We will not resolve the problems with our country or our economy until we get someone in the White House who takes the Constitution seriously as our governing document. Only then will we begin to take a step back from the world stage where we have been playing financier, policeman, and nation-builder (roles we should not be playing) and fix our domestic problems. This is not isolationism. It is the noninterventionism that our Founding Fathers envisioned, and it should be practiced abroad as well as at home.

Have you considered running for POTUS?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Unless a viable GOP candidate emerges, the economy could fail to improve between now and 2012 (very very unlikely) and Obama would still get re-elected. I don't think people realize just how much damage has been done to the GOP and how fractured and non-inclusive they've become since 2000. It's going to last a decade in all likelihood before a new GOP emerges.

Every poll I've seen is a 60%+ support of the GOP by independants to like 28% for Dems. Independents are very ticked off at Obama and democrats right now.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
As this can only be conjecture, I say WH: not likely at all, especially given the dearth in the GOP field of quality 2012 likelies. Congress, not likely either but will have a better idea after 2010. Dems have a very big majority in both houses so they'd have to lose a ton of seats. Once healthcare is behind us and if the economy starts to rebound next year at all, then I don't know what the GOP will have to hang their hat on. Historically the minority always gains seats in midterms but I strongly doubt it'll be enough to take back the house, and in 2012 most people do not split the ticket which will help Dems in congress.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I doubt it. It's funny y'all talk of personalities - well yeah that's all they got because they are the same and you know it deep down. Being law and order types GOP had an opportunity to hold the crooksters on Wall Streets feet to the fire. But anyone who has a keen eye understands system is designed to siphon off the wealth of ordinary Americans and hand it to a fistful of oligarchs so there is not a dimes worth of difference.

The bottom line is that the American People want "blood", and in fact they deserve it. Obama is not doing shit but sameo sameo while main street is scammed.

So the answer is no, Obama is a better sales man. Best Politician I seen since Reagan.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Impossible to say on white house. I think a good shot of congress by 2012 if not 2010. People have a tendency (rightfully) to want to boot bad leaders. Unfortunately the alternative is probably no better. The political system in this country is kind of fvcked and bother parties suck ass.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Every poll I've seen is a 60%+ support of the GOP by independants to like 28% for Dems. Independents are very ticked off at Obama and democrats right now.

um, what polls are you looking at? Hell, the Tea Party beat the GOP on a generic ballot last week.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Neither, they continue to say too many stupid things. If they shut up and let the Democrats dig their own grave, they'd do much better. I'd prefer if they both whither and die.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The white house will not go GOP in 2012 no matter what happens. There's absolutely no way the media is going to let the Dear Leader fall out of favor.

Democrats have much too big of a lead in the Senate and House for the Republicans to gain control. The best we can hope for is that the GOP has enough seats in the house and senate to be able to thwart idiotic democrat legislation before it gets through.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Have you considered running for POTUS?

Not sure if this was tounge-in-cheek or not, but I have about as much tact as a nuclear bomb, so, no, I would not make a good POTUS.

If you like my view points, though, throw your support behind Ron Paul. He's the only one right now with the balls to start the ball rolling back towards the government we were intended to have (one where personal liberties are paramount and the federal government takes a back seat in the lives of American citizens).

wiretap

Sep 28, 2006
/still waiting for a true Constitutionalist leader to emerge

The statists and globalists will not allow that to happen, especially since they're so close to gaining absolute control of the country. Practically all that is left is health care and full economic control through cap and trade.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
The white house will not go GOP in 2012 no matter what happens. There's absolutely no way the media is going to let the Dear Leader fall out of favor.

Democrats have much too big of a lead in the Senate and House for the Republicans to gain control. The best we can hope for is that the GOP has enough seats in the house and senate to be able to thwart idiotic democrat legislation before it gets through.

It's amazing any GOP politician ever gets elected isn't it?

Question: was a 600 billion dollar medicare drug benefit program which did not provide any method by which it was to be paid for and was simply dumped into the deficit "idiotic legislation"?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Another thing is people are still thinking this is a Republican lead recession - I don't care how long it lasts FDR sat in there 10 years blaming Hoover before things started turning. Because of this there is no possible path to victory for the Republicans until and unless the fraud and bad debt are both rid from the economic and political system and resulting recovery of such an event.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think if they can formulate a msg they have a chance to gain some seats in congress in 2010. I dont think it will get them anywhere near the majority. 2012 is too far out. If the economy turns and jobs start being created Obama will be in a 2nd term. Though it will be absolutely hilarious watching the MSM paint 8% unemployment in a great light in 2012 when they railed again 5.5% in 04.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Although its a ways off ... not a chance at president. When you're top candidate can't even stand the stress of being governor of Alaska for more than 2 yrs the odds aren't in your favor. Congress, they'll gain some seats probably. But I doubt they gain enough to be a majority. Factor in the tea baggers like NY 23 did and it hurts their chances even more.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Bingo. The current Democrat position is Marxism; the current Republican position is what the Democrat said, but let me do it because I'll go slower and he's a Marxist.

I'm less interested in who controls what than in whether or not we can regain our blessed gridlock.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
People have not forgotten who got us into the mess we are in. It will take more than one election cycle to turn that around.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
People have not forgotten who got us into the mess we are in. It will take more than one election cycle to turn that around.

Clinton's been gone for 3 election cycles. Pretty sure everyone's already forgotten that he's ultimately responsible for the housing bust going on right now.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

We were chugging along nicely until dems got congress in 2006. We The People know exactly where to place blame.