Will NASA funding be affected by the next President?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Oh, and manned missions to the Moon and to Mars? $50 to 100 billion.
Still, I'd sooner see 10 missions to Mars rather than the occupation of Iraq. ;)
[/quote]

And, I'd like to see 100 to 200 meaningful missions where we learn just as much (if not more).

Unfortunately, those glorified manned missions take center stage and the lion's share of funding. Also, it's scary to realize that when NASA or someone speaks of eventual colonization of some other planet so that humanity survives no matter what, I'm guessing that a significant portion of the population interprets that to mean, "if there's a big asteroid hurtling toward earth, NASA will be able to fly everyone to safety and they'll get to live on another planet."

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: njdevilsfan87
I would love for NASA to get more funding. The ultimate fate of the human race will likely depend on space colonization.

What about the ultimate fate of other species? That would suck for the human race not to have dogs around. Plus, I hope that the humans of the future can still enjoy a nice t-bone steak. Perhaps NASA could send some bovine to the International Space Station and study the effects of methane production in micro-gravity. :p