Will Abortion Kill the Filibuster?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Each of the court decisions of the past week has interpreted federal laws that affect the use of mifepristone.
And Congress could make these cases largely irrelevant by passing a new law that clearly gave — or denied — women access to mifepristone and other drugs used in medication abortions.

if Dems take all 3 chambers in 2024 (as expected if Trump is the Repub nominee) then yes they should kill the filibuster and have abortion be outright legal in all 50 states.

Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Each of the court decisions of the past week has interpreted federal laws that affect the use of mifepristone.
And Congress could make these cases largely irrelevant by passing a new law that clearly gave — or denied — women access to mifepristone and other drugs used in medication abortions.

if Dems take all 3 chambers in 2024 (as expected if Trump is the Repub nominee) then yes they should kill the filibuster and have abortion be outright legal in all 50 states.
If there is a 2024 blue wave then maybe

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005

I think this is extremely optimistic. The Senate races strongly favor the Republicans this time around and the House will likely be a toss up.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I think this is extremely optimistic. The Senate races strongly favor the Republicans this time around and the House will likely be a toss up.

It's still a ways out, but there are really only two races where D's are incumbents that are likely to be "problems". One is Tester, the other is Manchin.

As for the house, I think that if current trends continue, the GQP is probably in a bit of trouble. They're going to get battered by the trifecta of Trump/Abortion bans/guns. It's only getting worse for them since the midterms, and that was historically bad.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Lol DeSantis signed in a 6 week ban for Florida?

I dont think goppers is gonna play by the rules 2024…..

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The system is fucked, too many shithole regressive tiny red states have over-representation in the senate, as well as in the house. Dems are not going to get enough power to do anything dramatic. This is why I argue the battle lines have been drawn. Do I wish we could do it legislatively? I mean of course I'd love it to go that way. But the system is rigged for the regressive states and populations. They are totally over-represented in government, and nobody is going to change that.

So prepare for the worst.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The system is fucked, too many shithole regressive tiny red states have over-representation in the senate, as well as in the house. Dems are not going to get enough power to do anything dramatic. This is why I argue the battle lines have been drawn. Do I wish we could do it legislatively? I mean of course I'd love it to go that way. But the system is rigged for the regressive states and populations. They are totally over-represented in government, and nobody is going to change that.

So prepare for the worst.
You know how Elon bought out liberal Twitter just to make it into Truth 2.0 aka cesspool of right wing trolls? How about everyone non-GOP do the same? Pool resources together and buy Fox News with the only purpose of turning it into something else... or run it into the ground. Think about all those cult members you could reach when you switch the content up 180, from lies and propaganda to non biased journalism. I think it would turn heads.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You know how Elon bought out liberal Twitter just to make it into Truth 2.0 aka cesspool of right wing trolls? How about everyone non-GOP do the same? Pool resources together and buy Fox News with the only purpose of turning it into something else... or run it into the ground. Think about all those cult members you could reach when you switch the content up 180, from lies and propaganda to non biased journalism. I think it would turn heads.

You can fantasize all you want, but this is not going to happen. And neither will it change that the Senate and House are overrepresented by shithole states with more jackwagons than decent people. Its not going to happen by some magical billionaire buying Fox and it's not going to happen in the Senate or House.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
You can fantasize all you want, but this is not going to happen. And neither will it change that the Senate and House are overrepresented by shithole states with more jackwagons than decent people. Its not going to happen by some magical billionaire buying Fox and it's not going to happen in the Senate or House.
Defeatism is a hell of a drug

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Defeatism is a hell of a drug

You don't exist in reality. I ain't going down with a bunch of idiots that think Fox News is doing to be bought out and change the mind of millions of horrible people. That's moronic to the nth degree.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
You don't exist in reality. I ain't going down with a bunch of idiots that think Fox News is doing to be bought out and change the mind of millions of horrible people. That's moronic to the nth degree.
I can tell you’re hurting so Im gonna leave you alone.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Why isnt the filibuster dead already? The answer is probably because even though dems expanded their majority by a seat, theyre keeping it in place (assuming they could get it past sinemanchin) because the filibuster empowers the minority party, and with repubs controlling the house theres no agenda being impacted as the house wont advance liberal legislation.