Will Neo-Conservatism end up in the trash bin of history?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
With Bushes approval rating in the cr*pper and the possiblility of a neo-conservative debacle in Novermber the future of the neo-con movement would seem to be in doubt.
Even after Bush leaves, America will be saddled with years and years of enormous debt and a foreign relations fiasco that will take years to unravel. Any future President or Congressperson will only have to point to the Bush failures to justify any blunders they make and point out that the situation was an end result of the neo-cons.
And I think that the amount of individual corruption by the neo-cons will shock America when the true extent is known.
So I think it is possible that the neo-conservative movement will die a death within a couple of years.
Opinions?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Neo Conservatism is just another fanatical do-goodism based on idealistic ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance and arrogance will not soon go away, so in one form or another it is here to stay.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Even after Bush leaves, America will be saddled with years and years of enormous debt and a foreign relations fiasco that will take years to unravel

lmao you act as if this isnt true of all administrations democrat or republican.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
With Bushes approval rating in the cr*pper and the possiblility of a neo-conservative debacle in Novermber the future of the neo-con movement would seem to be in doubt.
Even after Bush leaves, America will be saddled with years and years of enormous debt and a foreign relations fiasco that will take years to unravel. Any future President or Congressperson will only have to point to the Bush failures to justify any blunders they make and point out that the situation was an end result of the neo-cons.
So I think it is possible that the neo-conservative movement will die a death within a couple of years.
Opinions?

Unfortunately, I have to say it won't die out totally. We are historically, a cyclical nation, and will eventually get back the fear-mongering, deficit bloating, chickenhawks that got us here today.
Think about the McCarthy era, how long ago was that 50-60 years ago? Not too different in the ideology, if you're not a flag waving, chevy driving Uhmericuhn, you're a commie!
Now it's if yer not with us, yer agin' us! Which is total crap. You could be charged as a terrorist today and be swept of to sunny guantanamo for an unending vacation where you have no access to lawyers, are not formally charged and can be held indefinitely. YAY!
I think the neo-con movement will slide down the toilet like the stain it is, but some will always stick to the bowl and try to make it back up, and will, unfortunately, in time.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
And I think that the amount of individual corruption by the neo-cons will shock America when the true extent is known.
Opinions?

I doubt that we will be hearing it's all Bush's fault. The religious do not forsake their Gods.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Even after Bush leaves, America will be saddled with years and years of enormous debt and a foreign relations fiasco that will take years to unravel

lmao you act as if this isnt true of all administrations democrat or republican.

This is great, from swearing the other side were just tin-foil to the old post-nixon resignation republican line of "They are all corrupt". Thats about the closest to admitting they were wrong we are going to get once again it seems. Oh well, Some people will never learn.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Nope neo-consevativism will never die--it will just go from failure to failure--then relabel itself--and ride again.

And alas--the American people never learn.

strummer

Feb 1, 2006
Opinions?

Probably it is done, but not for the reasons you think. BushCo has certainly hastened the neoconservative plunge, but it will be demographics that really doom it.

Latinos, the fastest growing population segment, are the real doom of neoconservatism and conservatism in general. They are generally being demonized by conservatives right now, vis-a-vis the whole immigration thing. Bush has courted them vigorously with some limited success, but that work or goodwill is getting flushed as your garden variety conservative wacko continues their rhetorical assault on immigrants, and by extension Latinos. I don't think that Latinos are going to forget this anytime soon. They are going to turn Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico Florida and Colorado into reliable blue states within the next 10 years or so.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: strummer
Opinions?

Probably it is done, but not for the reasons you think. BushCo has certainly hastened the neoconservative plunge, but it will be demographics that really doom it.

Latinos, the fastest growing population segment, are the real doom of neoconservatism and conservatism in general. They are generally being demonized by conservatives right now, vis-a-vis the whole immigration thing. Bush has courted them vigorously with some limited success, but that work or goodwill is getting flushed as your garden variety conservative wacko continues their rhetorical assault on immigrants, and by extension Latinos. I don't think that Latinos are going to forget this anytime soon.

They are going to turn Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida and Colorado into reliable blue states within the next 10 years or so.
A double edged sword.

We get rid of the Repugs but get Mexico Norte in return.

Still I have to say better than a Nanny, only for the rich Republican State.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Nope neo-consevativism will never die--it will just go from failure to failure--then relabel itself--and ride again.

And alas--the American people never learn.
Sadly, that is verytrue.

The neocon movement is here to stay for a while. The country has swung somewhat to the right. As long as the Neocons play the religion card American people will continue to be blinded by their single issue agendas and fooled by the neocons.

Each successive generation forgets what the previous generation faced. Our generation has forgotten the McCarthy time. The next generation will also forget this era.

strummer

Feb 1, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

A double edged sword.

Illegal immigration is just a symptom of the problem. The real problem is that Mexico is not a desirable place to live and work. Solve that problem and we solve our illegals issue. Imagine how great it would be to have as strong a trading partner on our southern border as we do on our northern border.

Regardless, there is no quick or easy fix. Widespread and deep social and economic change are required in Mexico. The power and wealth is concentrated there in the elitist class (Mexico's version of Rockefeller Republicans). They have no reason to want change and will fight anything that will provide social justice and fairness of opportunity.

The country has been an afterthought to us for years, to the shame of Republican and Democratic administrations alike. They need infrastructure. They need schools. They need opportunity and hope. It is not our responsibility to give them any of these things, although it would probably be a good long term business decsion to do so.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004

A double edged sword.

Illegal immigration is just a symptom of the problem. The real problem is that Mexico is not a desirable place to live and work.

Thankfully, that's not our problem.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: fitzov

A double edged sword.

Illegal immigration is just a symptom of the problem. The real problem is that Mexico is not a desirable place to live and work.

That's easily retified.

Simple make Mexico our 51st State.

strummer

Feb 1, 2006

A double edged sword.

That's easily retified.

How much oil do they have?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

A double edged sword.

That's easily retified.

How much oil do they have?
The whole southern region of the Gulf of Mexico and Bay of Campeche.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Eh, another "out-of-the-blue" terrorist attack will rekindle the neo-conservative flame, so no it won't die anytime soon.