Question Will I lose the great ripple suppression with the Corsair 12vhpwr cable on my Corsair HX1200 connecting to an RTX 4080 or 4090

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
The Corsair HX1200 power supply has great low ripple measurements:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102-9.html

Thanks to filtering caps on the included cables

However the cable here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Premium-Individually-Sleeved-Type-4-12VHPWR-Cable/p/CP-8920331

Want to use that so do not have the insane cable clutter and cleaner power delivery to an NVIDIA Lovelace card without the stupid 4 8 PCI-E 6+2 pin adapter.

That cable does not appear bulky and thus it appears to not have the filtering caps.

I am trying to get best power delivery and ripple suppression as possible to an RTX 4080 or 4090 to mitigate/eliminate coil whine as much as possible. So is this going to take away the ripple suppression as it has no inline cap??

Of course rest of my PC will get the great ripple suppression as all other cables have filtering caps, but most power hungry and important component the Lovelace video card would be missing them from its cable.

Or is there a Corsair HX1200 PSU 12vhpwr cable that does have an inline cap for ripple suppression. If not how much will I lose.

And in such case would have to look to power supply that has great ripple suppression on its own without the filtering caps on the cables like the Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000/1200 Watt or eVGA SuperNova P2 1000/1200 watts assuming I can even get a native 12vhpwr that will connect to such PSUs 8 pin ports from them.

I have considered Sea Sonic PX or TX Prime 1000 watt or 1300 watt but they look worse quality wise and have 18 gauged wires and their caps only rated up to 40C where as Corsair HX and Super FLower Leadex platforms including themselves and eVGA SuperNOVA P2 units up to 50C and better quality per Johnny Guru and others here. Plus the known tripping issues of high end video cards with SeaSonic Ultra Prime PSUs.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Jonny Guru is the Corsair PSU guy. You might try sending him a PM on this. Not sure when/if he'll see it. He doesn't seem to be a very frequent visitor lately.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
According to Corsair's site that you linked, the 12vhpwr cable is a 'Type 4' cable, which means it does have the filtering caps. Their 'Type 3' cables do not have the filtering caps in them.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
According to Corsair's site that you linked, the 12vhpwr cable is a 'Type 4' cable, which means it does have the filtering caps. Their 'Type 3' cables do not have the filtering caps in them.

Great was hoping for that.

But I assume the cable mod cables do not.

Is there any place that has the official Corsair type 4 cables with the filtering caps in stock even if I have to pay a higher price.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Great was hoping for that.

But I assume the cable mod cables do not.

Is there any place that has the official Corsair type 4 cables with the filtering caps in stock even if I have to pay a higher price.

12vhpwr cables seem to be sold out everywhere. You will need to just keep an eye out I think.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
12vhpwr cables seem to be sold out everywhere. You will need to just keep an eye out I think.

Wait I found one on ebay though higher price but not bad for a one time purchase.

Is this a Type 4 and all type 4 cables have the filtering cap? Meaning all type 4 have it not just the sleeved cables right as I do not think that ebay one is the sleeved one but rather it is this here:

That also has filtering capacitor/caps correct?

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'd be curious to know where they are hiding the caps if the cable is as pictured in the OP link to the Corsair site. I'd guess inside the connector, if so, I'd love to see a dissection of one!

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
Wow my local Micro Center of all places appears to have on:

Or is this too be to be true and not the right cable?

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
I am trying to get best power delivery and ripple suppression as possible to an RTX 4080 or 4090 to mitigate/eliminate coil whine as much as possible. So is this going to take away the ripple suppression as it has no inline cap??

Interesting. Can you hear an audible difference switching back and forth between the filtered and unfiltered cables?

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
Interesting. Can you hear an audible difference switching back and forth between the filtered and unfiltered cables?

Have not tested it but am trying to prepare as I am on the hunt for a coil whine or as little/consistent hish/faint coil whine as possible free GeForce rtx 4080 OR 4090. And geting best ripple suppression gives the best chances of all being eliminated. SO going for best lowest/whine free car and best ripple suppression going to such GPU for best and least coil whine experience.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Wait I found one on ebay though higher price but not bad for a one time purchase.

Is this a Type 4 and all type 4 cables have the filtering cap? Meaning all type 4 have it not just the sleeved cables right as I do not think that ebay one is the sleeved one but rather it is this here:

That also has filtering capacitor/caps correct?

Per reviews, and corsair's site, the Type 4 cables have the filtering caps. This is why the ripple of the 1200 and 1200i are so different. One comes with Type 3 cables, and one comes with Type 4 cables.

I'd be curious to know where they are hiding the caps if the cable is as pictured in the OP link to the Corsair site. I'd guess inside the connector, if so, I'd love to see a dissection of one!

You can see some details here: https://forum.corsair.com/blog/power-supply-units/explanation-of-rmi-new-type-4-cables/

Its an older post, and at that time only the RMi had them.

