Will BF3 break COD's record!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Of course it will be and for good reason, ARMA was too realistic for the average person to play. Sure some realism is fun but making a game too realistic means balance sucks, and the whole game suffers.

that just means it's catering to a different audience. some people are looking for a hard/realistic game.

bf promotes team play for the most part, which is good and fun. it's slower paced than cod and more campy for the most part. In BF, if you can't aim you can still hop in a tank and gun. you can drop health packs and rack up your score.

cod4 is faster and more twitchy. It's also probably more skill based in terms of fps skill. People camp but run n gun is better. Maps are smaller but that means you have to react faster and predict better.

Some people might only like one style. Or I know a guy that will only play BF because he will get destroyed in another game (ie 1.6) because he can't adapt. So some people will stick to one. But there's fun to be had with both games. I'll admit mw does seem to get dlc happy and release happy but even bf2 had at least 2 or 3 expansions.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
BF is ALL about teamwork, because you need 4 people if you want to deal with a tank. Some people, myself included, love this team-based gameplay.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
EA porked Steam in a bad way.

I had to google that, it seems EA wanted their dlc to go through them and not Steam. So now EA has pulled Dragon Age 2 out of Steam and Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 won't be on steam at all... oh and star wars republic.

Man thats lame, I love steam. I don't ever want to go back to buying physical DVDs and DVD checks etc. Don't really trust Origin either.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
agreed, and not only that, in my experience, trying to get a vehicle, even a jeep just to get a ride, is next to impossible. everyone rushes for the vehicles to get to combat and they either waste the vehicle because they don't know how to use it, don't share it, tk for it, or if you don't get a vehicle, you're going to die instantly.

Find a regular server to play on that emphasizes team play. Get to know the other players and soon you'll realize why BF can be so rewarding when teamwork and good strategy can make generate an epic round of game play.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
What do you consider "dumbed down"? The fact that you can actually kill someone with bullets? The biggest problem I have with BF is the # of bullets I have to put into someone.

Then play hardcore mode. The thing that I can't stand about COD is how you can gain a perk that makes you impervious. Pretty ghey imho.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I had to google that, it seems EA wanted their dlc to go through them and not Steam. So now EA has pulled Dragon Age 2 out of Steam and Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 won't be on steam at all... oh and star wars republic.

Man thats lame, I love steam. I don't ever want to go back to buying physical DVDs and DVD checks etc. Don't really trust Origin either.

There's actually another story http://www.giantbomb.com/news/crysi...relationship-with-steam-unknown-updated/3382/ saying that "It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA." So it's hard to tell who's at fault.

I agree with you though, I want to pre-order BF3, but not if I have to get it through Origin. D2D has it: http://www.direct2drive.com/2/10557/product/Buy-Battlefield-3-Limited-Edition-Download but Steam's service is superior.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I just read a 2nd thread, this one show a jpeg of the Origin contract when downloading games, you can only download them for one year then it's null and void. If true I will never make a purchase from that site. Steam last forever, thats what I like about them, they auto update, make online game connections etc (no refunds though the bitches) I don't have to have physical CDs, I don't need to have them in the CD trays for CD check.

I'm really pissed at EA right now but I'm still going to buy BF3 but at a store because I might play it longer then 1 year.

EDIT: Is this EA's policies?

2 year limited re-download?5 install limit?Janky ass DRM?SIGN ME U...NO WAIT FUCK OFF.Also theres a thing in there TOS that if you account is inactive for two years they delete it.

5. Content and Entitlement Availability

Entitlements may only be held in Accounts belonging to legal residents of countries where access to and use of Content and Entitlements is permitted. Entitlements may be purchased or acquired only from EA or an authorized retailer. EA reserves the right to refuse your request(s) to acquire Entitlements, and EA reserves the right to limit or block any request to acquire Entitlements for any reason.

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

I'm going to have to go back to buying boxed games and not liking it at all.

Last edited:

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
No Expiration for Origin Downloads

209 of 332 people found this article helpful.

Print

The Origin terms of service are designed to protect against misuse of the Origin system. No Origin user who has paid entitlements and/or downloaded games will have their account cancelled or games expired due to extended non-use. The term regarding account cancellation for non-use is designed to guard against creation of non-active accounts for inappropriate reasons.

I happened upon this yesterday

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I've been a huge fan of both franchises since the very beginning. Stopped playing CoD after the black ops fuck up.

The amount of fun I've had with battlefield's multiplayer far exceeds anything I've experienced in CoD.

marino.DV

Sep 5, 2011
well don't really think so; and this will happen only because of the big publicity CoD has had. We can't say the same about BF :(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Find a regular server to play on that emphasizes team play. Get to know the other players and soon you'll realize why BF can be so rewarding when teamwork and good strategy can make generate an epic round of game play.

its not just that. i hate the way the weapons handle. They are extremely inaccurate and weak. the weapon handling hasn't changed at all between games.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Then play hardcore mode. The thing that I can't stand about COD is how you can gain a perk that makes you impervious. Pretty ghey imho.

There is no perk in CoD that makes you impervious. There aren't even any perks that help you take more damage at all. And playing hardcore removes the ability to mark people which was one of the things I really liked. I played BF a long time until Modern Warfare.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
1688066-fanboi_anatomy_super.jpg

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
CoD will sell more. But everyone here will say BF3 is a better game because that's the "true gamer" thing to do, regardless of how good or bad either title is.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
There is no perk in CoD that makes you impervious. There aren't even any perks that help you take more damage at all. And playing hardcore removes the ability to mark people which was one of the things I really liked. I played BF a long time until Modern Warfare.

I was thinking about the Juggernaut perk which allows you to take on more damage. I was disappointed that BC2 went the route of perks too which I believe BF3 will also have. MW is just too arcade for me.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I don't understand why even forum on the web has a CoD vs. BF thread, as if they're even remotely similar games. Yes, the setting is the same obviously but CoD is a razer-sharp twitch infantry shooter and BF is a large scale vehicular combat game. In the last few iterations BF has made improvements to its infantry game in terms of movement and net code, but it's still all about the vehicles.

CoD plays like this:

"There's the enemy, I'm going to throw a nade and try to flank around this building. Damn! I didn't see his friend hiding there and now I'm dead."

BF plays like this:

"There's the enemy, I'm going to throw a nade and try to flank around this building. OH SHIT, a huge fucking tank just burst through the fence and is headed straight for me. I need to hide behind that wall and try to toss c4 on it before it sees me. Haha damn! one of our choppers just flew over and sent a missle up that tank's ass.

Radio: nice shot mang!
Chopper: roger that!

Now the way is clear to get that fucker I was after. Shit, the exploding tank just blew the wall out on the building and it's about to come down. Should I hide? There he is, shoot him! Damn! I didn't see his friend hiding there and now I'm dead."

Same premise, totally different gameplay experiences. There's no reason not to get them both depending on what you're in the mood for.

Last edited:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I was thinking about the Juggernaut perk which allows you to take on more damage. I was disappointed that BC2 went the route of perks too which I believe BF3 will also have. MW is just too arcade for me.

The juggernaut perk was only in one game and you could still kill them faster than if it was bad company.