Will going wiresless n help my range problem??

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have been using a Linksys Wireless 54g router for probably the last 10 years. It's located in my basement and reaches everywhere except one upstairs area where the wireless Sony BD player is in a wood unit. I realize the simple solution is to take the player out of the unit but I really like it in there.

It's getting a 1 bar signal now and Netflix generally works but every now and then it poops out. I'm wondering if moving to a wireless n router would give me that little bit of extra range/data rate I need at this location?

But I don't want to waste time and money on a witch hunt if that won't work so I'm figuring some experts around here might be able to help me out.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Some Linksys 54g routers have removable antennas, does yours?

Also, you may be able to boost the transmit power by using a 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato. Again, some Linksys routers are compatible, others are not.

Post the complete model # and version # from the bottom label and we might be able to check...

PlastikSpork

Jan 24, 2012
I have been using a Linksys Wireless 54g router for probably the last 10 years. It's located in my basement and reaches everywhere except one upstairs area where the wireless Sony BD player is in a wood unit. I realize the simple solution is to take the player out of the unit but I really like it in there.

It's getting a 1 bar signal now and Netflix generally works but every now and then it poops out. I'm wondering if moving to a wireless n router would give me that little bit of extra range/data rate I need at this location?

But I don't want to waste time and money on a witch hunt if that won't work so I'm figuring some experts around here might be able to help me out.

Wireless N is not going to solve your problem. Buy a Powerline adapter to plug the BD Player into via ethernet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156402

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Some Linksys 54g routers have removable antennas, does yours?

Also, you may be able to boost the transmit power by using a 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato. Again, some Linksys routers are compatible, others are not.

Post the complete model # and version # from the bottom label and we might be able to check...

WRT54G V1.1
S/N CDF20C8A6908

Thanks for trying to help me out here.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
N can improve range/signal, but slightly. Read the sticky about antenna orientation and changing channel to 1, 6, 11 to see what works best. For example if the player is directly above the router then that is the worst place to be if antennas are like this | |

Try antennas like this - -

Fornax Eridanus

Nov 12, 2007
I agree with Spidey07,

The signal from the antenna is directional, more or less donut-shaped, so right above it is a bad spot. If your current router has only 1 antenna you are a bit out of luck since you can't aim it at all directions. If it has 2 adjustable antennas you can aim one horizontally covering most of your other appliances, and adjust the other antenna towards the appliance in the other direction.

Or, since you are happy with all but one connection, you might run a wired connection to that one appliance, if your building permits that. (Does the wireless Sony have a wired connection at all?)

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Wrt54g with ddwrt and make it into a wireless repeater or bridge (forget which works better)

For me it seemed like upgrading my router from g to n extended the range, but maybe that's just because a n signal at 10% gives u more speed than a g at the same range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just wanted to thank you guys for trying to help me out here. I decided to try an "n" router. I got the TP Link 1043. Setup was a breeze and now I get 2 bars instead of 1 bar at the trouble location. So I'm good. I just needed that little bit of extra bandwidth.