Will I notice a difference between Sata II and Sata III?

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
I'm planning on installing a SSD into my laptop by putting it into the laptop's optical bay drive using this. But I found out the optical drive only supports Sata II.

I would install the SSD in the regular HDD bay but the way my laptop is designed is that you need to disassemble it to access the HDD bay and I'm too scared of breaking it before my warranty has past. :(

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-e5-571g-disassembly/

So will I notice a difference in speeds between Sata II and Sata III?

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
While a modern SSD should saturate SATA-II bandwidth, the main benefit of an SSD, which is an access latency an order of magnitude faster than an HD, is still there. Chances are that you will not need or feel the SATA-II to SATA-III difference unless you're bandwidth limited instead of latency.

Eeqmcsq

Jan 6, 2009
I doubt you'll notice a difference. Unless you routinely deal with large files that take more than several seconds to read or write, you won't notice the difference between SATA II and SATA III.

As mentioned above, coming from a laptop HDD, the biggest difference will be the "quickness", or responsiveness, of reading/writing small data, which is something you would notice even if you went down to a SATA I connection.

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
While a modern SSD should saturate SATA-II bandwidth, the main benefit of an SSD, which is an access latency an order of magnitude faster than an HD, is still there. Chances are that you will not need or feel the SATA-II to SATA-III difference unless you're bandwidth limited instead of latency.

Is latency how long the SSD/HDD takes to access data?

I doubt you'll notice a difference. Unless you routinely deal with large files that take more than several seconds to read or write, you won't notice the difference between SATA II and SATA III.

As mentioned above, coming from a laptop HDD, the biggest difference will be the "quickness", or responsiveness, of reading/writing small data, which is something you would notice even if you went down to a SATA I connection.

Great! That's good to know.

Switched from SATA II to SATA III and unless you know all the under-the-hood stuff going on, you don't feel much. I switched back to II

That's good. I think I will install the SDD in the Sata III HDD caddy when a proper service manual for this laptop is released so I know exactly what I'm doing when I'm disassembling the laptop :)

Unrelated question but do you think this laptop will use more battery life having both a SDD and HDD installed at the same time?

Also one more question, is it worth getting a Samsung EVO drive if it's going to be using SATA II speeds anyway?

Last edited:

Fred B

Sep 4, 2013
But the important numbers are not sequential and have nothing to do with sata limits , like 50 procent is 4K reads and writes . That are the numbers that make ssd fast to my opinion.
And hitachi that produce sata 2 ssd claim to outperform sata 3 ssd , do not know if is real or not .

h9826790

Apr 19, 2014
For normal OS operation, NO, you won't feel any different.

For large file read / write, or something like 4k real time video editing, YES, it does.

Pinecallado

Dec 23, 2012
For normal OS operation, NO, you won't feel any different.

For large file read / write, or something like 4k real time video editing, YES, it does.

That's exactly what I'm planning to use this SSD for! As a OS drive. I'm not planing on transferring large file to this computer since I can just stream multimedia from my desktop and I'm going to be using this for mostly internet browsing.

But the important numbers are not sequential and have nothing to do with sata limits , like 50 procent is 4K reads and writes . That are the numbers that make ssd fast to my opinion.
And hitachi that produce sata 2 ssd claim to outperform sata 3 ssd , do not know if is real or not .

What is 4k read and write? I guess I should just google search it :D

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Unrelated question but do you think this laptop will use more battery life having both a SDD and HDD installed at the same time?

Also one more question, is it worth getting a Samsung EVO drive if it's going to be using SATA II speeds anyway?

for the first, if still using the HDD as the OS drive, no, I think it will be slightly less as a SSD will use more power than the optical drive it replaced. If you installed the OS to the SSD and run most if not all your programs from it, then yes, there might be a small increase as the hdd can go to sleep more often.

as to the second question. Getting a high performance might not be worth it, but most SSDs are going to be faster than sata 2 anyway, so any will be capped. Advantage is that if you do change it to sata 3 or move it to another computer later, having a sata 3 might work out then. For now, what ever is cost effective and known not to have too many issues / high rate of dieing.

life24

Mar 25, 2014
Introduction

When SATA 6Gb/s drives were first launched, there was a lot of confusion over whether or not you needed a special cable in order to get the full speed benefit of SATA 6Gb/s. While the official SATA-IO documentation states that there is no difference between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s cables, there were still some people that insisted that you needed a SATA 6Gb/s cable to fully utilize SATA 6Gb/s drives.

In order to debunk this myth, we examined a number of supposed SATA 3Gb/s cables and compared them to a SATA 6Gb/s cable in our SATA cables: Is there a difference? article. In that article, we found no significant physical or performance difference between any of the cables we tested. Due to how long ago that testing was performed, however, we have recently had some readers that have questioned the relevancy of that article. SATA drives are faster now than they were when SATA 6Gb/s was new and advances in SATA controller technology might change our results.

