Will HDR on PC be a disaster?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
My honest opinion - another kludge for LCD. I wish they would just pour their R&D budget into OLED instead. But I guess like all the LCD technologies they make for good stopgaps until OLED issues get sorted.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Something to note is I expect you will have to recode the renderer in games to take advantage of HDR. So as I understand it renderers right now have to turn what is essentially full range output from the code into something that looks good on limited DR monitors. If it knew it was renderering to full HDR it should in theory should be able to pass the full range output straight out, but it won't do that unless someone has specifically coded it to work.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
HDR is just high dynamic range, right?

Maybe I didnt read any of the articles on it, but I know Oblivion (2006) had an option to enable HDR, and that was 10 years ago. So how is this any better/different?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
HDR is just high dynamic range, right?

Maybe I didnt read any of the articles on it, but I know Oblivion (2006) had an option to enable HDR, and that was 10 years ago. So how is this any better/different?
Very different. I'd suggest just doing some regular google based research.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I wish they didn't use the HDR abbreviation.

I'm an old timer and I still see High Definition Radiosity when I read that.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Something to note is I expect you will have to recode the renderer in games to take advantage of HDR. So as I understand it renderers right now have to turn what is essentially full range output from the code into something that looks good on limited DR monitors. If it knew it was renderering to full HDR it should in theory should be able to pass the full range output straight out, but it won't do that unless someone has specifically coded it to work.

HDR is just high dynamic range, right? Maybe I didnt read any of the articles on it, but I know Oblivion (2006) had an option to enable HDR, and that was 10 years ago. So how is this any better/different?

HDRR is what we currently have - high dynamic range rendering. The game takes the darkest (ex: 0 nits) and brightest (ex: 23,000 nits) parts of any given scene in real time and effectively normalizes it all to fit within the range of 0 nits to 100 nits. Every game/engine probably uses a different rendering method to achieve this, but these HDR values are never sent to the display. The display only gets the standard 8-bit or 10-bit video stream (no HDR metadata) and reads it on the basis of that display's minimum and maximum brightness level (usually calibrated for 0-100 nits). This is an oversimplification. See here for more details about methods.

I would love to see every HDRR game get an update to pass along that HDR data to the display, but I'm not sure if that would require a change to the engine (likely), the API (likely), or the game itself (likely). Most likely we'll see an avalanche of "Remastered in HDR!!!1!" game releases in the next couple years.

It is analogous to DSR/VSR where the GPU will render a scene at 4K, but then downsample it to 1920x1080 because that's all the resolution that your monitor can display. There is a visible improvement, but it's not the same as the real thing.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I don't know much about this topic, I understand that HDR capable display devices will be needed but unsure of what technical detail makes them HDR ready and what sort of changes in rendering that will require. Are they just screens with a higher colour/luminosity space? And if so does that mean rendering on the PC will take more graphics horsepower? Kinda new to this so sorry if these are stupid questions.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I don't know much about this topic, I understand that HDR capable display devices will be needed but unsure of what technical detail makes them HDR ready and what sort of changes in rendering that will require. Are they just screens with a higher colour/luminosity space? And if so does that mean rendering on the PC will take more graphics horsepower? Kinda new to this so sorry if these are stupid questions.

It means the panels will be capable of showing more colors yes. Many things already render in more colors than can be displayed, so GPU work required might stay similar but yes it will probably require more as well. If nothing else people will use more elaborate lightning methods to better show off the range, which itself will require more gpu power.