Will someone please explain to me why The Godfather is considered to be so good?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
The irony of so many in this thread accusing myself (and others who did not care for The Godfather) of being ADD is pretty humorous, given that I've pointed out in two separate posts now that it wasn't a matter of attention span. Again, I enjoy many pieces of art, including film, that are older/longer/slower paced than this movie was. And the fact that I watched it through, discussed with the girlfriend, re-read the plot, discussed more...yeah, real ADD traits there.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The irony of so many in this thread accusing myself (and others who did not care for The Godfather) of being ADD is pretty humorous, given that I've pointed out in two separate posts now that it wasn't a matter of attention span. Again, I enjoy many pieces of art, including film, that are older/longer/slower paced than this movie was. And the fact that I watched it through, discussed with the girlfriend, re-read the plot, discussed more...yeah, real ADD traits there.

Go like something or plant a cabbage. You trash! :p

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
The olive oil business will do that to ya, make ya edgy and want to make some spaghetti sauce for your buds and have a sleep over on some mattresses.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Lolololol at the peeps in this thread confusing Scarface with The Godfather. Kind of says it all. :hmm:

If you can't grok the million mile difference between those two flicks, that's ok, de gustibus non est disputandum, but you and I probably can't talk movies . . . or life.

Personally, I feel it prudent to like The Godfather because it made me an offer I can't refuse.

Waking up to the bloody, severed head of Sarah Jessica Parker in your bed?

The horror! D:

In hospital with sick kid (doing much better). Soda in hand, laptop on desk. Nearly spit the soda out of my mouth reading that line. I'd have a hard time explaining that in the hospital.

Those here airily dismissing The Godfather are uncomfortably close to the outright idiots here confusing Scarface with The Godfather.

That's like equating Starship Troopers with Saving Private Ryan because they're both "war movies!" :awe:

Everyone knows you're suppose to equate Inglourious Basterds with Saving Private Ryan. They're both WW2 movies!

I know the Godfather is not for everyone but its a damned good movie. IMHO one of the best. Are there flaws? Of course, but there are a lot of aspects that make it very good to great. Today's movies are so dumbed down that the subtleties of some points in this movie are lost on many. A movie like the Godfather is too slow paced and "boring" for those who watch friggin Transformers.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I watched all 3 back to back years ago and i have adhd and found them to be excellent and worthy of sitting down and watching they are very good films.

Been meaning to watch them again but don't have the set as i got rid of my vhs tapes about a year ago...so now need them on blu ray:)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
actors picking up some real life influenced pieces from all different places to add to their already written roles and stories is a far cry from saying the movie accurately portrays the mob...do I really need to point that out?

I never said that. Christ, next you'll be accusing me of saying the Godfather is a documentary...:rolleyes:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
In hospital with sick kid (doing much better). Soda in hand, laptop on desk. Nearly spit the soda out of my mouth reading that line. I'd have a hard time explaining that in the hospital.

Everyone knows you're suppose to equate Inglourious Basterds with Saving Private Ryan. They're both WW2 movies!

I know the Godfather is not for everyone but its a damned good movie. IMHO one of the best. Are there flaws? Of course, but there are a lot of aspects that make it very good to great. Today's movies are so dumbed down that the subtleties of some points in this movie are lost on many. A movie like the Godfather is too slow paced and "boring" for those who watch friggin Transformers.

But zee Germans speak real German in IB!!! It is teh realz!

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
... that the main character was a modeled after Hearst...? I'm not a historian, nor a film student.
If you can post upon an internet forum then you can certainly do the same for a few key words in a search box.

It is so sad to witness the lack of a thirst for knowledge and perspective for the world people exist in.

If not receiving instant gratification and immediate relation to what's viewed, then a down rate is assured.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
If you can post upon an internet forum then you can certainly do the same for a few key words in a search box.
Could, yes, but then I would stuck on Wikipedia all day (except today), instead of enjoying movies, books, food, and so on.

The irony of so many in this thread accusing myself (and others who did not care for The Godfather) of being ADD is pretty humorous, given that I've pointed out in two separate posts now that it wasn't a matter of attention span.
It's the same old, "kids today are degenerates," that has gone on for thousands of years.

- Gen Y
- Diagnosed with ADD
- Dislike every Michael Bay film except Bad Boys (I have not seen the two Transformers sequels, but every other film he has produced or directed)
- Love The Godfather I and II

It's ok. We'll still judge you.
Aw, thanks. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, now.

Last edited:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I just think it's borderline impossible to compare movies across generations. Some things that look so simple in that film may have been miraculous achievements of cinema at the time.

It's kind of like trying to compare athletes across generations. Good luck with that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I never said that. Christ, next you'll be accusing me of saying the Godfather is a documentary...:rolleyes:

I like you, Jules, but you did say that. it was your first comment, I think:

I think the thing about 'The Godfather' that makes it so great is that it was one of the first movies ever to present a realistic look into what it is like to be in the mafia.

I don't think many, today at least, would confuse the Godfather for being anything like a "realistic portrayal" or the mafia. I think what it did, at the time of release, was portray a different view of the mafia from what came before (think the Cagney and similar films--Irish vs Italian notwithstanding). Basically: a code of honor in a formalized, structured family system rather than a disorganized rabble of petty thugs and ruthless criminals.

The characters in Godfather were inspired by real life members ("participants") of cosa nostra, but nothing that Puzo wrote was a true reflection of that life, or how such organizations were structured--their day to day life and dealings.

What was since revealed in the early 80s with Henry Hill and Joe Pistone's stories, that were then made into very popular films, was that the earlier portrayal of cosa nostra as a dishonorable, back-stabbing gang of petty thugs and criminals, constantly clawing away from a life of near-poverty and paranoia, was far more accurate than what was in the Godfather.

None of that detracts from the greatness of the Godfather films, when you look at them as epic character studies, and a sort of grand opera of the rise and fall of a powerful family. I always preferred the 2nd, as I enjoy the dynamic between the rise of Vito and the struggle of Michael to keep the family from falling apart, while he does everything to destroy it himself.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I like you, Jules, but you did say that. it was your first comment, I think:

I don't think many, today at least, would confuse the Godfather for being anything like a "realistic portrayal" or the mafia. I think what it did, at the time of release, was portray a different view of the mafia from what came before (think the Cagney and similar films--Irish vs Italian notwithstanding). Basically: a code of honor in a formalized, structured family system rather than a disorganized rabble of petty thugs and ruthless criminals.

The characters in Godfather were inspired by real life members ("participants") of cosa nostra, but nothing that Puzo wrote was a true reflection of that life, or how such organizations were structured--their day to day life and dealings.

What was since revealed in the early 80s with Henry Hill and Joe Pistone's stories, that were then made into very popular films, was that the earlier portrayal of cosa nostra as a dishonorable, back-stabbing gang of petty thugs and criminals, constantly clawing away from a life of near-poverty and paranoia, was far more accurate than what was in the Godfather.

None of that detracts from the greatness of the Godfather films, when you look at them as epic character studies, and a sort of grand opera of the rise and fall of a powerful family. I always preferred the 2nd, as I enjoy the dynamic between the rise of Vito and the struggle of Michael to keep the family from falling apart, while he does everything to destroy it himself.

I think it would be more accurate to say that it was one of the first movie to treat them as real people, not just cartoon characters and cliches. In the Godfather, the characters are three-dimensional people. They aren't just ruthless thugs. Vito is a father that is trying to move his children into a better way of life. Michael is a man that wants to make his own way but ends up being drawn into the way of life he avoided. And like you say, it's this depth of character that makes the movie so entrancing.