Will I be limited with my PCIE 2.0 in the distant future?

jsmith0000

Banned
Sep 6, 2015
I only game on 1080P monitors.

Bought a new mainboard H81 chipset and GTX 970 and core i3 only realized after I could have bought a B85 wiith PCIE 3.0

Now I am worried that maybe down the road 8 or 12 years from now I will be limited with my 2.0 PCIE slot.

Am I going to have an issue on my 1080P monitor many many years down the road? How long and what exactly will it take for PCIE 2.0 to see a significant drop in FPS like starting with 15% and more?

Or is the 1150 socket and actual life of the motherboard, (2 socket for max 16GB RAM) be outdated to run anything by the time I cap out my PCIE 2.0 port bandwidth?

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
You will have more issues then just your pci slot if you are still trying to game on that thing 8 years from now. The socket is currently on the way out with the skylake cpu's. You purchased a bottom of the line haswell motherboard, as thus that is your computers life span.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You will have more issues then just your pci slot if you are still trying to game on that thing 8 years from now. The socket is currently on the way out with the skylake cpu's. You purchased a bottom of the line haswell motherboard, as thus that is your computers life span.

Little harsh.

As far as 8-10yrs go....Unrealistic even with today's latest and greatest hardware.

As far as your rig goes....It'll last till it no longer does what you need it to do.