Question Will CPU supplies return? Ryzen 2700 (or replacement?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking

Jul 3, 2020
Greetings,

I've been patiently waiting out the pandemic and watching ridiculous price gouging on AMD Ryzen 2700 CPUs. Not all of the AMD line seems affected, so it's hard to know if one should keep waiting or if the 2700 is just being phased out.

Any insights on that, people?

I'd love to buy a newer Ryzen, but the Anandtech reviews of everything newer show that actual power usage on Ryzen 2 CPUs is way over advertised TDP, but the 2700 really does hover at or even below 65W. Is there any other CPU that can compete at this level of (honest) power consumption?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Why would you want a 2700x ? The 3700x uses less power is more powerful, and on newegg is $40 cheaper at $289

Agreed.

I understand people buying a 2700X (or the base 2700) when retailers/AMD were clearing them out at fire sale pricing (I think I got my 2700X for $130ish), but at this point in the game and at current pricing, a 3600 or 3700 makes way more sense.

If you must have a 2700 at a low price, you will likely need to buy a used on Ebay or like the FS/FT forums on various hardware sites.

Reactions: blckgrffn

asking

Jul 3, 2020
I don't want a 2700x. I want a 2700.

If you have a reference to show that the 3700x uses less power, I'd love to see it. If you read the following, it shows power usage by 2700x is less than its advertised TDP (and 2700 is similar but I don't have the link handy) whereas the Ryzen 2 chips are completely different:

Key quote:
The Ryzen 7 3700X is a 65 W processor, and yet we can see that the cores total up to 74 W by themselves, with the rest of the chip taking another 16W or so, totalling 90 W for the whole chip.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

If you have a reference to show that the 3700x uses less power, I'd love to see it. If you read the following, it shows power usage by 2700x is less than its advertised TDP (and 2700 is similar but I don't have the link handy) whereas the Ryzen 2 chips are completely different:

Key quote:
The Ryzen 7 3700X is a 65 W processor, and yet we can see that the cores total up to 74 W by themselves, with the rest of the chip taking another 16W or so, totalling 90 W for the whole chip.
No need to be defensive. I just said what I paid for my 2700X when the 3000 series launched, and the pricing has gone up once the remaining stock has dwindled. Anyways, it seems like you are determined to buy a 2700, so best of luck in your search.

asking

Jul 3, 2020
No need to be defensive. I just said what I paid for my 2700X when the 3000 series launched, and the pricing has gone up once the remaining stock has dwindled. Anyways, it seems like you are determined to buy a 2700, so best of luck in your search.

My first reply was written more to the statement @Markfw made; moreover there's no defensiveness or other attitude. Simply looking for accurate guidance in finding a chip that has the power profile of the 2700 (or close to it)

asking

Jul 3, 2020
The 3700x PROPERLY CONFIGURED will take less. If you don't want to figure out how to do that, good luck on your search. I am done here.

C'mon guys, I don't get it. I'm asking a specific question, gave you a link showing the research I'd done. You made a statement that didn't square with Anandtech's review so I'm asking if you can clarify or point me to some other reading I can do on the topic. I don't know why you've taken my inquiry the way you have? My words were not meant to disrespect anyone.

asking

Jul 3, 2020
You can configure the power consumption on a 3700x to whatever you want.

Can you elaborate? Are you referring to ECO mode? I've read mixed reviews on its efficacy and not a lot of clarity on even getting it enabled (and certainly not as a way to tune it to exactly what you want).

Rigg

May 6, 2020
What are you trying to achieve? The 3700x will give more performance vs the 2700 at a given power consumption. It is more power efficient and has better IPC. There are several ways to limit power consumption on the 3700x. The easiest is to go into the PBO menu in bios and set the PPT limit.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

Key quote:

The 2700 consumes the same amount as the 3700x by default. Both will consume 65W only if you turn off the extra boost option that is turned on by default on pretty much every retail board.

Source, I have a 2700 and my nephew has a 3600 that I helped him build.

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
I'm not sure where the early guys responding got a defensive nature from, I dont see it.

Whats your use case where a 2700 and a 3700x are somewhat interchangeable? For a lot of compute workloads, the 3600 will beat a 2700(x) due to the higher ipc, avx2, and more efficient node. Though it is (was) the bottom bin, so any higher tiers end up with better power efficiency within the zen2 lineup.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
OP
Consider getting a R5 3600 since it's more efficient than a R7 2700 and can match it in a lot of situations
R7 3700x consumes more or less the same as the R7 2700, while being faster in all scenarios. A no brainer in my opinion, specially if price is a non factor

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Greetings,

I've been patiently waiting out the pandemic and watching ridiculous price gouging on AMD Ryzen 2700 CPUs. Not all of the AMD line seems affected, so it's hard to know if one should keep waiting or if the 2700 is just being phased out.

Any insights on that, people?

