Question Will I lose the great ripple suppression with the Corsair 12vhpwr cable on my Corsair HX1200 connecting to an RTX 4080 or 4090

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
The Corsair HX1200 power supply has great low ripple measurements:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102-9.html

Thanks to filtering caps on the included cables

However the cable here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Premium-Individually-Sleeved-Type-4-12VHPWR-Cable/p/CP-8920331

Want to use that so do not have the insane cable clutter and cleaner power delivery to an NVIDIA Lovelace card without the stupid 4 8 PCI-E 6+2 pin adapter.

That cable does not appear bulky and thus it appears to not have the filtering caps.

I am trying to get best power delivery and ripple suppression as possible to an RTX 4080 or 4090 to mitigate/eliminate coil whine as much as possible. So is this going to take away the ripple suppression as it has no inline cap??

Of course rest of my PC will get the great ripple suppression as all other cables have filtering caps, but most power hungry and important component the Lovelace video card would be missing them from its cable.

Or is there a Corsair HX1200 PSU 12vhpwr cable that does have an inline cap for ripple suppression. If not how much will I lose.

And in such case would have to look to power supply that has great ripple suppression on its own without the filtering caps on the cables like the Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000/1200 Watt or eVGA SuperNova P2 1000/1200 watts assuming I can even get a native 12vhpwr that will connect to such PSUs 8 pin ports from them.

I have considered Sea Sonic PX or TX Prime 1000 watt or 1300 watt but they look worse quality wise and have 18 gauged wires and their caps only rated up to 40C where as Corsair HX and Super FLower Leadex platforms including themselves and eVGA SuperNOVA P2 units up to 50C and better quality per Johnny Guru and others here. Plus the known tripping issues of high end video cards with SeaSonic Ultra Prime PSUs.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
Also "load" can mean different things. Some people report it only in certain games. I think most cards have it in old games with uncapped framerates and no vsync. I can actually hear it on my card even on idle if I open the case panel, but it's only marginally worse in games.

Interesting you mention you hear it on your card at idle. I never have had that. Always during load except a super lite load like extremely old games or emulators like Dolphin. But any AAA game made in last 8-9 years loads even 3090 Ti at least 90%.

Just got my Aorus Master RTX 4090 that I had to drive 340 miles one way for for $2200. Only other choice was scalper prices of $2499 or more on ebay and that did not include taxes and after taxes they went to at least $2600. So I only paid $2300 when factoring in $100 cost for gas to drive there and back plus $2200 for GPU.

Hoping this is a great RTX 4090. It probably is as they are hard to get and I got one and saved $300 from the insane scalper prices.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's more of a "whirring" sound on idle than a while or buzz, but it's definitely coil noise. The card does use 30-35W of power on idle and gets fairly hot to touch, more than the 3090 did.

That is a decent deal given that it's impossible to get one at retail. Mine was $1920 on craigslist and was on the way for me during a road trip.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
It's more of a "whirring" sound on idle than a while or buzz, but it's definitely coil noise. The card does use 30-35W of power on idle and gets fairly hot to touch, more than the 3090 did.

That is a decent deal given that it's impossible to get one at retail. Mine was $1920 on craigslist and was on the way for me during a road trip.

Yes on ebay I would have had to pay at least $2600 or more inlcuding tax to get any Aorus Master. Those go for more than any card but the Strix probably because they have less chance of bad coil whine.

The Strix despite bad coil whine, people want them anyways because its Asus and do not care and they have a following and enthusiast fans more so than other companies despite their coil whine on Ampere and Lovelace high end GPUs.