Quick Edit: These days, the RM does not have caps, the RMx does have caps.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Per reviews, and corsair's site, the Type 4 cables have the filtering caps. This is why the ripple of the 1200 and 1200i are so different. One comes with Type 3 cables, and one comes with Type 4 cables.

You can see some details here: https://forum.corsair.com/blog/power-supply-units/explanation-of-rmi-new-type-4-cables/

Its an older post, and at that time only the RMi had them.

Quick Edit: These days, the RM does not have caps, the RMx does have caps.
These cables from the link in the OP are not consistent with the cables in your link rather obviously. It would seem to me that a capacitor with high enough capacitance to serve as ripple suppression would probably be too large to be hidden. It might be safe to suppose that if you can't see them, they aren't present...?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
These cables from the link in the OP are not consistent with the cables in your link rather obviously. It would seem to me that a capacitor with high enough capacitance to serve as ripple suppression would probably be too large to be hidden. It might be safe to suppose that if you can't see them, they aren't present...?

Unless the photo is wrong, I would agree that they do not. But then it would be odd for Corsair to go against their own naming convention.

My type 4 cables (NOT 12vhpwr) have a piece of shrink tubing where the cap is right next to the GPU side of the connector for the 8 pins.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022

Johnny Guru says if you order Type 4 cables from Corsair they will have filtering caps in them.

I got this form Micro Center in pictures attached of the cable and box it came in. I would think it has caps if all Type 4 cables do.

Does the cable in my picture that I got look like it has a filtering cap or just unable to tell.

Attachments

• 20221201_225421.jpg
    20221201_225421.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221201_225428.jpg
    20221201_225428.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221201_225452.jpg
    20221201_225452.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Stuka87

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
From the photo, it doesn't appear to have any capacitors. Someone with an LCR meter would be able to tell if they were cleverly hidden somewhere, but such a thing seems unlikely to me.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
From the photo, it doesn't appear to have any capacitors. Someone with an LCR meter would be able to tell if they were cleverly hidden somewhere, but such a thing seems unlikely to me.

Yeah they do not have sleeves and even the sleeve cables say individually sleeved meaning each wire has a thin sleeve is not the whole set old wires with a sleeve around it so they both almost look to thin to have filtering cap, yet Corsair says all type 4 cables have the cap so maybe it is smaller somewhere I would hope as I just found a 4080 Aorus Master in stock at NewEgg for around MSRP and placed the order and hoping for a coil whine free experience.

Reactions: Stuka87

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022

You are right it is confirmed it does not as I just asked Johnny Guru on Corsair forums and he stated it does not have the filtering cap.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
You are right it is confirmed it does not as I just asked Johnny Guru on Corsair forums and he stated it does not have the filtering cap.
Should a quality PSU necessarily require additional filtering in the connecting leads? That's actually what I've been wondering in this thread. If so, there might be a DIY opportunity here for add-on capacitors.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I was wondering about this too. I just ordered one of these cables for the same PSU. I plan to use it anyway though, since the Nvidia adapter looks really clunky and ugly. My card has a fair amount of coil whine even with the adapter and stock cables that have the capacitors.

Last edited:

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
I was wondering about this too. I just ordered one of these cables for the same PSU. I plan to use it anyway though, since the Nvidia adapter looks really clunky and ugly. My card has a fair amount of coil whine even with the adapter and stock cables that have the capacitors.

What kind of RTX 4080/4090 do you have??

I am looking and torn between the 4080 or 4090 Aorus Master. Seems like the Aorus Master is the only card with a good VRM that has very faint to no coil whine

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's the MSI Suprim Liquid X model. I think any of the 4090 models can potentially have it, and there doesn't seem to be any single model that is consistently less likely to have it. My previous PNY 3090 had no coil whine. My case is on the floor though and I only hear it if I open the case.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
It's the MSI Suprim Liquid X model. I think any of the 4090 models can potentially have it, and there doesn't seem to be any single model that is consistently less likely to have it. My previous PNY 3090 had no coil whine. My case is on the floor though and I only hear it if I open the case.

If you search around most complaints about Asus cards having it bad and also MSI cards having too much of it as well.

Much less complaints about Gigabyte cards having it and Zotac and mixed reports on Founders Edition cards.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I saw the reddit discussion on that, but the sample size is just a few cards of each type. It's hard to conclude anything based on that, especially since coil whine is related to other PC components too.

Wolverine2349

Oct 9, 2022
I saw the reddit discussion on that, but the sample size is just a few cards of each type. It's hard to conclude anything based on that, especially since coil whine is related to other PC components too.

Might be true, though also look at this:

They seem to believe as well that Asus and MSI seem to be the worst and most likely to get bad coil whine.

This is only when GPU is under load. The whine does not exist at all if GPU is not under load. They also seem to believe 95% of whine is from the video card.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Also "load" can mean different things. Some people report it only in certain games. I think most cards have it in old games with uncapped framerates and no vsync. I can actually hear it on my card even on idle if I open the case panel, but it's only marginally worse in games.