I'd love to buy a newer Ryzen, but the Anandtech reviews of everything newer show that actual power usage on Ryzen 2 CPUs is way over advertised TDP, but the 2700 really does hover at or even below 65W. Is there any other CPU that can compete at this level of (honest) power consumption?
overall get a 3600 with b450, its cheap and good
forget about x570 chipset board, when you are looking at power levels
the whole system power of ryzen 3k system is greatly affected which chipset you use

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AMD will likely not produce any more Pinnacle Ridge CPUs except in the 1xxx line (AF CPUs). Best place to get a 2700 would be the used market. Prices seem inflated there though due to lack of availability.

Reactions: asking
Feb 4, 2009
Why not a 3600?
Better memory support, better performance. Appears to be similar wattage.

I totally understand if the 2700 is super, super cheap and/or the only thing you can afford. I don’t understand why someone chooses that platform now knowing that there are memory compatibility issues with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

asking

Jul 3, 2020
What are you trying to achieve?

Trying to achieve running a CPU at the power profile of the 2700.

The 3700x will give more performance vs the 2700 at a given power consumption. It is more power efficient and has better IPC

I have no doubt of that but my number one concern is power usage over performance

Why not a 3600?
Better memory support, better performance. Appears to be similar wattage.

Because, as I've tried to point out politely, Ryzen 2 chips were shown by Anandtech to run well above their advertised TDP, so no, it's not a similar wattage, as otherwise I'd certainly get a Ryzen 2 CPU. See the fourth post in this thread where I gave a link and the relevant quote.

memory compatibility issues with [the 2700]

Sorry, would you be able to point me to information about that? Thanks!

There are several ways to limit power consumption on the 3700x. The easiest is to go into the PBO menu in bios and set the PPT limit.

I see, so basically de-tune it? Is lowering the PPT the ideal way to achieve this? Do you know if all motherboards will provide support for doing so?

That does not square with @Markfw claiming it will run at an even lower(!) level than the 2700 if "PROPERLY CONFIGURED"... something the Anandtech review also seems to refute... which makes me think @Markfw was out of line and unwilling to have a civil conversation when it was pointed out he didn't know about or wasn't remembering one of the differences between Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 correctly.

Thanks, @Rigg for being more civil and helpful.

Feb 4, 2009
Trying to achieve running a CPU at the power profile of the 2700.

I have no doubt of that but my number one concern is power usage over performance

Because, as I've tried to point out politely, Ryzen 2 chips were shown by Anandtech to run well above their advertised TDP, so no, it's not a similar wattage, as otherwise I'd certainly get a Ryzen 2 CPU. See the fourth post in this thread where I gave a link and the relevant quote.

Sorry, would you be able to point me to information about that? Thanks!

I see, so basically de-tune it? Is lowering the PPT the ideal way to achieve this? Do you know if all motherboards will provide support for doing so?

That does not square with @Markfw claiming it will run at an even lower(!) level than the 2700 if "PROPERLY CONFIGURED"... something the Anandtech review also seems to refute... which makes me think @Markfw was out of line and unwilling to have a civil conversation when it was pointed out he didn't know about or wasn't remembering one of the differences between Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 correctly.

Thanks, @Rigg for being more civil and helpful.

Regarding memory compatibility simply look at any motherboards supported memory. You will see a difference between a 2700 & 3600.

Feb 4, 2009
OP, why is the power envelope of a 2700 so important to meet?
Is there a purpose to it or is it you don’t like buying something that isn’t represented correctly.

If it is the latter, buy a 2700 at whatever cost you can find it at.
Per google the 3400g & 2700 are nearly identical in performance and I know the g’s are made to be laptop parts so I’d assume the power will be lower.

Edit: per your previous post, why is a 9-16 watt power savings important. That is a trivial amount of energy

Last edited:

asking

Jul 3, 2020
overall get a 3600 with b450, its cheap and good forget about x570 chipset board, when you are looking at power levels the whole system power of ryzen 3k system is greatly affected which chipset you use

I saw that too, so thank you for confirming that - B450 is what I am shopping.

For the life of me I can't figure out why someone would pay more for a slower, less efficient chip? How would that save anyone money?

I've not mentioned money. Power usage is the concern.

AMD will likely not produce any more Pinnacle Ridge CPUs except in the 1xxx line (AF CPUs). Best place to get a 2700 would be the used market. Prices seem inflated there though due to lack of availability.

Thanks, that's the bad news I needed to know :)

OP, why is the power envelope of a 2700 so important to meet? Is there a purpose to it or is it you don’t like buying something that isn’t represented correctly.

No, it's not ideological. The deployment is a power-constrained environment, that's all.

Per google the 3400g & 2700 are nearly identical in performance and I know the g’s are made to be laptop parts so I’d assume the power will be lower.

Thanks for pointing that out. Giving up half the cores for that is a bit much. Looks like the best options as I can see are to fork over unfair prices for the 2700 or go with a 3700x and detune the PPT --- I'm leaning toward the latter for the other benefits of buying Ryzen 2.

Does anyone know if I should be looking at a subset of motherboards that will give me the tuning items I need in BIOS? Or do all of them offer the necessary settings? Is the PPT trick the best, sure-fire way to achieve my goal?

Thanks for the more friendly responses today everyone! Appreciated from a newcomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.