In order to determine if there is still no difference between SATA cables, we decided to revisit this topic. Luckily, relevant hardware and cables are readily available for us as a custom computer company, so this type of testing is very quick and easy for us to do. We will be using the latest Intel Z77 chipset, the fastest mainstream Intel SSD available, and cables that are currently being bundled with both Asus motherboards and Intel SSDs.

Test Cables

Some of the cables we used in our original SATA cable article are no longer being manufactured, so we decided to update our test cables to reflect those that you would find included with modern hardware. Many of these cables are not actually labeled as either SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s, but by researching the model number of the cable itself we were able to find the rated SATA revision for these cables.

Asus SATA 6Gb/s
P/N: 14G000130223 Asus SATA 3Gb/s
P/N: 14G00012707H Intel SATA 3Gb/s
P/N: E156437 Intel SATA 3Gb/s
P/N: E92245-001

The Asus cables are what come bundled with almost every modern Asus motherboard and are labeled in the manual as being compatible with either SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s. The two Intel cables are bundled with the retail version of Intel's SSD drives and required some research to find the compatible SATA revision. The black cable (E156437) is included with the Intel 320 series of SSDs, while the red cable (E92245-001) is included with the Intel 520 series of SSDs. Interestingly, looking up the specs for the actual cable reveals that both of these cables are only rated for SATA 3Gb/s even though the Intel 520 series of SSDs are rated for SATA 6Gb/s speeds. So clearly, Intel is not worrying about which SATA revision their cables are rated for.

Since our original SATA cable article, a few things have changed in regards to the physical cables. First, most of the cables we are testing have four ground wires (the bare wires) rather than three that was the norm in our last article. Second, one of the cables (The black Intel cable) actually has a slightly smaller gauge of wire. By our measurements, this wire (not counting the shielding) is .25mm in diameter (30 gauge), while the other cables are .4mm in diameter (26 gauge). We will find out if this has any impact on performance when we run our performance testing later in this article.

Test Setup

To compare the performance of each cable, we configured our test SSD as a secondary storage drive and ran CrystalDiskMark with each cable. We will be testing using both compressible (All 0x00) and incompressible (Random) data. We recently benchmarked the performance difference between these two types of data in our SSDs: Advertised vs. Actual Performance article, and the difference is large enough that we feel it necessary to use both types of data in our testing.

Our test system consists of the following hardware:

Testing Hardware
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev2
RAM: 2x Kingston DDR3-1600 4GB
Video Card: Intel HD 4000
Hard Drive: Intel 520 480GB SATA 6Gb/s
Chassis: Open Air Test Bench Testing Station

The Intel 520 480GB is one of the fastest mainstream drives currently available, with an advertised Sequential Read speed of 550 MB/s and a Sequential Write speed of 520 MB/s. This is much higher than the actual throughput of SATA 3Gb/s (roughly 300MB/s), so it should be very clear if the drive is being limited to SATA 3Gb/s speeds. Between each test we will perform a secure erase on the hard drive to ensure that the drive is operating at peak efficiency.

Performance Results

Starting with compressible data, we see virtually no performance difference with any of the cables. There are small variations, but all are well within the margin of error for a hard drive benchmark.

For incompressible data, we again see no performance difference outside of normal testing variations. Even the black Intel cable with a thinner gauge of wire shows no performance drop at any point in our testing.

Conclusion

Our results confirm that despite the faster hardware available today, there is still no performance difference between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s cables. The SATA 3Gb/s revision only supports transfer speeds around 300MB/s, yet we saw transfer speeds up to 500 MB/s with each cable that we tested. This clearly shows that the SATA revision designator on cables is mostly just marketing and has no bearing on the actual performance the cable can provide.

This is not to say that all cables are created equally, but rather that you cannot base the quality of the cable from the SATA revision it is supposed to be compatible with. A wire is a wire, and as long as the gauge of the wire is adequate, the end connections are good, and the right metal is used, there is no performance difference between one cable and another. The place where some users get into trouble is when they are using a particularly cheap cable that has either bad connections or uses sub-par materials. Even in those instances, however, you would see problems with the drives dropping or not being detected long before you see any sort of decrease in performance.

resource and see benchmarks:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

Fred B

Sep 4, 2013
That's exactly what I'm planning to use this SSD for! As a OS drive. I'm not planing on transferring large file to this computer since I can just stream multimedia from my desktop and I'm going to be using this for mostly internet browsing.

What is 4k read and write? I guess I should just google search it :D

That is a cluster of 8 sectors of 512B to make 4K and makes a great portion of system writes and reads . The sata 3 or faster get his real advantage above 32K and with 64K it reach top sequential speed .The 64K files are used a lot and ntfs prefers 64K above 32K but it is not always possible to use only 64K . The page file is 64K but with a lot of memory it is possible to disable it with caution to see if anything works correct ^_^