Will Romney swear oath of office on the Bible if he wins in November?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
He doesn't have to swear on anything. This is a strange troll thread though so I vote sorbet.

Heh, I have been tempted to break out the gelato once or twice today, I saw that frozen desserts have the power to shut down trolls and lock threads ;)

Feb 6, 2007
I would rather they swore in on The US Constitution, seeing as how that's the document they're supposed to be upholding.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
There's no difference between 1 organized religion over another

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There's no difference between 1 organized religion over another

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

The Lord Republican or the Supreme Democrat leave little to recommend them on their own merits.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Romney's critics think he'll swear the oath on The Book of Mormon.
Romney's supporters think he'll swear the oath on the Bible.

Obama's critics think he'll swear the oath on the Koran.
Obama's supporters think he'll swear the oath on the Bible.

Bottom line: Critics of either Obama or Romney are complete idiots on the question of what will the oath be sworn on.

Sad but true. I look forward to the day, if it ever happens, when people just won't give a damn what holy book a POTUS swears his oath on, if any at all.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Mormons are as Christian as Jews are, the main split is that Mormons believe in 3 distinct Gods whereas Christians believe in 1. The Holy Ghost, the Father and Jesus to mormons are all distinct entities and are not the same, but united in their "purpose". Im not a religious person but thats a huge difference from mainstream Christianity, its enough to be its own religion.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The better question should be why are we still swearing to do good on the Bible?

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
The better question should be why are we still swearing to do good on the Bible?

Because they want to ? Its not required to swear on a Bible, a President could swear on a rock if he wanted to.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not according to other Christians.

and Methodists don't think Baptists are Christians, and Baptists don't think Catholics are Christians, and Catholics don't think Protestants are Christians, and Episcopalians..well, you get the idea.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Well, even though he didn't, I wouldn't say it'd be better. It'd be equal. I do however wonder what will happen should we ever elect and atheist President. Wonder if he'll swear in on a copy of The Origin of Species.

Also, there's no H in bazinga. At least not in the way merchandising spells it for the show Big Bang Theory.

Why in hell would an atheist swear on a copy of The Origin of Species?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Mormons are as Christian as Jews are, the main split is that Mormons believe in 3 distinct Gods whereas Christians believe in 1. The Holy Ghost, the Father and Jesus to mormons are all distinct entities and are not the same, but united in their "purpose". Im not a religious person but thats a huge difference from mainstream Christianity, its enough to be its own religion.

I assume that is why the are called Mormans and not Catholics (or whatever)..... Bottom line, they believe that Jesus Christ is the "savior" (that would be the Christ part of "Christians") so why wouldn't they be called Christians?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
No, there really isn't. Biblical canon isn't agreed on. In light of the fact that "traditional Christianity" can't tell what's supposedly divinely inspired and what's made up, the Mormon claims about their books don't stick out.
Likewise with their saints.

If you want to list all of the Christians killed by other Christians, we're gonna be here a while.

There are huge differences,

1. Most Christians claim Jesus is God, Mormons say it is NOT.
2. Most Christians claim their is only 1 God, Mormons say their are many Gods, but only one god matters.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Mormons teach that God was once a man on another planet, who ruled by his own God, and his god once was a man who had his own god, and so forth. That the greatest of mormons will one day become Gods with their own worlds to rule over.

This is very different than the teaching of traditional Christians.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All Mormons read the Bible. We use a King James Version. The coming of Jesus Christ to the American Continent is a very important part of the Book of Mormon. Since we believe in Jesus Christ, it doesnt matter if you think we are Christians or not. As far as I am concerned it is your personal problem if you dont think Mormons are Christians. There are plenty of people out there who look for reasons to hate people. That is nothing new. Christian is just a word. Doesnt matter that much.

Maybe it is better to be known as a Mormon. Everyone in politics claims to be a christian. It does not mean that much. Never met two christians that could agree on anything when it came to religion.

Can you convice God you are a real Christian? Think about it for a while.

Last edited:

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
All Mormons read the Bible. We use a King James Version. The coming of Jesus Christ to the American Continent is a very important part of the Book of Mormon. Since we believe in Jesus Christ, it doesnt matter if you think we are Christians or not. As far as I am concerned it is your personal problem if you dont think Mormons are Christians. There are plenty of people out there who look for reasons to hate people. That is nothing new. Christian is just a word. Doesnt matter that much.

Maybe it is better to be known as a Mormon. Everyone in politics claims to be a christian. It does not mean that much. Never met two christians that could agree on anything when it came to religion.

No, you use the Joseph Smith Translation version of the Bible.

My religion says that after Jesus visited North America he went down to Antarctica to bring the true word to the penguins and seals. Why are there seals? Well I'm glad you asked my friend. You see, in the heavenly battle for control of what we would now called "Kentucky Fried Chicken" some spirits wanted elevator music played in the restaurants while some wanted reggae music. Those heathens that wanted reggae were doomed to be fat seals.

I know all of this is true because a penguin wrote it all down on fish scales and when John Davis first set foot in Antarctica he discovered the scales and stared into a rum barrel to translate it.

The scales plainly say that we were put here by the alien overload Jesus as food for a galactic pig. Only through tithing can we earn tokens to buy our way into pighood so we can devour other people in a universe of our own.

So you see, my religion accepts the Bible and the Book of Mormon (we just think they're outdated and wrong) and we believe in Jesus. Ergo, we are Christians!

And, no, my friend, this is not born of hatred for you or other Mormons. It's a dislike of people who disingenuously adopt a label in an attempt to make their cooky and falsifiable cult seem mainstream.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It's a dislike of people who disingenuously adopt a label in an attempt to make their cooky and falsifiable cult seem mainstream.

Which just shows just how much of a sheep the average person actually is that such a thing is used to judge, explaining the success of Conservative Talk.
I'm glad I'm God-tier.