Will Ivy Bridge delay push Haswell launch forward?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Is X79 a "desktop" or a "server" board in this case?
Notice how he said "board" and not "cpu".

So desktop: p55, p67, z77 all come out "about" a year apart which has been true.

Server/WS: x58, x79 have been much longer.

Which is fine by me since IB-E will fit nicely with x79.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
If they didn't run IVB for a year they would be throwing R&D money into the trash. They would never release early. If anything they will delay and it won't affect their profits especially since AMD has limited products to offer.

Mar 10, 2006
Notice how he said "board" and not "cpu".

So desktop: p55, p67, z77 all come out "about" a year apart which has been true.

Server/WS: x58, x79 have been much longer.

Which is fine by me since IB-E will fit nicely with x79.

I was thinking that there might be some sort of X79 v2 that enables more of the features everyone else has been wanting (more 6gbps SATA ports, SAS, etc.).

Although I'm thinking the high end C600 server/workstation boards might be very attractive once the Xeon E5 & platform launch. Wonder if SLI/XFire will be supported by the workstation boards?

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
I was thinking that there might be some sort of X79 v2 that enables more of the features everyone else has been wanting (more 6gbps SATA ports, SAS, etc.).

Although I'm thinking the high end C600 server/workstation boards might be very attractive once the Xeon E5 & platform launch. Wonder if SLI/XFire will be supported by the workstation boards?

I was thinking that too, but now I think they will reserve the SAS functionality for the C600 boards. But those server boards do not usually support SLI.

As for the only 2 SATA III ports, that is the only thing I am disappointed about. But unless you raid more than 2 SSDs, it is not a huge factor. Plus PCIe SSDs are becoming more common, which work nicely with the 40 lanes of PCIe on the x79.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

:confused:

What part of linking to a blog which itself refers to a rumor site that only claims to have a leaked roadmap does not conform to the following?

Other than our uneducated expectations and opinion, how can any of us proclaim Haswell to be delayed regardless when it is released?

All you have done is link to the very reasons why we have malformed expectations of a haswell release date created by our own ignorance of what is real and what is fabrication for the benefit of rumor sites that live or die depending on the web traffic they can drum up?

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
What part of linking to a blog which itself refers to a rumor site that only claims to have a leaked roadmap does not conform to the following?

It is not just one blog that have published the Intel slides stating a Q1 2013 original release date intention for Haswell. They are being referred to from lots of hardware tech sites all over the web. See for example Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-LGA-1150-Ivy-Bridge-CPU,14673.html

You may of course doubt the planned launch dates, but similar leaked slides for previous Intel CPUs have later been proven to be true of the original launch intentions.

However nothing is of course for certain until you have an actual CPU in your hand. But then you can also start to doubt any information published on e.g. Anandtech, since several release dates for Ivy Bridge have been published and later pushed forward. I.e. it is no use publishing any information on release dates whatsoever, since you never know for sure when a product will be available until you actually have it in you hand.

But anyway, as I wrote in my original post, "Last I heard they [the Haswell CPUs] should be released in Q1 2013. If that is the case...". I.e. the questions I have are valid under that assumption, and that was the intention I had for the discussion in this thread. Whether you choose to believe that assumption to be true or not is another discussion.

Last edited:

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
If they didn't run IVB for a year they would be throwing R&D money into the trash. They would never release early. If anything they will delay and it won't affect their profits especially since AMD has limited products to offer.

Yes, I believe you are right. Since AMD has given up competing with Intel in the "fastest desktop CPU" segment I guess more "delays" and less progress unfortunately is what the future will hold...

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Fjordor, remember, the link you gave are saying "Mar-Jun", which is essentially the current Ivy Bridge launch schedule. Roadmaps are probably the most unreliable of leaks.

Yes, I believe you are right. Since AMD has given up competing with Intel in the "fastest desktop CPU" segment I guess more "delays" and less progress unfortunately is what the future will hold...
Only true if you believe AMD is the only threat in the world to Intel. That can't be less true nowadays. Outside of desktops though, which is the most important segment in tech forums, they've got to work on getting laptops more attractive, make headaway in smartphones and tablets, and reach new ground in server performance.

Lot of things are different now than 15 years ago when literally everyone who bought a computer needed extra computing power. Back then when PCs weren't present in lot of households and unit share grew like it knew no limits they could get away with pricing the CPUs higher when competition diminished.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think Haswell will be delayed in the same fashion to make their sales quota.

this.

Anyone else, citing good bad honest evil whatever motives is way off the mark. Sorry. These big corps only abide to one rule : make more money.

And it is not a bad rule at that :)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
this.

Anyone else, citing good bad honest evil whatever motives is way off the mark. Sorry. These big corps only abide to one rule : make more money.

And it is not a bad rule at that :)

Having spent many years working at one of these evil/greedy mega-corps I can tell you that while the rhetoric is easy to post and flows neatly on the keyboard, the reality of what goes on in such behemoth organizations comprising tens of thousands of employees is far and away much more messy than anyone can envision if you aren't, or haven't, been in the thick of it yourselves at some point.

It is pure hubris on our part to assume we can distill and define the motives and plans at Intel, or AMD for that matter, in the space of a few short sentences and words.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I imagine so. The larger the cooprotation(been in a few) the longer time it takes to turn the ship around, if at all possible. One thing though, that seems to flow instantaniously from board of directors down to the little people on the floor of said corps, is when big money is on the loose.
I mean, do the math. IB is selling like clockwork, Haswell is coming up, Haswell may or may not have birthing problems, but if it does, why rush it to market? Why rush a half assed Haswell to market if IB is selling like clockwork (do to little competition?).
Makes sense in my head anyway.
Also on a slightly related note, if the competition (amd) did turn belly up, it might well be the second chance for something not x86 to come into play.
Anyways :). Smile, always :)