Will marijuana become as ubiquitous as alcohol?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I don't think it will be as common. Even when it's completely legal you still have a lingering stigma attached to pot. So I think most use will still be kept on the dl. And just like there are lots of people who don't like to drink, there are probably a lot more that aren't going to be interested in getting high. Plus I think some of the compounds in pot can build up in your synapses and interfere with memory. I haven't noticed that with newer high grade weed though. The older low-thc stuff used to make me one very crispy critter.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
The local MJ dispensary is about the same distance as the liquor store. I literally have a “international church of cannabis” in my neighborhood... I kid you not. Yes...it will become as ubiquitous as alcohol...maybe even more.

https://www.elevationists.org/

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't think it will be as common. Even when it's completely legal you still have a lingering stigma attached to pot. So I think most use will still be kept on the dl. And just like there are lots of people who don't like to drink, there are probably a lot more that aren't going to be interested in getting high. Plus I think some of the compounds in pot can build up in your synapses and interfere with memory. I haven't noticed that with newer high grade weed though. The older low-thc stuff used to make me one very crispy critter.

Nothing potheads like to talk about more than how high they are. I used to not give a crap about people getting high, but these days everyone has to flaunt it, etc etc and most of the people I know who do it regularly (and I know way more than I should) are lazy, unproductive, unreliable, and forgetful. It's like every other vice, it is used to 'get away'. They aren't happy with their lives and want to escape. This may seem like a generalization, but it represents the majority of pot smokers. The occasional (like once every few months - years) or legit medical use cases are the minority.

Feb 25, 2011
I hope so.

Nothing potheads like to talk about more than how high they are. I used to not give a crap about people getting high, but these days everyone has to flaunt it, etc etc and most of the people I know who do it regularly (and I know way more than I should) are lazy, unproductive, unreliable, and forgetful. It's like every other vice, it is used to 'get away'. They aren't happy with their lives and want to escape. This may seem like a generalization, but it represents the majority of pot smokers. The occasional (like once every few months - years) or legit medical use cases are the minority.

Drunks are annoying too. Addicts gonna addict.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Maybe when it's legal here in NJ it will be different but it's pretty rare I hear anyone talk about getting stoned let alone being stoned. You have to be pretty tight with someone to have that sort of conversation. At least that's true of the people I know. But again . . . still illegal except for some very, very limited medical uses.