Will hard drive from 2006 computer

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
work on a modern board? I have a Dell Dimension 5150. Going to scrap it as I'm buying a new rig.

The drive in my older system is a SATA drive. Looks like drives still use SATA but they run at a faster speed (1.5 GB/s vs 6 GB/s).

The mother board of my new system is the following

ASUS Z170-P Skylake Motherboard LGA 1151 - 4x DIMM - 2xPCI-E16 2xPCI-E1 - 4x SATA

The system has

250GB Samsung EVO SSD
1TB - Western Digital Blue hard disk

Will it work?

Anything I should look out for?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
It will work.

I would check S.M.A.R.T. though while you are at it to make sure the drive is still healthy.

Last edited:

Parether32

Feb 21, 2016
Yes you are saying correct that even an ide from 1990 will work .But as he said that he just going to buy bew pc ..In my thinking its not the problem ,,problem is that the new otherboard work on high speed but your hard will work on low data traveling speed so it could be the problem the board to work on efficiant

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
work on a modern board? I have a Dell Dimension 5150. Going to scrap it as I'm buying a new rig.

The drive in my older system is a SATA drive. Looks like drives still use SATA but they run at a faster speed (1.5 GB/s vs 6 GB/s).

The mother board of my new system is the following

ASUS Z170-P Skylake Motherboard LGA 1151 - 4x DIMM - 2xPCI-E16 2xPCI-E1 - 4x SATA

The system has

250GB Samsung EVO SSD
1TB - Western Digital Blue hard disk

Will it work?

Anything I should look out for?

Will it work? Yes indeed.

Will it be so slow you will want to stab your eyes out? Yes.

Pass on it. Hard drives are cheap!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Will it work? Yes indeed.

Will it be so slow you will want to stab your eyes out? Yes.

Pass on it. Hard drives are cheap!

I agree. HDDs are the slowest part of any modern system (excluding removable storage and networking), I can't think of a good reason to have a ten-year-old drive as fixed storage. Demote it to an externally-connected backup drive connected via USB3.

In an modern system, a 3.5" HDD from 2006 will likely do about 50-80MB/sec maximum throughput. A modern WD Black will do a max of about 180MB/sec.

I would also expect a more modern HDD to be significantly quieter than the whiners of that era.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I had a 2006 5150... I think it had a 80GB drive in it... hardly worth fooling with any longer unless you are using it as a scratch drive or something like that.

If you do continue to use it, I agree with cbn... run a SMART check on the drive just to see if it's even in good health, and then decide. Any errors at all, and I'd turn it into a doorstop or something.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
Like others have said, it will work, as Sata III is backwards compatible with Sata II & I devices. It will be a dog though, compared to newer hdd's :(

I have an old, old, old 74gb WD Raptor 10k rpm unit that was one of the 1st sata drives available, and it it still runs like a champ, even though I have it in an external case and only use it for storage...

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I have an old, old, old 74gb WD Raptor 10k rpm unit that was one of the 1st sata drives available, and it it still runs like a champ, even though I have it in an external case and only use it for storage...

This is probably the best use for that old HDD

pitz

Feb 11, 2010
I still run a Seagate 500gb, PATA, 7200rpm from ~2006 as my boot drive in the Linux server (i7-2600). In RAID-1 with another similar drive. Drive has around 75,000 hours on it, no reallocated or other errors (except for a few UDMA CRC link errors that resulted when I put it briefly into an external enclosure a few years back!). Only 'problem' with the drive is that a component or two literally fell off the PCB ~2 years ago due to bad solder joints at the Seagate factory rendering it inoperable. Nothing a little soldering couldn't fix though!

All depends upon what your expectations are. For most stuff, like compiling the Linux kernel or Mythtv, there is no difference between it and the 150mb/sec Hitachi/HGST 7K3000's that I also have in the machine.

Yes, sustained transfer rates have doubled/tripled in new drivers. But actuators are about the same speed, if not slightly slower these days due to the necessity of higher precision.

If its SATA, just plug it right in. If its PATA, you'll need either an adapter or a motherboard which supports PATA (my i7-2600's motherboard is one of the rare ones!).

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
It'll work. I'm sure you won't be using it as an OS drive. You'll probably just want to copy stuff off it or use it as secondary storage which will be fine. Chances are it'll be the noisiest and hottest thing in your new PC. :D

If you want to have fun, after copying off your data, generalize the computer with sysprep, then make a vhd image of the drive and load it in Virtual PC. It will redetect the hardware and then you have virtualized version of your old machine.