Will having to register your guns stand up in court?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
Except that's not true. The military, even if part, or most was with the people they can't be everywhere, and citizens would still need to be able to defend themselves.

Yes, but they would be best equipped to do it from government armories. No weapon you are going to have on your person will defend you from an Abrams or an Apache Longbow or a Reaper or an A-10. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan for good examples of urban centers with a heavily armed populace trying to fend off the US military. Even with broader access to military hardware than is readily available to the US civilian population their insurgencies were largely ineffective, what success they had was largely not from small arms at all but instead improvised weaponry, and even that was before the widespread use of drones which make things even more lopsided.

I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but there was a scene is Les Miserables that really brought home this debate and fits very neatly to this overall point.

(which if they were, who would they be fighting against?)
I really have no idea. They seem to take exception to the idea of firing on American soldiers when I present the idea but they aren't really giving an alternate target for the focal point of their imagined revolt. The one world government perhaps? Free masons? UN peacekeepers? Who knows? You said it yourself, "the US military is made up of civilian volunteers that aren't going to decimate their own country just because the government tells them to" and so the identity of these faceless oppressors we must protect ourselves from will remain mysterious.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
However, in Illinois you still have to submit your fingerprints just to get a gun permit. So they are impeding your right to bear arms.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Your argument is based on fear. No one is looking to take away your guns. The point of the proposal we came up with is so guns don't have to be banned (if there are to be limits on the type of guns to be banned then that's not something I can talk about as I have no knowledge on the subject and I would only add that any weapon to be banned would have to be for good, provable evidence as to why it should be banned).

I've never heard of guns being taken without a just cause. Do you have examples?

HELLO! Katrina, San Francisco, D.C., Chicago, and now maybe even TODAY! Sunday, sneaky little devils.
http://isra.org/alerts/sunday.html

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Your argument is based on fear. No one is looking to take away your guns. The point of the proposal we came up with is so guns don't have to be banned (if there are to be limits on the type of guns to be banned then that's not something I can talk about as I have no knowledge on the subject and I would only add that any weapon to be banned would have to be for good, provable evidence as to why it should be banned).

I've never heard of guns being taken without a just cause. Do you have examples?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...ane_Katrina#Confiscation_of_civilian_firearms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

When people needed their gun the absolute most in their entire life the government illegally took them away from them at gunpoint and often using violence against law abiding citizens who had committed no crime nor were they even suspected of committing a crime.

Its about as worst case as it gets, when the police can not provide you any protection and have in fact lost control of the city to the criminals they remove your only defense against said criminals.

Luckily I live in Jefferson Parish and the police over here wanted law abiding citizens to be visibly armed because they could not offer timely protection either. Every single block around here that had a few guys with long guns slung over their shoulders was left alone by the thugs. The ones with no armed people didn't fare nearly as well.