Will older games benefit from SSD?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I have (2) 480GB Sandisks, and 1 240GB Samsung Pro. I also have a 1TB WD black hdd.

I have almost everygame I own installed and spread across these 3 ssd drives. But they're packed.

I'm starting to question the logic behind having older games with much smaller textures and i/o needs on these drives; 1) because I rarely play them, and 2) because I doubt I would notice much difference.

My rig is an i7 4790k w/ gtx970 and 16GB of ram.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I'd say if you're happy with the load times and don't get any kind of stutter in the old games, then save the precious ssd space for the titles that do need it.

I tend to throw all the games I've beaten onto my storage 2TB drives. Tried loading up GTAV over the weekend and it was really unplayable. Huge stutters and load times were crazy long.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Everything will be better on an SSD. The real question is...will you notice? :p

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I don't have that much ssd space so I only have on them what I am currently playing. Also some game types are fine on normal HD, like Super SF4. It is a silly question, ssd allways speeds up hd speeds, but only you can determine if it is slow enough that you need it taking up precious ssd space.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Basically games that either take a long time to load, or those that load parts on the map 'on-the-fly' (like MMOs) benefit the most. Cross-platform FPS in general don't benefit as much because they normally load the whole map at once (and maps are smaller so they fit in the consoles' memories).

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Basically games that either take a long time to load, or those that load parts on the map 'on-the-fly' (like MMOs) benefit the most. Cross-platform FPS in general don't benefit as much because they normally load the whole map at once (and maps are smaller so they fit in the consoles' memories).

Wrong forum. :colbert:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Everything will be better on an SSD. The real question is...will you notice? :p

Recent Modern SSD from 2013 onward sure, but some games used to do a ton of small writes, but the first 3-4 years of consumer SSDs that wasn't always the case, some games that would mirror memory in virtual memory would overload the memory controller during gaming. I remember second generation SSDs like the OCZ Vertex were notorious for stuttering in games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Recent Modern SSD from 2013 onward sure, but some games used to do a ton of small writes, but the first 3-4 years of consumer SSDs that wasn't always the case, some games that would mirror memory in virtual memory would overload the memory controller during gaming. I remember second generation SSDs like the OCZ Vertex were notorious for stuttering in games.

My OCZ wasnt slow. It died before it could slow down.

Now I'm more critical of SSD's.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I wouldn't worry about having every game on one. as long as the OS drive has a decent SSD you could cherry pick games and still get most of the benefit (assuming you're not running crap for the non-ssd ones)

Captain_WD

Aug 13, 2014

Hey there TechBoyJK :)

My two cents on this: gaming doesn't really rely on the storage's performance for anything else but the loading times. FPS and graphics generally stay unaffected unless you play a MMO or an open-world game where the game needs to load rather huge texture files in order to create the world around you. In this case you can notice a smoother loading of the graphics. Another things that will be affected by the storage are the in-game loading screens. Everything else should run pretty much the same way both from a SSD and from a HDD.

I would suggest to move all the non-demanding games on the HDD and leave AAA, MMO and open-world games on the SSDs for better/faster loading. This way you should have an optimal storage setup with quite a lot of free space on the SSDs.

Captain_WD.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I'm starting to question the logic behind having older games with much smaller textures and i/o needs on these drives; 1) because I rarely play them, and 2) because I doubt I would notice much difference.
There are two issues - how much faster it objectively loads and how much you subjectively perceive the benefit:-

1. "Measured" objective times depends a lot on how they're structured. Eg, a 1GB size game installed as 4,000 files will often benefit far more than a similar sized 1GB game arranged into 14 "packed" files as they'll be far more random reads vs sequential involved. And when you're loading a game, you're "unpacking" into memory as opposed to just blind copying, so real-life read speeds are often lower than SSD's peak benchmark as seen by the fact the 950 PRO has zero advantage over even cheap 850 EVO's / MX200's even in a lot of large newer games. I tested "old games on SSD vs HDD" a while ago and there was often only 1-2s difference in load times in "fewer large file" installs, but up to 40s difference on games with a ton of tiny files regardless of the age of the game. If a game "streams" in textures, there may be some stutter reduction advantages with an SSD. OTOH, games like Deus Ex or Serious Sam can pre-cache the whole level anyway and even if they didn't, many older smaller sub-1GB games will often completely fit into a RAM drive or at least Windows can "retain" the whole game in the Windows file cache.

2. "Subjective" perception. There's a "threshold" where a game loads either fast enough or slow enough on both that it isn't an issue. Eg, a 54s vs 27s load time is far more obvious than a 4s vs 2s (same "ratio"). It's also why beyond a certain point, arguing over 9s vs 12s SSD vs SSD Windows boot times is equally pointless when most people stop caring below 15s. Likewise unskippable intro movies will also narrow the gap. I think it's Quantum Conundrum I tested where the difference in load times was something like 45s SSD vs 47s HDD, of which around 43s of both were due to an endless stream of unskippable intro movies, epilepsy warnings, etc. It's annoyingly long enough on both that an SSD isn't really that much benefit.

As others have said, you don't need every single game on premium SSD space and you might as well use your HDD as extra cheap space for games that either don't benefit that much or load quickly enough you don't notice in non side by side comparisons. There's also Steam Mover where you can easily cache a game installed on a HDD onto an SSD with a single click then move it back again when you're done with another single click. Useful if you like having all your games installed and your HDD is far larger than your SSD but you only play some of them say once a year or less. Likewise, one thing you can do to speed game load times on any disc is disable the intro movies either by official ini tweaks or unofficial means (eg, replacing otherwise unskippable intro movie files with dummy single-frame ones of the same codec & format). Same with music & video files - unless you spend all day editing, the ultimate "bottleneck" for most people is the fastest media playback speed that still "makes sense" (1.3-1.5x) not the actual storage read speed.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I like to keep as much as possible on my SSD's. However if the drives are getting full, you obviously need to think about moving some games to an HDD or uninstalling them alltogether. If you haven't played a game in 18 months, it's unlikely yuou'll suddenly pick it up and play it 8 hours a day...

Games with less data (low res textures etc.) obviously don't benefit as much, but on the other hand, they take up less space too. The real hogs are games like Witcher 3, GTA 5 etc. that take like ~60GB each...They make it feel a bit pointless to delete a few 900MB games..

Last edited: