Will my car start tommorow?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
It's going to be negative something degrees here in the Boston area and I'm wondering what I can do to help the chances my car will start.

My battery is relatively new (2yrs old). Last week when it was really cold it started, but just- it was struggling.

I filled up my tank a few days ago and added Dry Gas.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Here's what I suggest. Don't worry about it, and you will find out tomorrow.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
plug it in over night and you'll be all set :) <-easiest option

alternatives:
1. wake up each hour on the hour start the car let it run for 1 minute shut it off and repeat each hour
2. park on a hill and be ready to pop start it (asuming you have a M/T)
3. start a campfire next to it tonight before you go to bed to keep it toasty warm
4. phone a friend
5. ask the audience.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Wag
It's going to be negative something degrees here in the Boston area and I'm wondering what I can do to help the chances my car will start.

My battery is relatively new (2yrs old). Last week when it was really cold it started, but just- it was struggling.

I filled up my tank a few days ago and added Dry Gas.

What's Dry Gas.
Is it that feeling I get the day after I eat at Taco Bell.

Seriously, I'm in greater Providence, and I hope my truck starts.
Wake up half an hour early just incase you have to make other arrangements to get to where you're going, if possible.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Around 10-11PM, let the car run about for around 5 minutes. This will warm up the oil.

Then it will be easier to start in the AM.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
pack snow around the engine and engine compartment to keep it insulated from the cold air :beer:

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Well, my car started today- but my coolant froze so the "Low coolant" light came on. Lol

Have to get my system flushed out.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Real advice:

If your car was struggling to start in the cold, make sure the battery posts are free of corrosion. (clean them - look for instructions how)

If by any chance, your car doesn't want to roll over tomorrow, try turning on the parking lights for a minute or two, then try again to start the car.

edit: non-real advice... Warm up the engine around 10 and put a blanket over it to keep it warm.
(actually, I wonder if an electric blanket would help??)

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
It's so freakin' cold out I don't think anything outside of parking car in garage would help.

Since I live in a condo that's not an option.

I'll take it in to have my coolant system flushed out tommorow, so hopefully what happened this morning won't happen again.