Will 1060 be as bad for VR as previous pascal cards? (broken DP, no Asyn compute etc)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
As a 1070 owner, it's a pretty big deal imo. Most people don't have DP monitors, but HDMI or DVI. If it's HDMI only, you need to get an adapter, which both adds to the cost of the card and the time before you can use it. I find it pretty laughable that people find a defective $400+ card acceptable.

The way it reads to me, the problem is plugging the Vive directly into the card. It has nothing to do with your monitor. So why is it a big deal to plug the Vive into your GPU with an HDMI cable, rather than a DP?

"We are aware of user reports of an incompatibility when plugging HTC Vive into GeForce GTX 1080 using the DisplayPort connector. HTC and NVIDIA are investigating the issue. In the interim, we recommend users connect HTC Vive to the HDMI port on GeForce GTX 1080," said Bryan Del Rizzo, Senior PR Manager, Consumer Products.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
The way it reads to me, the problem is plugging the Vive directly into the card. It has nothing to do with your monitor. So why is it a big deal to plug the Vive into your GPU with an HDMI cable, rather than a DP?

I think he is saying that if a monitor is connected via HDMI, there is no other available HDMI port (at least on the FE card) to plug the Vive into.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I think he is saying that if a monitor is connected via HDMI, there is no other available HDMI port (at least on the FE card) to plug the Vive into.

Ah. Don't they make super cheap DVI->HDMI adapters for that, as long as you don't use it for sound too?

I guess it can be annoying either way.

Last edited:

Sushisamurai

Jan 21, 2015
The Vive works, but atm, only through HDMI, which is not much of a limitation. So you use a different cord, big deal. And they already mentioned they have a fix on the way.

I'm not sure of async has any affect on VR. We'll see I guess.

I'm not sure what this DP bug/issue with Nvidia is all about in regard to the Vive (haven't been following the Vive too much as of late), but HDMI at Vive's 1.4 standard would limit you to 60Hz, far short of the 90Hz DP that DP would support.

For VR that's a huge point. You definitely need a higher frame rate/refresh rate so you don't get motion sick.

As for asynchronous compute/shaders, I'm not sure what nvidia's plans/issues are, but that's free performance for DX12, with a very old anandtech review showing +6-10% FPS at 1080p and 1440p.

Edit: I'm currently in China, and they have this Time Crisis like game for the Vive. You have two pistols with independent reloads, and you have to duck/move between cover physically while shooting bad guys. After playing that, VR is the future of gaming, without a doubt.

Last edited:

pj-

May 5, 2015
I'm not sure what this DP bug/issue with Nvidia is all about in regard to the Vive (haven't been following the Vive too much as of late), but HDMI at Vive's 1.4 standard would limit you to 60Hz, far short of the 90Hz DP that DP would support.

For VR that's a huge point. You definitely need a higher frame rate/refresh rate so you don't get motion sick.

You are completely wrong. Vive only ships with an HDMI cable and 1.4 is more than capable of driving its two 1080x1200 screens at 90hz. The total pixels per second comes in a bit under the 1.4 max which is 4k30fps.

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
As for asynchronous compute/shaders, I'm not sure what nvidia's plans/issues are, but that's free performance for DX12, with a very old anandtech review showing +6-10% FPS at 1080p and 1440p.

Free performance perhaps, but no free from a development time perspective. And this is really the main issue with a lot of these new features, including stuff like Nvidia's single pass stereo rendering. None of these features are really plug and play, and thus it is up to the developer if they want to spend the necessary time implementing it.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
if Pascal lacks async compute, why their sponsored game (Rise of the Tomb Raider) just released a patch with Async Compute support for Pascal and GCN 1.1?

pj-

May 5, 2015
Free performance perhaps, but no free from a development time perspective. And this is really the main issue with a lot of these new features, including stuff like Nvidia's single pass stereo rendering. None of these features are really plug and play, and thus it is up to the developer if they want to spend the necessary time implementing it.

I dunno how true that is specifically regarding the single pass stereo. It's being integrated into UE4 and Unity which account for a huge percentage of VR games right now.

It seems like it should be almost to actually no work for the devs, aside from upgrading the project to the new engine version when the feature is implemented.

littleg

Jul 9, 2015

Edit: I'm currently in China, and they have this Time Crisis like game for the Vive. You have two pistols with independent reloads, and you have to duck/move between cover physically while shooting bad guys. After playing that, VR is the future of gaming, without a doubt.

Whereabouts in China are you?

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
I dunno how true that is specifically regarding the single pass stereo. It's being integrated into UE4 and Unity which account for a huge percentage of VR games right now.

Are you sure about this (Nvidia's single pass stereo being integrated in UE4 and Unity)?

I know that both UE4 and Unity are working on features similar to Nvidia's single pass stereo, but I didn't know that they implemented Nvidia's setup. For instance UE4 has it's own version called instanced stereo rendering.

UE4 does integrate Nvidia's multi-res shading, but that's a separate feature (which can be utilized for lens matched shading amongst other things).

pj-

May 5, 2015
Are you sure about this (Nvidia's single pass stereo being integrated in UE4 and Unity)?

I know that both UE4 and Unity are working on features similar to Nvidia's single pass stereo, but I didn't know that they implemented Nvidia's setup. For instance UE4 has it's own version called instanced stereo rendering.

UE4 does integrate Nvidia's multi-res shading, but that's a separate feature (which can be utilized for lens matched shading amongst other things).

http://www.roadtovr.com/unreal-engine-unity-vr-simultaneous-multi-projection-smp-nvidia/

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

This thread has no purpose, even if its not a troll thread, which it is.

Locking

Markfw900
Anandtech Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.