Will I Die If I Eat This?

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
I bought some salmon and noticed some funny gray stuff just under the the skin. I cooked it anyway and it just doesn't seem right. I tasted it and it didn't taste that great. Taste like the gray stuff you pick out from chicken breast. I'm referring to the gray stuff my fork is pointing too.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Doesn't look too great either. Why don't you hop in the Pizza Delivery Suggestion thread and save yourself a horrible death?

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
The grey stuff is normal. Don't eat it if you don't want to.

I don't know man. I normally cook salmon 3 times a week. This is the first time I've noticed so much of this crap. Bought it from the fresh market section.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Okay, well I'm just going to scrape it off to the side and eat the rest. If I die and we win the group lotto that Vivi setup, who wants my shares?

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I've had fish 5 times in my life, it never tastes good. I don't think you can base possibly dying because of how it tastes. If that was the case, I would have died 5 times already.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Okay, it tasted like soggy crap so i threw it away. I ate the skin though since that was the only thing that cooked well. Fifteen dollars down the drain.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Okay, it tasted like soggy crap so i threw it away. I ate the skin though since that was the only thing that cooked well. Fifteen dollars down the drain.

Should've brought it back to the supermarket and got your money back. If it's not fresh it won't cook right.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's just subcutaneous fat. Salmon is a fatty fish anyway and the amount of fat under the skin varies through out the year depending on what it's eating.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I bought some salmon and noticed some funny gray stuff just under the the skin. I cooked it anyway and it just doesn't seem right. I tasted it and it didn't taste that great. Taste like the gray stuff you pick out from chicken breast. I'm referring to the gray stuff my fork is pointing too.

When I have to quote the OP, you fail.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004

...you ate the salmon skin?

I'll take your shares, and build a monument to your generosity. :)

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I'm thinking its just on the tail end of the expiration. You'll live, but its probably not exactly the best salmon ever.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I don't know what it's called but chicken breast has it.

It does not.

Are you talking about the white lines they sometimes have? Some kind of connective tissue, AFAIK? Or maybe how the edges look when your defrost in the microwave?

Otherwise, I got nothin' here.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
The "grey stuff in chicken" is that muck between the grain of the meat if you cook it wrong right?